Post Likes

Fireplace cycle on and off

Hi,
    I have a gas fireplace (Fmi) with a pilot. I have not used it for the last 2 months or so. Yesterday, I switched it on again and got this strange behavior.
    1 - the flame started for about 30 seconds
    2 - then it went away for 20 to 30 seconds
    3 - go to step 1

Any idea about what it could be? Could it be a thermostat component that went bad?

Many thanks
    Chris

Post Likes
    It needs to be inspected and serviced by a qualified professional familiar with gas fireplaces. This is not a DIY site so we're limited as to what we can provide in the way of troubleshooting. If you don't already have a copy of the manual, go online and try to locate one. See if you can access the vent termination to inspect it for visible damage or obstructions. Ensure the glass is properly secured and the embers set per mfr.--not too much. Make sure the gas cock is wide open (inline with the gas pipe). Since you said you used a t'stat to operate it, look to see if there is a small rocker switch mounted down by the gas control and if so, see if it works off that.
    HTH,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a gas fireplace (Fmi) with a pilot. I have not used it for the last 2 months or so. Yesterday, I switched it on again and got this strange behavior.
    1 - the flame started for about 30 seconds
    2 - then it went away for 20 to 30 seconds
    3 - go to step 1

Any idea about what it could be? Could it be a thermostat component that went bad?

Many thanks
    Chris
    Check your vent termination as Hearthman has suggested.

Post Likes
    Hi Hearthman & blk
    Thanks for your answer. I would never touch anything having to do with gas, but I still wanted to make sure it wasn’t something obvious before calling a technician.
    I looked at the exhaust vent on top of the fireplace and noticed that there was a limit switch and a micro switch that is closed when the damper is open. Both are in series with the wall switch. It turned out that the damper did not block completely in the open position and it might have moved lightly due to the heat. This then switched on and off the micro switch.
    I then blocked the damper in open position correctly and the fireplace is working fine now.
    Thanks, Chris