Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The York is a nice unit, and the 600 would be a better humidifier, but i prefer stemers on heat pumps.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by jt47
    Trane is having a "recall" of somesort, with the XLi16.
    I heard a field rep.( with Lyon, Conklin - Trane Dist.
    in your area and also ours @ St.Michaels) mention this
    but not sure what the problem might be. American Standard/Trane jointly with Copeland have designed a new
    dual capacity scroll compressor.....this will a great compressor but may have early model problems.
    Well, given the problem with the XLi16 would you go with the XLi14 or York Twin-Single? Thanks.

Kelly

[Edited by kcrossley on 01-23-2005 at 06:17 PM]

Originally posted by beenthere
    The York is a nice unit, and the 600 would be a better humidifier, but i prefer stemers on heat pumps.
    beenthere trust your opinion and advise. Maybe should repost, but here goes ,variable speed fan drive(Carrier}, attic system heatpump,not insulated well and new construction. What humidifier would you install? Figure with the variable speed and metal duct multiple condensate problems in attic. 49FH with Thermidistat,heat tape,copper drain insulated, emergency drain pan,float switch, is what I'm thinking, although don't like the idea of putting a humidifier in a attic.

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, given the problem with the XLi16 would you go with the XLi14 or York Twin-Single? Thanks.

Kelly

Don't know the York all that well but I think they use
    the new Bristol reversible dual capacity precipitating compressor.
    You can't go wrong with the Trane if it is INSTALLED & maintained proper. XL14i or XL16i are great....I think the
    recall is on R22, 16 seer, American Standard Heritage series units. I believe the R410a units are ok.
    At any rate their 10 year parts & labor warranty are the way to go.

You can't go wrong with the Trane if it is INSTALLED & maintained proper. XL14i or XL16i are great.... [/B][/QUOTE]

What are the major differences between the XL14i and XL16i?

What are the major differences between the XL14i and XL16i? [/B][/QUOTE]

The XL14i has the recip' compressor but the XL16i
    has the new staged scroll compressor... 16i has a bit more
    coil area not much else.

A 16 seer 2 stage York compared to a 14 seer single stage Trane for the same price? Are the warrantys the same?

I think I'd pick the York myself, but I'm just a homeowner so what do I know?

I'd make sure whatever air handler that they are specifying is a proper match for either system to get the full seer rating. Also I'd compare the HPSF of each system. A higher HPSF means it better at heating.

I don't have a bias one way or the other. I used to live in an apartment complex where there were several York heat pumps(probably 10 seer) that had many problems(hack installed?), but that was several years ago. I've also read here that Trane's quality isn't what it used to be(some Trane compressors are made in Mexico) either so who knows?

Randall

edit: Maybe I am biased a little bit towards more bang for the same buck!

[Edited by rcp on 01-24-2005 at 06:31 AM]

Isn't the XL16i a two-stage heating and three-stage cooling system? I thought the XL14i wasn't?

Originally posted by topdog
    Originally posted by beenthere
    The York is a nice unit, and the 600 would be a better humidifier, but i prefer steamers on heat pumps.
    beenthere trust your opinion and advise. Maybe should repost, but here goes ,variable speed fan drive(Carrier}, attic system heatpump,not insulated well and new construction. What humidifier would you install? Figure with the variable speed and metal duct multiple condensate problems in attic. 49FH with Thermidistat,heat tape,copper drain insulated, emergency drain pan,float switch, is what I'm thinking, although don't like the idea of putting a humidifier in a attic.
    I have 1 steamer in a semi finnished attic, but it never gets below 40.

I have never had enough guts to put 1 in an unconditioned space even with all the good measures your taking, because of the fear of a power failure. If the water line burst, no way to stop the water from goig all over the place.

But, if I had to, I would put a pressure reducing valve on the water line some where in a conditioned space, and set it low, and also a pressure switch and selinoid to close if the pressure drops to low, incase a pipe did burst.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks beenthere. Trying to find some way of getting customer what he wants, without getting company into trouble.

You can't go wrong with the Trane if it is INSTALLED & maintained proper....
    ....At any rate their 10 year parts & labor warranty are the way to go.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Jt, You can go wrong with any of the major brands if they are installed and maintained properly. Especially if you get the 10 year parts and labor.

Proper Installation is the most important thing in making a system operate properly. 90% of the life of your equipment is maintanence. 75% of the maintanence is changing the filters on a proper schedule.

Originally posted by indiana tech
    You can't go wrong with the Trane if it is INSTALLED & maintained proper....
    ....At any rate their 10 year parts & labor warranty are the way to go.
    -----------------------------------
    Jt, You can go wrong with any of the major brands if they are installed and maintained properly. Especially if you get the 10 year parts and labor.

Proper Installation is the most important thing in making a system operate properly. 90% of the life of your equipment is maintanence. 75% of the maintanence is changing the filters on a proper schedule. [/B][/QUOTE]
    -----------------------------------
    These days, Indiana Tech , I'm sure you know all too well,
    that "entry level" in our trade is usually the "install dept." Most HVAC company's go thru lots of "installers" and
    some, if not supervised properly, can and do make some critical mistakes. And this really gets amplified when we "over sell" and get pressed too hard.....now this does happen in the real world but never in the ideal world!
    If I'm gonna get cut on I wanta know how good that doctor is. It wouldn't hurt for the home owners to check out their installers a little. This is a great forum for the home owners to get some good pointers. ( might have to spit out a few bones once in a while! lol)
    Again the 10 year parts & labor today is worth every penny!

I have newer Trane heatpump (XL1400) with matching coil and variable speed air handler, and resistance heat strips. I want a thermostat, that in heat mode, will slowly ramp-up (in 2 degree increments) to my desired temperature. I want it to slowly ramp-up in these 2 degree increments so that the resistance heat will NOT activate. For example; Night time setback is at 65. Thermostat is programmed to increase temperature to 72 by 6am. Using a "normal" thermostat, thermostat will see 72 degree setting at 6am, will turn on heat pump and ALSO activate aux. resistance heat. I DO NOT want aux. heat to be activated! Any recommendations on a reliable thermostat that will bring up the temperature gradually in 2-3 degree increments while NOT activating aux. heat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast