Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Quadra-fire castille help!

I have a quadra-fire castille insert B manufactured in February 2011. Stove was running this AM before I went to work. Wife called on way saying it died. She says it smelled like burning plastice before it went.

Now we have no power coming on at all. Have jumped the thermostat wires, jumped snap disc #3 with no luck. No lights at all when it is plugged in. I did check power from outlet as well.

Before I order a new control box any suggestions? It is currentliy 40+degrees in upstate NY but is going down drastically. Any help is appreciated.

Post Likes
    also checked fuse--not tripped

Post Likes
    When you say you "jumped snap disc #3" are you talking about the snap disc on the back of the auger chute? if that snap disc is tripped it means pellets started to burn in the auger, which can lead to a hopper fire(bad) so it shuts all power so that the fire gets no air and will die out(in theory). when you say "no power" are you saying no motors, but your red(call) light and control board lights up? or no life at all? If no power and the snap disc on the back of the auger is not tripped then you need a new control board.

Post Likes
    No life at all--no lights, not even red light on the box. And yes I jumped the snap disc #3 on the back of the auger tube. Still nothing. I put a call into a service professional who is supposed to come today. My wife also mentioned that she could smell plastic burning and said the control box felt hot when she took the side panels off to check the power cord, etc.

Post Likes
    and i pushed on the snap disc#3 and didn't feel that it tripped. How can you tell--is it obvious?

Post Likes
    Yeah if it tripped you will feel and hear it snap back when you push the reset, if the reset button feels loose and doesn't snap when you pushed on it, it wasn't tripped.

Post Likes
    try the hearth.com forums. they have experts that specialize in pellet units there.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears.

Post Likes
    didn't they have a power cord recall?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    gas valve? I thought this was a pellet stove.

Post Likes
    it is a pellet stove. that's the only recall i could find. there have been many revisions to the stove though, TSB's not recalls, electronics, gaskets, etc. i think the first tsb was for the electronics.

Post Likes
    maybe it was just a tsb then or even a rumor? I had a similar issue with my classic bay and my dealer gave me a new cord.

Post Likes
    probably a tsb. that's why i suggested the guys over at hearth.com. they know a heck of a lot more about these than we generally do. they helped me a LOT when the engineers for my stove wouldnt help. ( i have a programming problem in mine and tracked it down myself. eventually, after 5 calls to the company in canada, they finally admitted my data was good and valid. but they have no 'need' to change the programming to resolve the problem.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast