Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McQuay anyone?

i've got a little baby AGZ050 air cooled package chiller being used for process. circuit one has a refrigerant leak at the TX valve. this was installed in march 04. the local office is telling me that they wont touch it. the factory tells me it is definately a warranty issue, but i must deal with the local office ( read franchise, i believe). anyone out there know the deal??????? or should i just bite the bullet and fix it myself?

Try this.....

Dear Flange,

Get through the back door by requesting that the factory supply you with the area rep who is responsible for the repair. When they tell you it's the area rep, you tell them you were already turned down for any warranty repairs on this machine....then just watch the fur fly. You'll get some respose then.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

PS: We're a Trane dealer as well.

yeah, i already did that and the factory told me to call some vice president up in canada. i dont really want to go that route unless necessary, but i think its going to have to be that way.

the agz chiller is a scroll if i am not mistaken. around here normally it would be installed by a mechanical contractor and started up by the contractor and not by mcquay. so the contractor responsibilty to do the repair. if mcquay did the start up then it should fall on them. labor credit should be available i would think.

Flange,freonrick is correct. Typically these units come with a parts only warranty. Labour to covered by the contractor/customer. Has the factory told you they will cover labour? Where abouts are you?

Parts only,typical Mcquay crap.There should be a 1 year parts and labour warranty on it.Every manufacturer I know of has 1 year parts and labour warranty.Even if mechanical contractors install and start our chillers there is still a 1 year parts and labour warranty.I would turn up the heat on these guys and don't take no for an answer, make them honor it and go through your paperwork and see what it says.And use this as a gauge on why not to buy Mcqauy in the future.

Choose one path and stick to it.....

Dear Flange,

The ultimate choose is yours to make. It seems you have two options at this point:

One, you need to get this machine repaired and going, at this point, make the necessary repairs yourself, document the work on a field written work order and then try to get any part and labor reimbursements from the factory through that vice president. And when he asks you why did you fix the problem yourself instead of going through the proper channels, you tell him that the process that this particular chiller performs is critical to your whole operation and that is why you choose a McQuay chiller to begin with because of their superior dependability and reputation (don’t laugh here), and after trying to go through the proper channels you were turned down and had to get this critical chiller up and running. Then you just pause and remain quiet…….let him speak next. I just bet he will take care of you at that point.

On the other hand if you can afford to wait for the chiller to be repaired you contact this vice president and tell him the same story except you cry a little on his shoulder about now that you’ve been turned down on warranty what are you to do…..and remain quiet and …….you know the rest.

Just my own humble option.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Standard warranty on centrifugal and screw chillers is one year parts and labour. Everything else is one year parts only. If the factory has authorized this repair as warranty on labour the rep will be paid to fix it. Mcquay does not have a vice-president in Canada. Depending on where you are Mcquay up here would have nothing to do with it.

the factory had told me it was absolutely covered parts and labor. local service rep is known for wearing out the tops of their shoes from dragging their feet. the suggestion was to call the eastern region vice president who happens to be located in canada. for many reasons, i didnt like to do it that way, prefer to fight it out in the trenches first. today i found i backdoor into the local branch through industry networking and problem is to be taken care of this week. what i was looking for was that backdoor, which usually requires some code words to get opened. thanks .

call Bob Pitts @ McQuay service ctr he will help you they have a 1- 800 # if you need it email me @ robtynashville@aol.com

where are you located?

787 guy is correct.....only centrifugals and screws have a manditory first year parts and labor warranty as standard.It is also manditory for the factory to provide start-up. I would never take on a first year labor warranty if I didn't start it up also.
    First year labor warranty is an option that is available at the time of sale and is executed by McQuay service. If the installing contractor did not purchase the labor warranty it would generally be his responsibilty under his contract to make the repairs.
    Trane, Carrier and York have the same warranty.....only unitary products like rooftops,PTAC's, small condensing units ever come standard with a first year labor warranty.

thermo are you from thermo envirionmental by chance?
    is this really happening or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast