Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

was a certified welder in piledrivers . have several machines now

i strongly recomend you hold out for a 220 volt mig with gas.

i love my mm 210 with spool gun thats about $1300 and then you need bottles on top of that!

go to weld talk and you will find the most friendly group of guys

you'll ever meet! we will answer any and all questions without an attitude. i'm senior member toolaholic there. all are welcome

and welcome to the world of welding!

you'll out grow a 120 machine in a heartbeat, and won't be able to onload it! 120v good for toasters and lights!

Talking Driftwood

You should stay here and enjoy the mental abuse!

Hey Driftwood, Back when I was 19 I was with a crew that had a piledriver that was powered by diesel I think. Some guy would pull a rope. I'm 50 now.

This is the one we're learning on. http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=18685
    The Lincoln 350. Any of you guys ever spray weld before? We did the other night and it was incredible. He cranked our unit's wire feed up to about 460 I think, and volts at about 28, and it was like pouring molten metal into the joints - so smooth.

He also had a little Hobart 110v unit we could try, and it was like using a toy. Very easy to use and master I think, and I ( a rookie) was able to lay some nice beads with it.

Weld Talk is where? I'd love to go pick some of your brains before I buy something

We have an older version of the Lincoln SP-135. I learned from my supervisor and from practicing. I've done a couple of hood jobs, but would like to take classes to learn the trade and art of it.
    Get back to work.

I have a Millermatic 130 and I love it. Flux core is real handy, easier to use and very flexible. Gas is better but not as easy and you have got to be clean. I find silica bronze, and stainless steel wires work very well in this unit. When using Aluminum I was never impressed but you can get buy.

This is not a machine you are going to fit pipe all day with; it will save your but in a pinch though. I have welded inch pipe with this unit. I just heated it cherry red with my torch, then pulled the trigger.

A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Originally posted by hvacmd2002
    Weld Talk is where? I'd love to go pick some of your brains before I buy something
    It's on Hobart's site. Nice place, good people.
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Any body in this busines that does not have a welder should take up cookie making.

Condensed Dave knows that super rod electrode. Just ask him.

Just make sure you dont ever pick up some 7018 by mistake and try to make it work .... you'll go from nice to nasty in about fifteen seconds!!!

GO TO YOUR LOCAL HD AND RENT A MACHINE FOR $20.00 A DAY BEFORE YOU BUY ONE TO SMALL.

the stick you may be referring to is probably 6011 or lincoln jet rod

7018 is one of the best all around low hyd rods out there. It starts easy runs in any position.

but when you try to use 7018 DC rod with an AC buzz box--you will think you had never struck an arc before. you have to use 7018 ac rod with anAC buzz box

7018 can be a difficult electrode to use, The key is keeping it dry. It's good for what it does.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

7018 is used every day for struct. steel, and It's my favorite!

I was puzzled by the negative coment. I think the ac answer is what happened. dc welding is so much smoother than ac

a good dc rod for sheet metal ic 7014 [low penatration]

also 7018 has to be kept dry [stored in rod oven after can opend

I'm mounting my Mig welder and argon gas cylinder on a two-wheeled hand cart.....do I need the argon cylinder to sit vertical when I use the welder or can it lay horizontal on the hand cart during use? I can't see why it would matter....it's only gas...anybody know for sure?

[Edited by westemp on 01-22-2005 at 01:22 PM]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast