I have a 2 yr old Trane RTAC chiller that is currently running as a standalone unit on a Landis/Gyr system. I am getting ready to install a Honeywell Lon based control system. My local Trane office is telling me that they have to install and program the LonTalk option for this chiller. They are wanting 4K+ for this board and programming. I have a feeling that they are trying to hose me. For you Trane guys out there, is this reasonable and correct? If not, how do I get around the local office?

I didn't see a card for it on Lonmark.

try this

Possibly they need to retrofit a new controller as well?

I believe this is the card. http://lonmark.com/products/prodinfo.cfm?ProductID=518

I have a couple of RTAC chillers with this card (not used) at this time but I did fire it up with Rover to check it.

That price sounds pretty high. There's not much to the card and you can buy Rover for just a couple of hundred dollars if you need it to set it up.

That looks like it... You would think it comes ready-to-go like the RTU's...

Anyway, that's steep.

That is the card that they are telling me that is needed. The problem is that they are telling me that it has to be programmed by Trane (Rover) and they won't sell me Rover "it is propietary". They want as much for their programming as they do the board.

In my units the cards came from the factory that way. The comm 5 is an optional interface. I picked up the Rover software at a local parts distributor that sell Trane Light Commercial. Just 2 or 3 hundred for the software alone. Any lon pcmcia card will work.

The one thing that i know you will definetly have to do is contact tac for a modified XIF file.

Trane Tracer CH530 LCI-C
    8040 - Chiller" 80002A5028030401 LCIC.xif (contact TAC for modified XIF file) 3.2 V5.0 B75