Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I knew the day would come.
    I am installing a combustion air fan for a boiler room.
    The boiler room is always negative.
    I am combing a mini drive and a pressure controller to keep the boiler room in a postive pressure.
    I've got the maual but what I don't have is a complete understanding of the terminolgy.
    I's there a place online which talks about drive's?
    Thanks
    Bernie
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

VFD?

First there are Diffrent type of VFD/VSD etc BRAND?

Two What Kinda Control are you going to use? DDC/ Or A DPT/local Or set at a Fixed speed?

Three Most Drive Manuf, Have a Qucik or Short List of points you HAVE to set (Motor type, RPM, ETC & type off Control Input/Safeties that will have to be Defined and or Made/*Jumped (*If not Used)...

Please More Info..Maybe can give More Advice.

http://www.yaskawa.com/site/DMDrive....plicationData/ AD4070/$File/AD4070HowdoesAcDrivesWork.pdf

phxurs is right, give us some more info and will be glad to help you out
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

What I need to do is as the room becomes negative the a/c drive will recieve a signal from the pressure controller.
    This is cut from the controllers website.
    "The PCM Series Pressure Controller is a low air pressure transducer combined with a microprocessor-based proportional or Proportional plus Integral (PI) controller. The compact size and ease of installation and setup makes this unit ideal for standard HVAC applications. Ranges are available from 0-2, 3, or 5 "W.C. The set point adjustment knob is clearly marked with the appropriate scale for ease of use. All setup and tuning is easily accomplished by DIP switches and bottle plug jumpers. Mounting is a snap with the convenient mounting tabs or with the DIN rail mounting option. Remote set point is also possible with voltage or milliamp signals. The PCM Series can be configured for direct or reverse acting control.
    The a/c drive I'm using is made by G.E.
    "The AF-300 Mini Drive is a compact, but powerful and easy to use AC variable frequency drive. The drive is available in its standard configuration that includes built-in dynamic braking control, single turn potentiometer for speed reference and LED display.

Features and Benefits

Simplified dynamic torque vector control
    Provides step response and low speed control
    High starting torque
    Capable of carrying heavy loads like conveyers and mixers
    Compact design
    Fit easily into a limited space
    Available with built-in EMC Filter
    Provides CE Compliance in compact design
    Automatic energy-saving function
    Reduces motor loss and electric costs

Predictive maintenance features
    Drive cooling fan run time and alarm at recommended replacement and Internal Capacitor predictive alarm calculates expected life and can alarm for recommended replacement
    PID control function
    Decreases difference between measured value and target value during instrumentation control of fans and pumps
    Soft-switching IGBTs
    Allows use with standard general purpose motors
    Optional Modbus RTU RS485
    Allows low cost system integration using the RTU protocol with the addition of the RS 485 Option Card
    Inrush current control circuit
    Allows use of smaller upstream peripheral equipment such as fuses, circuit breakers, and contactors
    Compliance with major international standards
    Assurance of smooth integration with global equipment requiring CE, TUV, UL, CUL."
    The fan is a 48 " prop, 230v 3 phase.
    Specifically The control should be set up for reverse acting? When pressure falls to setpoint the signal to vfd will increase, thus causing the motor speed to increase.
    This is baout all the info I can provide.
    Thanks
    Bernie

Hmm,
    I just found training offed for this drive by G.E.
    Cost, 2,000 bucks for four days! Yikes.
    I guess a crash course will be had in the boiler room on friday!!
    Bernie

Hey Top try the Square D Altivar series, great support, great product, had one of the drives you using go on the blink took tech support a week to call me back, in the meantime I installed a Square D

it sounds to me like you have a control that is configurable. you probably need to give it 24 vac then set the jumpers to an output to match the drive. most drives these days can take it either way as well. so, if you set it up as current, it will most likely be 4 to 20 milliamp. find the spot on the drive to tie into those terminals. set your control to reverse acting. so as the pressure drops the control signal goes up. so at 4ma you are at the low speed, and at 20ma you are at the high the lower the pressure drops the faster your fan will spin. there are other important things to note such as keeping the leads from the drive to the fan motor as short as reasonably possible, only ground one end of the control wiring etc.

What HP is the motor? Don't set your Decell time to fast, could cause it to trip on Overvoltage. Usually the higher HP and/or heavier the fan the slower your decell time needs to be.

Not trying to stir the pot, but why are you installing a fan/vfd? The free air ductwork/grill size should be large enuff to keep the room at 0" when boiler fires up. If you have a problem with venting combustion gas, and then you install this fan setup, what happens if fan or vfd fails and room goes negative? Could lives or property be at risk? Then whose Ass is on the line? Just a thought.

Hey thanks for the replys.
    Yes, I am installing a new roof mounted prop fan(grainger). Nice new curb etc. Motor H.P. is 2.
    Also the pressure contoller is new as is the V.F.D. POwer wiring will be about 50', this manual I got says I'm good up to 150.
    This boiler room has been negative for years.
    We had our engineer figure the air requirements with 10% saftey factor.

Now the next crisis is the controller(pressure) requires a 24VDC power supply.
    My guy says "go get a rectifier a radio shack", I told him I wasn't into non hetro-sexual stuff.

I know in theory what it does(rectifier)where do I get one and is it a big deal to wire up?

Thanks again
    Bernie

Bernie,

Hey dude it was great to hear from you my man. We definately need to get toghether one of these days. Did you have any luck getting a hold of the "cheesehead".

BTW. I left a message for you. I will try to give you a shout in the AM.

And just so the other cheesehead is aware. I have a right by birth to call another cheesehead a cheesehead.

And also to that esteemed guru of control cheesehead. I formally apologize for "analness"

Based on the info in your post the pressure controller you have is made by Kele. Call their tech support people. They will help you select the correct DC power supply you need to power up the controller. The PCM only works on 24 vdc.
    Don't get too wrapped up about the drive. Just follow your way thru the booklet that came with it. Yes, it seems like there are a thousand parameters that need to be set, but in reality most of them can be left at their default values. Just be thankful you're working with a low HP motor this time around instead of a 50 HP motor. The Kele tech support people can probably help you with your overall application as well. Just ask them. Like the old addage: "if you don't ask - you don't get".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast