Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm taking a MIG class at the local welding supply, and will probably buy a MIG machine when I'm done. I probably won't use it a whole lot, but when you need one, you need one. Anybody here own a small MIG? If so, which model?

I have a 120 volt Century flux core mig welder. I have used it on jobs many times for small repairs.
    I also have a Hobart TIG machine.

we use lincoln and miller 110v machines. i would much rather have the bottle than the flux core.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Here's my opinions. Stick with one of the top 2, Lincoln or Miller. There's a reason they are the best.

Also, get the biggest 110v one you can, you'll never regret the extra capacity and duty rating. Also, be sure to get some good clean power for this unit. We have both a miller and lincoln at work, and they both do a decent job if they have good power. But you put it off a temp power board on a job site, on an extension cord, and it'll make you look like you've never welded a day in your life.

Also, I'd suggest going with a solid wire and using an argon (75%) & CO2 (25%) mix. This will make a nice pretty weld with out much spatter. Plus using solid wire you won't have to chip the slag. If you're going to be welding inside the gas set up is the way to go. But if you'll be welding outside, in breezy conditions flux core is something to consider. Just remember, if it's set up for gas, it can also do flux core also with a few minor tweaks. If it's just set up for flux core, you're stuck with that unless you get the kit to give it gas.

I had a Hobart Handler 140 that I was very happy with. I got it for auto restoration work because it, and its Miller equivelent, handle welding sheet metal better than any other MIG welders. Its a 110v machine, but it will do anything from 28 gauge sheet metal to 3/16" steel in a single pass.

Someone stole it out of my garage though. I'm replacing it with a Hobart Handler 180, wich is the 220v version of the same welder.

Definatly use solid core wire with shielding gas. It makes MUCH cleaner welds with almost no spatter, and no smoke, so its easy to see what you are doing. Welding with flux core wire creates a lot of spatter and smoke, wich makes it hard to tell what you are doing if you are a beginner and/or occasional welder like me.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

hvacmd2002go to the Miller web site and check out the mig dvi or passport.

All of this was good advice.

Practice, practice, practice. Get scraps of crap metal and practice, practice, practice.

Someone here sugested using a small "buzz-box" with light welding rod. It works fine for quick repairs jobs. And the machine is more portable than any mig machine. Less costly too.
    Then bring out the mig unit for more serious repairs.

Myself, I wouldnt want to own a mig which wasnt a 230volt machine. 115volt units are too lightweight. They are not as nice for control as the heavier machines, in general.

So use a light weight buzz-box for simple repairs and the mig for more serious and your all set.
    Although you will need much more practice and expertice to master using small welding rod, (stick electrodes), than with any mig outfit.

Welding with mig is as simple as squirting out toothpaste or using a caulk gun on a seam.

While conventional electric welding using electrodes ... that requires discipline and mucho practice.
    Especially on the lighter gages of metal.

Condensed Dave knows that super rod electrode. Just ask him.

Just make sure you dont ever pick up some 7018 by mistake and try to make it work .... you'll go from nice to nasty in about fifteen seconds!!!

Been there/ done that!

Talking 7018?

Originally posted by R12rules
    All of this was good advice.

Practice, practice, practice. Get scraps of crap metal and practice, practice......

Just make sure you dont ever pick up some 7018 by mistake and try to make it work .... you'll go from nice to nasty in about fifteen seconds!!!

Been there/ done that!

Whoa dude! What are you doing, spot welding air ducts or fabricating truck frames?

LOL
    Fred

Frown

I had a Lincoln SA250 mounted on a trailer that was stolen Halloween night, locked up at the church. Lost bottles, guages, portaband and all tools. The best insurance would pay was 500 deductible and nothing on the trailer. Well I just bought a new Miller Bobcat, 22hp Onan engine. The really good part of the machine is the 10KW generator. Lots of power outages here in the country. Do you think your a bad person sometimes? Think about those that would steal from a church. I just found out that you can insure your trailer for $50 a year theft.

roy...who would steal from the church?.....maybe it was SATAN?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Angry Tinner

You know tinner, your right, satan was in the heart of those that was involved in the theft.

[Edited by oroy54 on 01-21-2005 at 10:26 AM]

Originally posted by tinner73
    roy...who would steal from the church?.....maybe it was SATAN?
    sorry roy..that was an attempt at humor. do you remember "The Church Lady" (Dana Carvey) from SNL?

that's too bad about your trailer. check e-bay for it.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Tinner

Never heard of "The Church Lady", but I will check it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast