Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quadrafire insert also goes crazy!

Second yr with insert, flames started going crazy. Installed new control board, new auger. Was told it could be length of pellets jamming then dropping all at once. I only run it when Im home. Afraid of my house burning down.

New info concerning the problem-- Went to bed one night and in the middle of the night I heard a HUGE BANG--thought someone was breaking into my house.Ran downstairs and checked around house for broken glass, doors etc and saw that in front of my pellet stove there was a LOT of black sooty ash.I don't know what happened but that must have been clogging the stove because since then the stove has been running normal, no smoke in house and flame does start off kind of large but dies down when fan kicks in.I know that that's not a fix but that's what happened to my stove recently--week of Christmas. They must be getting clogged somewhere--does anyone know where that black soot comes from and then blows out the front of the stove.I don't think the bellows and exhaust is the cause?

Thumbs up

JUst to provide some input. i have the castille and get high flames on high setting. feed plate is set to lowest position. I can run for about 5 hours on high before the pot is full and starts making a "buzzing" sound. I recently drilled out more material in lever so i can lower the plate. this seems to have corrected the problem. took out about 1/8 inch but that little bit makes a big difference in the feed rate. i burn pellets, corn, and mixture of both, depending on the cost.
    My unit will not ignite a corn to pellet mixture of even probably 30% well. Essentially has to be mostly pellets. The more corn, the longer it takes to get the fire rolling, and the motor overfeeds. Also the unit needs to cool sufficiently before restarting (if cleaning the pot). Otherwise if the green light is on, I think that means the appliance reached operating temp, and will begin to feed pellets. This can cause overfeed condition. Same thing if the "other red light" is on. That means the stove is hot. I'm not exactly sure if green light starts feed motor and red light kinda starts room blower. Bottom line if you leave some coals in there and kick thermostat back on the unit will feed and probably overfeed. Not a techinician but learned this by using. Hope it helps.
    I really think the adjustment feed plate from factory is not set or positioned correctly for at least my unit. i can open it alot but at lowest setting seems to overfeed on high. The thumbscrew should be lower to auger or longer hole in plate to set lower. It looks, though, if it is set too low then the plate may actually hit the auger which could be bad news.

Smile shawnjhawn

I AGREE WITH YOU THAT THE "FACTORY SETTING" FOR THE PELLETS TO DROP IS INCORRECT.THANKS FOR THE "FIX"!! HOPEFULLY IT DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY FROM FACTORY.EVER SINCE THAT NIGHT MY STOVE BLEW OUT A BUNCH OF BLACK SOOT AND MADE A HUGE BANG NOISE IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING GOOD. IT STILL NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED TO DROP "LESS" PELLETS WHEN STARTING BECAUSE I FIND I AM USING A LOT MORE THAN LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME.

it probably could void warranty covering that part. I look at it like this, you gotta do what needs done. Surpisingly, that minute adjustment makes a big difference. I still have a little "loop" of metal remaining on the feed bar. I was leery to remove all of it, but i think if that thumbscrew is torqued down w the washer there wouldn't be a problem with the adjuster moving out of position. However, i took out just what was necessary.
    if ur getting a problem w sooting etc from a cold start, then there could be other issues i.e control board or something.

The unit is operating better w the alteration. I was having trouble on high setting. Med or low seemed ok. But am pleased w result. Not sure if this will help your situation. If i need more feed on med, i can still open adjuster more. With regards to your loud bang and sooting, it sounds like the pot was overfilled at startup and smoke and pressure builds until it starts. I have seen that w mine on a smaller scale. It just made a kinda loud noise but nothing kicked outside the unit. I was there when it happened.
    I keep my thermostat turned up the whole way all the time, so mine never restarts when i'm not there. But i do leave it run while away, usually on med. Blowing soot out the unit is alarming and actually dangerous and i would certainly call dealer

Hi:
    Just wondering how you are doing with the problems you were having with your stove?
    Hopefully things are now working correctly!!

Quote Originally Posted by chimney doc View Post
    That's why I said ask about the board in my post on the 27th!!!
    Glad to see they got it corrected for you. From what we're hearing, these new boards have the problem fixed.

I have the new box in my Santa Fe Pellet Stove and was still having problems with intermittent operation. Some of it I've traced to a problem with the thermostat. I must admit it has less than desirable performance with that cheap thermostat that comes with it.

But I have had a different problem, that I don't think is in the control box. It sometimes would fill the pot with pellets but not ignite them. I thought it was a bad igniter at first and replaced it. It worked, but not for long. So the intermittent problem continued and I've had the huge flame thing too. So one time I touched the control box and the relay clicked on while I held it. Then the igniter started while I held it in the socket. Let go it shut off the relay.

So I pulled the control box out. Obviously the problem I was having wasn't related to a bad control box, but most likely the socket that it plugged into. I would wiggle it and the relay would click. What I then did was found the best spot where it would keep contact. Then wedged and taped the box in. Although it now works, occasionally about every 3 or four days it loosens up and fails to start again. The stove although 3 yrs old is basically new, because when the problem first started, it was at the end of the first season of use. Now I just pulled it back out of storage and must keep a watchful eye on it. I feel like, if I leave for any long period of time, will I end up coming home to cold house? A real pain!

I haven't even bothered contacting the dealer here, cuz he wouldn't help the first time in the first season. So is there a way to buy that part, that the control box connection fits into direct from the company?

Thanks! (a frustrated Quadrafire user)

Kroneage

I live out in the boonies where calling a for repair is not cheap. Especially

You can try info@woodheatstoves.com and maybe they can get you a part assuming that you know the part name.They deal with QuadraFire stoves and parts.I never ordered from them personally so I am not recommending them I just heard of them thru word of mouth.
    Hope that helps you somewhat. You probably already looked at your pellet size--are they too large? Everyone I talk to asks me that question also.

Quote Originally Posted by KEITHL View Post
    You can try info@woodheatstoves.com and maybe they can get you a part assuming that you know the part name.They deal with QuadraFire stoves and parts.I never ordered from them personally so I am not recommending them I just heard of them thru word of mouth.
    Hope that helps you somewhat. You probably already looked at your pellet size--are they too large? Everyone I talk to asks me that question also.
    I'll check it out. But I don't think pellet size has anything to do with it. Although, yeah... that seems to be a standard question. But from what I understand this is basically a Multi-fuel stove that can even burn corn and various grains. So it has that adjustment plate in the fuel feeder compartment.

BTW.... I just finished pulling the control box and using alcohol and Q-tips, to clean all the contacts on it and in the socket. It's running fine. But we'll see if that took care of the connection problems! Thanks!!!

Edit: Cleaning contacts did not solve the problem. However I went ahead and pulled the Control Box, removed the Socket from it's housing and by inserting a very fine screwdriver in where the wires push into the socket, spread the prongs in toward the center and aligned them. Apparently some socket prongs were installed properly in manufacture and some weren't. The ones showing wear, were. The others were shiny and almost new looking. Not sprung out at all. So this factory defect, was responsible for my intermittent connections. That were plaguing me since I've had this stove. The ones the dealer couldn't even figure out!

So design wise, they should change this control box socket setup to be a lot more solid. Like in the automotive industry. Second thing is make sure before a stove goes out of the factory that this socket is installed properly. This would solve many problems blamed on faulty control boxes, thermostats, pellet size and things that aren't problems at all!
    Last edited by kroneage; 01-12-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Problem Solved!

RE QuadraFire Stove

Good to hear from others who are having problems.
    I live about 20 minutes outside of Buffalo, NY I have a Quadrafire Sante Fe pellet insert 2yrs old. I had no problems the first yr ran great saved about $1500 last yr (I heat with propane). Actually I take that back the thermostat which is the remote control never worked correctly. It would have problems re-starting once it shut down. I just run it on high most of the time so it wasnt a big deal to me. last yr I used Allegany and Instaheat pellets, both had considerable ash but other than that no problems. Went in with 3 others this yr on a semi truck of pellets (PA pellets) paid about $190 a ton. They burn great, low ash, but some are very long. Started having problems with very high flames. When this happens the whole firebox is filled with crazy out of control flames and if that isn't enough the stove sounds like a freight train is running through my living room. It still drops pellets as this is happening which leads me to believe it isnt sensing the heat correctly. I replaced the control board and auger. still get high flames but I just watch it until it settles down. I did have to lower the feed rate almost to nothing with these pellets, like reported before me a "little" tweak makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kroneage View Post

Edit: Cleaning contacts did not solve the problem. However I went ahead and pulled the Control Box, removed the Socket from it's housing and by inserting a very fine screwdriver in where the wires push into the socket, spread the prongs in toward the center and aligned them. Apparently some socket prongs were installed properly in manufacture and some weren't. The ones showing wear, were. The others were shiny and almost new looking. Not sprung out at all. So this factory defect, was responsible for my intermittent connections. That were plaguing me since I've had this stove. The ones the dealer couldn't even figure out!

So design wise, they should change this control box socket setup to be a lot more solid. Like in the automotive industry. Second thing is make sure before a stove goes out of the factory that this socket is installed properly. This would solve many problems blamed on faulty control boxes, thermostats, pellet size and things that aren't problems at all!
    OK.... I'm at wits end!

It's not the control box socket or is it? This barely used Santa Fe Quadrafire Stove has me baffled. Loosing patience and to think that I bought P.O.S., thinking it was going to be worth it as a reliable source of heat. It's not and I'm back using my 20yr old Traeger that looks crap, but at least it works consistantly and reliably better than this near new Quadrafire (new in use but 3yrs old). It's worthless!

Somehow it works and starts up fine if I touch the control just right or tape and wedge in. Then after it gets jars and the tape stretches it quits igniting the pellets and the pot just fills up. So in the morning I'm faced with the same ordeal again and again!

At this point I think Quadrafire should stick to Wood Stoves, where nothing can go wrong electronically!

I HAVE BEEN USING THE SAME PELLETS SINCE I BOUGHT THE STOVE FOR ABOUT 3 YRS NOW AND THIS YEAR IS WHEN THE "HUGE FLAME AND SMOKE COMING IN THE HOUSE UPON STARTUP" HAPPENED.THAT ONLY LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT THE PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PELLETS.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast