+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a fireplace supposed to shut down on its own?

Post Likes

Is a fireplace supposed to shut down on its own?

Hi,

We just moved to a place that has a heat n'glo vented fireplace. Its around 18 years old.

Under the fireplace, there is a mains gas valve, a pilot and an on/off button. There is an electrical switch on the wall.

I found a faded set of instructions, and was able to light the fireplace. It stayed up for 30 minutes and then died on its own. Wasn't sure what to make of it, so I shut it off.

Just needed help in figuring out a few things.

1) Are the fireplaces supposed to shut off after 30 minutes?

2) What is the switch on the wall supposed to be for? I turned it a few times while the fire was ablaze, and did not see it do anything.

3) There was some sort of wooly stuff with the logs. What is that meant for?

4) Is one supposed to replace the wooly stuff and logs periodically?

5) Are there any good CO detectors/monitors out there for homes?

6) What sort of professionals would service such a fireplace?

7) Are these fireplaces supposed to heat, or are they only cosmetic?

Thank you.

Edit: It says "SL-36" on a plate, think that is the model number.

Post Likes
    1-no
    2-in lieu of switch underneath. Use one or the other but not both
    3-rock wool insulation. Used to create a glowing ember effect. See the manual
    4-ember material annually or as needed. Logs never, unless someone damages them
    5-unlisted CO monitors. Off the shelf CO alarms listed to UL 2034 are death alarms that do nothing to protect you from chronic lower levels of CO
    6-hearth professional. Check your local stove shops and chimney sweeps. Then check with the mfr. for nearest dealer.
    7-Early SL-36's were just decorative. Later models were tested and listed as heater rated.

You need to read the instruction manual first. Then contact a hearth pro to inspect, clean, and test the unit. There are a number of things that could be causing it to shut off and this is not a DIY site so we can't really get into that. Most repair items on these fireplaces are relatively inexpensive. If the glass has a red silicone rubber gasket, get a new replacement glass from your dealer.

Post Likes
    Unless it is wired to a thermostat, the fireplace should run continuously with no interruptions. I would call a professional to give it a good inspection.

Post Likes
    I heard that it would be the thermocouple is bad, or going bad because a fireplace should not shut down on its own.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lilacknowing View Post
    I heard that it would be the thermocouple is bad, or going bad because a fireplace should not shut down on its own.
    You heard wrong!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in