Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feds want to regulate GARDENING?

I saw this article and all I could think about was the book 1984.
    Big brother (Government) telling us how to live.

http://visiontoamerica.org/story/sen...ing-seeds.html
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Although the bill ostensibly has wide bipartisan support in the Senate and the House, big agricultural groups are unhappy about the recent Tester amendment mandating exemptions for small farms. Twenty produce groups signed a letter (PDF) to Senate leadership arguing against the exemptions.

The House passed its version of the bill in July 2009. The increasingly dysfunctional Senate has been sitting on it ever since.

Why? The reason seems ludicrous but it's what everyone is telling me: The Republicans do not want the Democratic administration to get credit for passing the food safety bill.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/food/arch...-senate/66838/

The following summary was written by the Congressional Research Service, a well-respected nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress. GovTrack did not write and has no control over these summaries.

12/18/2009--Reported to Senate amended. FDA Food Safety Modernization Act -
    Title I - Improving Capacity to Prevent Food Safety Problems

Section 101 -
    Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to expand the authority of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to inspect records related to food, including to: (1) allow the inspection of records of food that the Secretary reasonably believes is likely to be affected in a similar manner as an adulterated food; and (2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Section 102 -
    Authorizes the Secretary to suspend....
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...10&tab=summary

When you read an article that seems beyond belief it might be a good thing to determine if they are full of bs before you believe it.

The feds want to control all aspects of our lives and threaten us with arrest or fines if we don't submit. The book 1984 is here.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

More like they do not want more people dying from eating raw spinach.

I havent found the article about a farmer that was arrested or threatened by monsanto for raising contaminated (corn or soybeans) near other farms that raised ROUNDUP ready crops that had POLINATED his crops. So monsanto maintained that he had STOLEN the genetic trait that monsanto had developed.
    The government and the courts support the restrictions and this PROPOSED bill just adds fuel to the fire.
    I wasn't sure the story was true, I just wondered what others thought.

The government seems to want to CONTROL fire arms, health care, spanking of children, prayer in public places, and other issues also.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    I havent found the article about a farmer that was arrested or threatened by monsanto for raising contaminated (corn or soybeans) near other farms that raised ROUNDUP ready crops that had POLINATED his crops. So monsanto maintained that he had STOLEN the genetic trait that monsanto had developed.
    The government and the courts support the restrictions and this PROPOSED bill just adds fuel to the fire.

The government seems to want to CONTROL fire arms, health care, spanking of children, prayer in public places, and other issues also.
    I'd be more concerned about people trying to CONTROL my emotions and thoughts by fake articles and emails.

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post

Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Ca

Canadian farmer trying to use canola seed that he saved and replanted in violation of the contract he had with Monsanto.

I won't argue the government wants to control things. I just have an issue with people that believe stuff others put on the internet without checking if it is true (Usually they include a grain of truth and then exaggerate the rest.), too much bs out there. The bill has nothing to do with the Monsanto issue. It is about food safety as in the second link I quoted above.

I'm all for food safety, but it sounds more like somebody in the the government discovered an area that isn't being taxed enough for their satisfaction (as if there is such a thing as enough taxes for some politicians)
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    More like they do not want more people dying from eating raw spinach.
    This reminds me, somewhat, of the 'raw-milk' debate.

In many places, the sale of raw milk is illegal due to bacteria that may be present. In many places, there is also an underground market for the sale of raw milk.

My opinion: If a person knowingly chooses to engage in potentially dangerous behavior, that is their choice. SO WHAT?

Let them drink bacteria laden milk and eat 'organic' produce grown in E. Coli infected waste and die.

Less people on government health-care.

The raw milk thing..... I remember...I think it was back in the 80s or so..maybe the 90s when there was some talk on this..... anyhow...the thing about unpastuerized milk is that some of these natural milk freaks make their kids drink it too....

Sometimes the government has to step in to protect those who cannot protect themselves.....

Its like welfare and food stamps....healthcare.....

I dont think many folks....would mind having their tax dollars go to making sure kids are safe.....but the bad thing is that for every kid out there that we are trying to help and protect......there are a couple of sorry assed deadbeat adults that we have to take care of too.

Anywho......thats the reason for a lot of these laws...it isnt to protect some dumbass from killing him or herself.....its to keep them from letting it happen to others who have no choice in the matter.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    The raw milk thing..... I remember...I think it was back in the 80s or so..maybe the 90s when there was some talk on this..... anyhow...the thing about unpastuerized milk is that some of these natural milk freaks make their kids drink it too....

Sometimes the government has to step in to protect those who cannot protect themselves.....

I dont think many folks....would mind having their tax dollars go to making sure kids are safe.....but the bad thing is that for every kid out there that we are trying to help and protect......there are a couple of sorry assed deadbeat adults that we have to take care of too.

Anywho......thats the reason for a lot of these laws...it isnt to protect some dumbass from killing him or herself.....its to keep them from letting it happen to others who have no choice in the matter.
    ...and the law of unintended consequences dictates that these same laws that we pass for the children help to preserve the very idiots that breed more children when they should have been permitted to remove themselves from the gene pool long ago.

Sorry, I don't buy this line of logic. If these weirdos that want to do stupid stuff are protected, they will pass this same penchant for doing stupid stuff along to their children.

Let them die in their own, spectacularly stupid fashion and keep the government out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    ...and the law of unintended consequences dictates that these same laws that we pass for the children help to preserve the very idiots that breed more children when they should have been permitted to remove themselves from the gene pool long ago.

Sorry, I don't buy this line of logic. If these weirdos that want to do stupid stuff are protected, they will pass this same penchant for doing stupid stuff along to their children.

Let them die in their own, spectacularly stupid fashion and keep the government out of it.
    The problem is with people that think their farm products are safe and yet they are not. Guess where a lot of garlic is coming from now days. China. How about your produce from Mexico? Water the plants using whatever water you can get. So it has a little bit of sewage in it, not like you will eat it.

Poor storage and preparation of your food, the government want there to be a paper trail so that they can trace when an outbreak occurs, where it came from, what is causing it, and where else it has gone. That is what the bill is all about. Now that food is shipped across our countries daily and many people can get effected from what happens far away from them what are the options that we can take?

Basically this is about keeping records and having bar codes identifying a lot of food. Sorry that is too much government intrusion for you. For the rest of us that do not want to see loved ones get sicl, fall into a coma, or even die, well maybe it is not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post

Funny I grew up on unpasteurized unhomogenized milk straight from my grandfathers farm in TN. Made us healthier. They still do in small villages in Europe and around the world. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast