Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We installed a 13 SEER 2T affinity HP 2 days ago. It has now gone into hard lock out on fault code 3. It is set up as a hot heat pump with a variable speed indoor blower. Fault code 3 can be high pressure in defrost, high pressure in heating mode, or low pressure. Looking for some help. Our temperatures have been 5 below to 10 degrees since it was installed. My question is could this be related to the defrost curves you can pick from on the circuit board? These curves change how the unit responds to defrost, but unfortunately, the manual does not give you specific parameters. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Joel

Ok I'm wingin this so bear with me if it aint correct. This is the E2FH Yorkguard V control
    Dirty Filters.....beins two days not this apparently

Discharge Sensor

Low Refrigerant charge

Non Condensible Gases... floating head or suction pressure?

Refrigerant restriction... Shows up as more than 10 degrees sub cooling in indoor coil. Most restrictions are in the dryer and cap tubes of outdoor unit.

Moisture in system.. same symptoms as restriction.. Warm up (above 32 degrees) then leaving the end off the capillary tube. If sub cooling retunrs to normal, moisture is present. Triple eveacuate system... weigh in correct charge.

This is out of the York book..... Fault Code 3 Compressor Dishcarge Gas Temperature.
    (normal range is 160 to 235 with correct air flow)

Hope this helps you..... not sure if same board or not

I am a York dealer, there a revision for The 410a Affinity Units. For whatever reason someone at the factory wired some unit's high and low pressure switches backwards. In cold weather when the unit goes to defrost the pressure drops quite low momenteraly. This causes a trip on the low pressure switch which is fine because the low does not lock out right away. But being that the low sensor is plugged on to the high inputs it locks out right away.

Gord
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Don't change the defrost setting, its programed into that board for that size unit, you only use the other settings when installing a replacement board.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

check your expansion valve in the condensor, i had one go bad after 2 weeks of run time. it also has a freeze protection code built into that new control board which almost drove me nuts

There is a customer of mine that has had this exact problem. Just out of curiosity what size is your electric back up heat?.

Gord
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

10 kw, york call for a 15kw,load calc call and tva called for a 10 kw.

But, what size is the heat pump.

So I know to check those sized heat pumps.
    Contractor locator map

3 ton, nice unit. we have instell app. 25 of them with no major problems except the expansion valve, approx 10 have fossil fuel back-up. nice control board, no need for a bonnet sensor. anti freeze fault code gave me a run for my money, finally added up to h.o.t-stat setting during day

They come with bonnet sensor terminals, why don't you need to use them?
    Contractor locator map

setting you pin to fossil fuel, then your balance point becomes your ltco. for instance bp set to 30 degrees becomes your ltco, not allowing your fossil fuel and heat pump run at the same time except while in defrost

Right, so why don't you need to keep from over heating the gas while in defrost?

When I was at the seminar, they also wanted the sensor installed, to prevent the compressor from being over heated in defrost, by the suction gas coming back too hot to cool the compressor.

Have they change their minds on that now?
    Contractor locator map

i"ve been to 2 seminrs, the way it was explain to us was it was a option. they was not too concern about the defrost mode, since it will not stay in the mode but a short lenth of time, that same question was brought up at our class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast