Cruise Ship power plants

Hybrid View

Just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Pride. 88,000 tons. Main engines 85,000 SHP, 23 Knots. Big ship.

I could not get into the engine room but:
    Main engines 9 cylinder diesel electric. Strangest thing the main motors were hung under the ship like an out board motor. the motors could turn 360 degrees. Ship did not have a rudder. No shaft alley on the ship. For all of you who have worked on a black gang, the engineers work in a control room and not the engine room. And get this they wear clean WHITE coveralls. No waste goes over the side solids or liquid.

When we came into port they stopped the ship and came into the dock sideways. We came in to two ports and before docking turned the ship around by piviting around the center of the ship.
    It was something to see.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Where did you go and where are the pics ??Don't make me steal Swampfox 's sign.. Mrs. Dawg and I went to the Caymans, Belize, Honduras and Cozmel on the Norwegian Sun...damn that was FUN . They wouldn't let us go down to the engine room...security.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Puerta Vallerta, Mazatlan, and Cabo.

I was hopping that they would extend professional courtesy to an ex marine engineer. But I got a no.

Fun, next year we are already planning to go.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam