Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hmm blue plug???

[QUOTE=bcb1;676031]I appreciate your advice. The first time I called (2 days ago) I got stuck with a low-level person that basically told me to check the resistor on the side of the control box and said "gee, we might have to get one of the tech support guys involved". Not real helpful.

I have a new santa Fe and am having the same problem with over feeding...

I have moved the feed plate as low as it will go by modifying it and still get an over feed condition on startup and on run setting.

I have a bleu plastic plug on the side of my control box and it has a copper jumper on top of that with some wax like glue???

The manual says nothing about the plug other than it might be a accessory jumper???

If I unplug it it really overfeeds and sounds like a rocket and fills the box with flames.

the copper bar jumper thingie just sits on top of the pins and is loose and not "pluged in" so if I stand there and hold it down it seems to feed ok...

Anyone know what this plug is and what it does???

Seems to me if it is a feed jumper they are taking a big risk by leaving a meltdown to such a poor conection.

Quadra-Fire pellet stove

I have aQuadra- Fire pellet stove, i replaced the old ceramic pot with areplacement steel pot kit, at start up i get sparks and some flame then it goes out, i pst the reset button it lights runs fine until it trys to start again CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME?

do you get both temp lights on the controll box? if not it is the thermocouple. it is located on the edge of the pot. looks like a ceramic cap with two soldered wires inside.

do you get both temp lights on the controll box? if not it is the thermocouple. it is located on the edge of the pot. looks like a ceramic cap with two soldered wires inside.

Qudra fire Santa fe pellet stove problems

I have had many problems with my stove from day one. And dealer will not help and factory passes the buck to them. First of all the stove was manufactured 4 years from when I bought it almost 2 years ago. That should have told me to not even hook it up/
    Flame is high than low, and dealer told me this is normal and have to live with it/
    But I read there are new control boxes to install but know my dealer will not install/
    The flame varies depending on the pellets I burn. Feed door is closed all the way and come time flames hit the top of the stove/
    Plus depending on the size of the pellets it jams up and i have to put a clothes hanger up the chute to unjam them/
    I know this stove should have a faster fan in it also , because it gets so hot from high flames.

The high/low flames is somewhat normal, this is cause by variances in the amount of pellets in the particular section of auger that is at the top of the chute.

The stove does have over temp snap disks that will trip in the event that the stove "runs away" gets too hot.

high flames can be a sign that your stove is dirty, I'm not saying yours is just putting that out there, if you have any questions on cleaning this stove just ask.

if the pellets are consistently longer that 1.25-1.5 inches this can and will cause constant auger jams, try switching to a different brand of pellets if this is the case

SantaFe High Flames and Jamming

I do notice less jamming with shorter softer pellets
    But these flames often hit the top of the stainless plate , which I do not like and this is also more when I use certain pellets. I think I may grind the chute adjustment like one person did to keep it from hitting the top.
    My son has the larger Quadrafire and never a problem.
    Sorry I did not buy that one

I have mostly solved my HIGH fire and lazy flame issues!!!

First i put in a replacment "round" fan that has more torque. $25 on ebay! I just got a fan with same specs. the problem was they all have a ccw rotation so i reversed the coil to clockwise rotation.

Second I had to beat the floor of the stove to make the pot fit flush since everyone pulls the lever so hard that it bends the mounting and causes an air leak.

still too much flame so i removed the pot and drilled out the holes the next size over and that cleaned the burnt on rust and hard crud. I also added 6 small holes in the floor of the pot like the castiles stoves have and that has fixed the lazy flame issues 100%!!! it also helped with the build up of klinker in the pot so I dont have to clean it 2 times a day.

I think I could add a few more holes and that would help burn up the ash in the bottom better and it also reduced the whistling noise the stove makes by 2/3rds.

it still makes the vibrating buzzing noise when starting up I will make some changes when I do the fan pull again after the season is over.

One more issue with these stoves is that the heat exchanger rod scrapper thingie does not exstend all the way to the outer edges of the tubes SO... the thing will clog up on the sides and will restrict air flow causing black lazy flames amd the roaring jet engine like sound.
    You will need a putty knife and every day when i clean stove I stick the puddy knife up on the left side of the heat exchanger between the tube and side wall and make sure that it is clean and not blocked. You cannot clean the right side untill you remove the stainless top plate. this side dosent restrict flow so it isnt as important.
    most people have no clue and have never cleaned this area. since quadrafire gives little or none cleaning instructions in the manual.

Confused Sante Fe High Flames + Improved efficiency

Thanks for the tips about the drilling , did You drill the floor of the pot , the part that goes back and forth with the clean rod and what size drill bit.
    I do take the top off and clean once a week.
    But because it burns so high , I now just started putting a fan in front of the heat exchange tubes and now gives out much more heat
    But I burned one small cheap fan out , need to keep it a foot away from stove;
    The motor you bought is it the feeder motor or the blower motor???

exhaust blower motor I got was a u21b, 1 amp, 120volt, 300 rpm, ball bearing motor.
    the drill bit size i used was the same as the smaller holes that are drilled all around at the base of the floor clean out plate and I just put them in the center of the plate that goes back and forth. it was close to a 1/4" bit if I recall.
    Another mod I made was to supply 120 volts to the exchanger blower fan at all times to help push the air out the heat exchanger better since the control box has a 3 speed setting and on low it gets like 80 volts to slow down the air flow but with the high feed rate of the gray control box limiting the air flow the stove gets overly hot, burns rich, and ends up blowing too much heat out the exhaust pipe.
    running the fan on high seemed like the best solution since limiting the feed slot only plugs the hopper up so if it must move the pellets to prevent plugs then we should get the most heat out of stove as possable. it uses 2-1/2 bags in 24 hours on low but now puts out more heat. it is heating my 5000sf house to 74 running non stop when it is below 32 outside.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtback View Post
    I have mostly solved my HIGH fire and lazy flame issues!!!

First i put in a replacment "round" fan that has more torque. $25 on ebay! I just got a fan with same specs. the problem was they all have a ccw rotation so i reversed the coil to clockwise rotation.

Second I had to beat the floor of the stove to make the pot fit flush since everyone pulls the lever so hard that it bends the mounting and causes an air leak.

still too much flame so i removed the pot and drilled out the holes the next size over and that cleaned the burnt on rust and hard crud. I also added 6 small holes in the floor of the pot like the castiles stoves have and that has fixed the lazy flame issues 100%!!! it also helped with the build up of klinker in the pot so I dont have to clean it 2 times a day.

I think I could add a few more holes and that would help burn up the ash in the bottom better and it also reduced the whistling noise the stove makes by 2/3rds.

it still makes the vibrating buzzing noise when starting up I will make some changes when I do the fan pull again after the season is over.
    Please do NOT do this, this will void and warranty and should you ever have a fire your insurance company could find your burnpot and give you a nice sol sign.

I am a certified quad tech, and if the stove is not running right there is something wrong that needs to be fixed, that doesn't involve altering the stove. i would say roughly i can fix 60% of customers problems by cleaning the stove thoroughly. on castiles you have to remove the combustion fan to do the yearly maintenance properly. trace exactly where the exhaust goes and thoroughly clean it.

Actually the holes in the floor are an upgrade that quadra fire does on newer pots. it seems to keep the burn pot cleaner at the bottom and really does little for the lazy flame problems these stoves are plagued with.
    Yes, i cleaned my stove and therally clean my stove every day and even do a rattail brush clean once a week on the exhaust chamber. seems to help the jet engine noise but just a little... Unfortunately with the gray box feed rates, I am stuck with what I got, until if ever, I upgrade to the new box or get fed up and send them to the scrap pile. Dont get me wrong i dont hate quadra stoves and i dont have a bad taste in my mouth considering I paid next to nothing and i thought I would sell them. but the word is getting out and you cant sell these older stoves for any decent money around here anyway so I am stuck with them and might as well make them work the best that i can.
    These issues should have been a warranty recall from day one, but the guy i got the stoves from, got tired of all the BS and spending money, after he didn't get any warranty from quadra fire and finally gave up and sold me his two stoves for $$$$ loss... he got a different stove and says he loves it, I think he got a whitfield? dont ask what he thinks of quadrafire, it was the only time i ever heard him cus...
    I think the early stoves where clearly not ready and little or no r&d was done leaving the owner stuck with a stove with constant problems and issues. after going thru the issues these stoves have, I can understand why quadra fire removed their phone number from the web and owner manuals and refuse to be a honest helpful company... I dont have to tell you, you go thru this every day and probably make a good living being a tech and all. lots of job security in quadrafire stoves unlike the maytag man. perhaps you could share the jumper pinout mystery with us? I am talking about the 5 pin plug on the side of the grey control box. What pins when jumped do what and for what stove and so on?
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 02-24-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Pricing Removed

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast