hot water boiler Sulfuric Acid Condensation Risk

curious to know if anyone has seen the impact to boiler from keeping a hot water boiler temperature below the sulfuric condensation temp (ie around 140).

facility uses a large hot water boiler and keeps the boiler at 130 degrees (return is 115) - and not water treatment. the boiler manufacturer recommends keeping return temps higher than 140.

my guess is there is beading/sweating in system that might be causing corrosion.

ashame because they have a mixing valve and therefore would not cost much to raise water temp of boiler

thanks for any feedback

If the boiler isn't operated to mfg. spec. - no warrantee = $$ for repair /replacement. As you said, easy to do, but maybe too late?

Damage will Result

If your temps are too low and condensation results, you will damage the boiler. The only question is how bad they have damaged the block of that boiler. Your best bet is to pull the burner and look, maybe you will get lucky and this one will live. Time for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    curious to know if anyone has seen the impact to boiler from keeping a hot water boiler temperature below the sulfuric condensation temp (ie around 140).

facility uses a large hot water boiler and keeps the boiler at 130 degrees (return is 115) - and not water treatment. the boiler manufacturer recommends keeping return temps higher than 140.

my guess is there is beading/sweating in system that might be causing corrosion.

ashame because they have a mixing valve and therefore would not cost much to raise water temp of boiler

thanks for any feedback

If the boiler has a three way mixing valve, the energy cost to run it hotter would be extremely minimal compared to the repair cost to the boiler running it all sweaty...

No brainer IMHO.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Depends on the type of boiler but I have seen just a couple thousand dollars damage to a ruined boiler in just three years.