+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intense Humming from Return air

Post Likes

Intense Humming from Return air

We have a vaulted living room with a Return Air in the sidewall about 15' off the ground. This goes into the furnace that is in the attic. For the first 6 months, I didn't have return air grilles or supply grilles. During this time, the system didn't make any noises. Now, whenever the system turns on, I hear this whine/hum come from the return air. It's really intense when the heat strips kick on (I suppose because of the higher fan speed). During this time, I can sometimes hear the return grille vibrate.

I've gone into the attic a few times and I didn't feel any vibrations, so I'm thinking there is too much air being pulled through my returns. Does that sound like a decent guess?

I don't have a contractor to fall back on, so I'm trying to do as much leg work as possible.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Return air velocity is probably too high.

Post Likes
    Not enough returns. Or returns are too small.

Post Likes
    some grills are a lot more restrictive than others might be worth investigating. also blower could be set to high

Post Likes
    Harmonic vibration noise from the RA grills. Whithout looking at it that is as far as I can go. The suggestion that there is not enough return air could be correct.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Post Likes
    Enlarging/adding R/A and using a better R/A grill will probably cure that. Or do like my competitor did and put a pleated filter in, (already had a 4" Media air cleaner), NOT.

Post Likes
    I've seen this happen because the grill was actually vibrating against the wall. Putting a strip of self-adhesive foam tape between the grill and the wall can cure it in those cases.

I agree with the others though that you might be short on return which is causing the velocity of the airflow to be too high.

Post Likes
    Def sounds like need more return, what size system is it, what size ductwork is pulling from it, what size is the grill, try a bar style you can see into it more but def is quieter. Hoe close is the air handler to that register if it is flex putting a loop or running the ductwork farther will also help.

Post Likes
    If you could record a few notes of the humming sound maybe we could guess the song.

Post Likes
    Take a pair of needle nose pliers and straighten out the 45 degree fins on you're return grill, problem solved

Post Likes
    3.5 ton N2H342 with variable speed blower

Here is a count of return air runs:

24x14 connected to 14" round flex - 21 foot to base can
    8x8 connected to 6" flex - 26 foot to base can
    12x12 connected to 10" flex - 26 foot to base can

Post Likes
    Filter clean? I agree with all that posted so far.

Post Likes
    How does the return air setup look based on my last post?

Filter is clean.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdenial View Post
    How does the return air setup look based on my last post?
    Not good.

Post Likes
    Can someone help me calculate how much I need to add to my return air setup? I'm guessing each return duct has a certain amount of CFM it's able to handle which I can them compare to the CFM rating for my blower.

Post Likes
    I've had some success with the needle-nose pliers. This is the most economical fix.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately it sounds like you may need to hire a contractor.

Post Likes
    each duct can deliver a certain (cfm's) amount of air. 90's and 45's restrict airflow, not to mention type of ducting. The amount of square inches of filter per ton of air conditioning is also important. This is why I recommend a professional.

Post Likes
    Your return grilles are all too small. To move the air your system needs, quietly. And your flex sizes are too small for quiet operation also.

24X14 grille should be 14X36(a 14X30 would flow air easier then the 24X14, and be less noise, how much, can't say)
    8X8 should be a 14X14 with a 9" flex
    12X12 should be a 14X20 with a 12" flex

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in