Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squirrel Cage Blower Wiring Help?

I just bought a used blower that I want to use to distribute heat from a wood stove to other rooms of the house thru ducts. Problem is, I can't find any sort of wiring info on it. Did pull the motor loose and have info from it, but no sort of wiring diagram. Can't find it on net either.

Emerson motor model K55HXFBM-1124
    Part # 51-21764-01

I know it is 230v 2 spd and it has 4 wires. They are black, brown, red and orange. I also found where it is supposed to have a running capacitor (5mfd, 370v) but it doesn't have it so I will have to get it.

Can someone help me out with wiring info? TIA.

Sorry but you probably won't get much useful info here due to no diy rules.

Simple, just tie them all together then call somebody that knows what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by basshound71 View Post
    Simple, just tie them all together then call somebody that knows what they are doing
    Sorry, wasn't aware of the DIY rules. As for calling someone, I can't afford to. Wife hasn't worked in over a year, I am making less than $30,000 a year, no raise in over 3 years, have 5 (adult) mouths to feed and can't get any public assistance. Had 2 electric bills last year that were nearly $500 each while burning wood stove 12 hours a day and that takes it's toll on us. Was just trying to do something to help keep us warm without cutting into what little grocery money we have. Just hauled off an old truck Friday for scrap so we would have money to buy Thanksgiving Dinner.

No offense intended to the majority of you guys, but some of you haven't seen hard times yet. Maybe if you do, you will see why I have to do so many things myself. Before you say find a better paying job...sorry but there are few jobs left in the area. Can't afford to move either at the current time.

How many of you guys who are 46 could actually live on $13/hr, pay health insurance, mortgage, electric bill, car and home insurance, and buy groceries? Now you see why I have to do things on my own and try to research forums and learn? Thanks for your help.

I am going to be really jaded now...but your story is all to common. Its not that we dont want to help, but site rules do not allow us to help. If someone would give you very specific instructions they could be banned. This site is a valuable learning tool for us to be banned would mean losing a vast knowledge resource.

By the way...HVAC like most construction has been hit HARD by the economic downturn. Don't assume we all are making 50 an hour and living on the hog..that is far from the case.

If you have 5 adult mouths to feed. that means you have at least 3 people that can get a job at Micky D's or some other joint, flipping burgers, or what ever to bring in some extra money.

If any are over 60, then they can get their SSI.

Wife should still be getting unemployment checks.

A family of 5, can have a fairly high income, and still get food stamps.

CAP programs also pay for repairs to furnaces of needy people. To aid them in preventing the loss of their home.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

plug it in and toss it into your fireplace and watch it distribute good heat. let me know how it goes. Keep me posted

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you have 5 adult mouths to feed. that means you have at least 3 people that can get a job at Micky D's or some other joint, flipping burgers, or what ever to bring in some extra money.
    Unemployment rate in my area is well over 10%. Wife was having to drive 25 miles each way to/from work since we live in the country. She has applied for jobs in fast food but they don't want to hire someone they feel is over qualified. One of my son's has just signed up for Army as he was working for an individual who had to cut his position due to slow business. Owner only had 2 employees. Since son was seen more as an independant contractor, there is no unemployment. He won't start basic training until after 1st of year so he is now without a job. Furthermore, not many people want to hire someone for only 4 weeks when they know he is leaving for the Army.

If any are over 60, then they can get their SSI.
    Wife has an uncle (62) who lives with us that gets a SS check for less than $500 a month. He is mentally handicapped since birth, can't work, and none of the rest of the family wants to deal with him. He has epilepsy and other health issues and his insurance doesn't cover all expenses. That takes the majority of his check. Furthermore, he can't stay home alone for more than a few hours at a time. He did just get foodstamps about 2 months ago. He is receiving a total of $32/month in FS.

Wife should still be getting unemployment checks.
    Wife was never eligible. Before leaving, she was hearing rumors of her store being closed in the near future. In addition, she had a new district manager who wanted her to write up employees who did not meet a sales quota based on previous years, in an area that had a growing unemployment rate. She was talking to a manager from another business and was told to apply for a job their company had open. She did and was interviewed. All was good and was basically promised the job contingent on meeting with that company's DM the following day. Wife was excited and went back and turned her keys in. The following day when she met with the DM from the other company, she found they decided to cut the job out they were planning on filling. Since she quit, she was ineligible for unemployment and her store closed in 2 weeks. I told her it was a stupid move on her part and she agrees.

CAP programs also pay for repairs to furnaces of needy people. To aid them in preventing the loss of their home.
    Furnace isn't torn up. House is old farmhouse that is over 120 years old and we have added all the insulation we can. It cannot be made more efficient without tearing down and rebuilding.

A family of 5, can have a fairly high income, and still get food stamps.
    About a year ago when we checked, they figured in my income, son's income, and uncle's SS. We were told we would receive less than $100/month. Am going to have to check into it again since son's income is now gone and when he goes to basic training, he will not be considered anyway.

As much as I feel for the OP's story, but what does this have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by bby View Post
    No offense intended to the majority of you guys, but some of you haven't seen hard times yet. Maybe if you do, you will see why I have to do so many things myself. Before you say find a better paying job...sorry but there are few jobs left in the area. Can't afford to move either at the current time.
    As for the motor/fan being used to circulate heat throughout the house...IMHO bad idea. Carbon monoxide could too easily be distributed throughout the entire home this way, especially if the fan disrupts the combustion process even a little.

As for the hard times....Been there and done that. Sorry for your troubles.

Unless you have people living in your home with disabilities, I have a hard time believing your doing "everything" in your power to better your situation. If you have the internet at your disposal, there are ways to make some cash here and there...

Good luck and hope things improve.
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

My brother did what you want to do several years ago. The blower created negative pressure in the house caused the stove to down draft (while they were not at home) and filled the house with smoke. Caused extensive smoke damage and required significant dollars to have professionally cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenJ View Post
    My brother did what you want to do several years ago. The blower created negative pressure in the house caused the stove to down draft (while they were not at home) and filled the house with smoke. Caused extensive smoke damage and required significant dollars to have professionally cleaned.
    I understand what you are saying but I am not planning on doing it the way you may think. I already have a wood stove with a factory blower installed (Buckstove). What I want to do is simply run a duct into the living room to pick hot air up 10' away from stove and distribute that into ducts in the house. I am not in any way connecting it to the stove directly or pulling any air from outside for it. It is simply redistributing warm air from living room to colder rooms on back side of house.

If I lived up there in your town bby, I would come over in a heartbeat and help you with your situation from start to finish, no charge. Well, maybe a good plate of turkey day food!

I've been in your shoes for a long, long time my friend, my entire family has. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
    If I lived up there in your town bby, I would come over in a heartbeat and help you with your situation from start to finish, no charge. Well, maybe a good plate of turkey day food!

I've been in your shoes for a long, long time my friend, my entire family has. Good luck.
    Thank you. About 3 years ago, things were much better for us. We were both working and getting ahead on credit cards and everything else. Since then, the cards have been maxed out and everything has been downhill. Oldest son sold his truck a few months ago to pay some of his bills off. Last week, he was driving wife's 96 Nissan and was ran off the road. Ended up busting oil pan, AC compressor, hoses, and belt. Now it's off the road for awhile. The day after that, my starter went out. I missed a day of work, but pulled it down and put new brushes in it. For a rebuilt starter, it was going to be $135, but I only spent $10 for the brushes. Seems like when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

For any of you who feel this can't happen to you, don't get too comfortable. It all happened so fast, you couldn't even grasp what effect it has on your life until you look back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast