Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

Hi all,

I have a client who would like to move thier furnace from the fist floor (house is on a slab) into thier attic. The furnace is a Goodman GMP 100-3. It is currently vented out the top of the unit via b-vent. All of the duct work for the home is in the attic. I am wondering if this unit can be used somehow or changed to a horizontal or downflow and tied into the main trunk in the attic. Suggestions and ideas appreciated.

If you are in the business then you would know the answer to your own question, Sounds like a homeowner asking !!!!!

Yes you should be able to you will have to make some changes you need to call a hvac company or you can mess up there house.

Sorry Slice,

I should have specified, I am a residential Builder/Remodeler. My client is a family member of a friend and I am trying to determine if the furnace needs to be replaced. They are on a tight budget and probably will not be able to afford a new furnace. I plan on using a HVAC contractor to do the move, but don't want to waste anyones time if the current unit can't be used.

Thanks for the reply framehvac...

GMP is a multi-position furnace. how old is it? the ONLY place i'd move a GMP is to the dump.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

It was installed in 94'. Is it that bad of a unit tinner73 ? Any suggestions of what to use instead, it is a 1400 sqf ranch.

it's a turd. i know. i have a GMP 125 in my house. should have come with a parts bag. i like Rheem.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I would have a hvac technician pull the blower and check for popped crimp rings and check the heat exchanger closely..
    If the HE is ok then you can have a hvac contractor move the furnace to the attic allowing that the attic has ample space and decking for access and servicing..

However, I will tell you I hate attic installations and servicing an attic unit,, that should be a last resort place and if used needs proper prepration to make it servicable..Remember that the ductwork may need to be changed some as in a plenum box or additional rework to properly work in the attic..

Also with a 10yr old furnace that may in the near future need the HE replaced, this might be a good time to update the furnace and a/c to a new better unit..

If he doesn't have the money to replace the unit and do this job right then possibly it should be left where it is..

Good luck
    J

A/R...i wouldn't pay to move an 11 year old GMP. knowing what you know, would you? i'm surprised it lasted this long. leave it where it is or get a new one.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

There is not many 10to11yr old units that it would be cost effective to move or I would recommend to be moved...

That and as stated that particular yr/brand has had some problems with HE..

Do you really think this is a payment issue.. What do you think the next q will be..

J

If you let them get a rheem then you will be giving them a rheem job.If they don't have much money go with the new goodman.

frame, what do you think of the GMPs. what don't you like about RHEEM?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

GOODMAN

Do the right thing...hop on a Trane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast