Trane RTU Tripping Transformer CB

Have an issue w/ a 7.5 Trane RTU that smoked it's 24 volt transformer. Replaced transformer w/ one that has a circuit breaker. Tripped out as soon as power is applied. Traced back to wire # 172A connected to the Reliatel board, disconnected that wire, and the transformer does not trip. At least I have some air movement now and perhaps some electric heat. This wire 172A goes thru pressure switches before it gets to the board, but they seem to be OK. Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.

Moved thread over to the commercial section of site for a better response

reviews the core of the contactor / or compressors, if not bond well or vibrate increases current consumption and protects the transformer

bust out the ohmmeter

Lock one lead under the ground clamp and start tracing back through from the transformer until you no longer get a reading to ground. At that point you have located your issue and can fix it. My guess is a wire has chaffed trough and is contacting the chassis of the unit.

Can you post the model/serial no's. Sounds like your on the right track. The high pressure switch circuit ends at the compressor contactor coil. Try removing the coil wire and see what happens.

Thanks Everyone, Trane mod# WSC072A3RKAOWH ser# 308101165L
    Will not get back there til next week for further analyses, but I will try everything ya'll have recommended. Gosh, I didn't even think the compressor itself could have an issue; should have checked that before I left as well.
    Thanks again everyone and Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving !!

Thank you !!

dean59

try this,disconnect the 24v at the econimizer board or disconnect it completly,i have found shorted board a few times,also check the stat wiring
    at the control panel door,i have found a couple of shorted wires here.were the vibration from the unit rubbed through the stat wire insulation and was
    triping the 24v transformer reset button.
    hope this helps

Thanks Dean,

Will try when I get back there on the 15'th. With the 172A wire (coming from HPS & LPS) disconnected from the Reliatel board, they have auxillary heat for now and are perfectly content til my next monthly visit.
    Will try what you recommend, and fill everyone in by the 17'th on my findings.

Thanks Again to All and Happy Holidays !!!