+ Reply to Thread

Thread: trane rtac wont respond to start command

Post Likes

trane rtac wont respond to start command

I have a tRANE RTAC2504 air cooled chiller that will not start when given a start command. The flow switch is closed the return water is 56f and the setpoint is 44. I have 22 volts dc @ the circuit but the chiller just stays in start inhibit with no response. I used to have a friend @ trane but he moved on and trane will not give me any help ot tech assistance

Post Likes
    Maybe Tracer is holding it off. Try local mode. If you are using Techview you should be able to see the problem.

Post Likes
    Your start/stop relay probably isn't made.

Post Likes
    First, make sure the chiller is in LOCAL control and then jump out the SS on the card, then see what happens.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane_Dude View Post
    First, make sure the chiller is in LOCAL control and then jump out the SS on the card, then see what happens.
    If the chiller is in local and you hit auto, it does'nt care if the remote ss contacts are made,or not, does it? Hit local in setpoints, and if it still does not run, and says start inhibited it should tell you why when you touch the start inhibited line. I.E. start inhibited by low saturated cond. temp. Just a guess. What is the ambient temp.? Does it have low ambient capability?

Post Likes
    If the chiller is in BAS control and is not occupied by BAS it will not start even if the SS is closed. That's why I say put the machine in LOCAL control and close the SS. If it still says inhibited by and external source then there is something wrong with the SS input.

If it just says inhibited then there is something else going on. It should say inhibited by an external source.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    If the chiller is in local and you hit auto, it does'nt care if the remote ss contacts are made,or not, does it? Hit local in setpoints, and if it still does not run, and says start inhibited it should tell you why when you touch the start inhibited line. I.E. start inhibited by low saturated cond. temp. Just a guess. What is the ambient temp.? Does it have low ambient capability?
    The SS contacts still have to be made when the chiller is in local. The local/remote setting is only for BAS control.

Post Likes
    Check the 115 Volt control circuit. There is a fuse in with the condenser fan fuses, it is a 10 amp fuse. If it is bad look for bad solenoids on the compressors or any thing in the 115 volt circuit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kmay2691 View Post
    Check the 115 Volt control circuit. There is a fuse in with the condenser fan fuses, it is a 10 amp fuse. If it is bad look for bad solenoids on the compressors or any thing in the 115 volt circuit.
    If that fuse was bad, you wouldn't have any control power and the display would be blank.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    If that fuse was bad, you wouldn't have any control power and the display would be blank.
    Nope, dyna view is powered thru 24 volts and will be on, trust me I have fixed this numerous times.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kmay2691 View Post
    Nope, dyna view is powered thru 24 volts and will be on, trust me I have fixed this numerous times.
    Your right, DynaView is powered by 24 volt circuit. I had my fuses confused....but how would the 115 volt volt fuse being blown cause a start inhibit since the SS LLID is a dry contact and all the LLID's are 24vdc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Your right, DynaView is powered by 24 volt circuit. I had my fuses confused....but how would the 115 volt volt fuse being blown cause a start inhibit since the SS LLID is a dry contact and all the LLID's are 24vdc.
    Flow Switch is an optical input powered thru the 115 volt circuit, No flow switch no chiller start.

Post Likes
    sorry guys i have been in south carolina and ga on service calls and do not have acomputer in my truck. Turns out that the unitonly had 20 psi of 134 and the transducer read this as 21 degrees of ambient temp. Unplugged 1st stage transducer and second stage came right up.Thanks for all the help

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in