Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH TRANE CGAF CHILLERS LOSING
    CONDENSER COILS ? THIS WILL BE THE FOURTH IN 5 YEARS
    THEY KEEP GETTING LEAKS IN THEM.

TRANE CGAF CONDENSER COIL

What is the thickness of the copper tubes on the coil that you have??

Nothing on the "Flake Sheets from Trane"

Dear Draino,

Are you replacing the entire condensing coil assembly?

Is this an aluminum/copper or aluminum/aluminum coil assembly?

Are you by the ocean, or any commercial or industrial site that may distribute some corrosion agent into the outside air near this system?

Has the previous coil defects been in the field of the coil itself, in the end bends, soldered joints, or other places?

Give us some more information, because as a Trane dealer, we have nothing on the “flake sheets” when it comes to that particular model. Not that we have any particular model number on “our flake sheets” when it comes to Trane equipment…….OK..OK…you can stop laughing now….lol.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

same problem

Yes, I've had trouble with 5 of the 8 that I have in my area & 2 of them have been repeat offenders. I haven't replaced any coils yet, I've been able to repair all of them. In my humble opinion I think it has somthing to do with vibration or maybe the copper is crap. No leaks on braze joints just around the tube sheets or in the middle of the fin area. They all look like hell after repair is made. I did bypass the leaking tube on one of them but I didn't save any real time doing so. I've just been burning away the tube sheet or the fins & doing the deed.
    All my leon freaked out!

Model Numbers?

Dear Chiller mekanik,

Wow, that’s not a very good record for this Trane equipment. Seriously though, we don’t have anything in our files to indicate a pattern of what the two of you are seeing in the field.

You mentioned vibration was a suspicion you have regarding these breaks in the field of the coils and in the area of the tube sheets. What model numbers do you have and Draino what model numbers do you have? These 10 to 60 ton air cooled systems come from one to four Trane 3 D Scroll compressors and from one to six condensing motors.

I’ll await your reply.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

I HAVE REPLACED AND REPAIRED MANY TRANE CONDENSOR COILS. THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO LEAK ON RETURN BENDS ON THE LOWER HALF.TRANE IS GOOD EQUIPMENT BUT QUALITY IS LACKING EVERYWHERE WITH ALL MANUFACTURERS.

60 & 50 ton CGAE &CGAF

John, I believe they all have 6 fans & 4 compresors with 2 in tandum. I also have 4 CGAD40 models & they have never leaked. All of these machines are located in N.E. FL. But I don't really believe that its anything to do with salt air as only 2 of them are on the coast [3 blocks from ocean] & only 1 circuit has leaked on those. Besides, none of them are flaking or anything like that, atleast not yet. I don't know what to make of it either.
    All my leon freaked out!

not leaving any coil cleaner on there to long are ya? i've seen that take'em out

The obvious first.....

Dear Chiller mekanik,

Is there any excessive vibration coming from any of the four(4) compressors or any of the six(6) condensing fan assemblies? I know it’s a stupid question but have to ask it anyway, are there any shipping bolts left on the compressors, and are all four(4) compressor isolation feet moving freely? It’s just that you mentioned “vibration” in one of your first posts.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

response to john

I do recall that each compressor has 4 bolts that secure each of them rigid. There is also a bracket that connects the top of each compressor together. Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank on anything else. I will stop & look @ one of them tomorrow. I started some of these machines up & would prefer to believe that I covered all of that in the beginning. I've also worked on every one of them several times but, for some reason[maybe age]I just can't remember if the area that the compressors are mounted to is floating or rigid. I'll let you know what I see. P.S. I don't recall anything unusual about any of the fans.
    All my leon freaked out!

CGA TRANE CHILLER CONDENSER COIL LEAKS

We have experienced multiple leaks over the years on to CGA 50 Ton chillers. We have repaired them as well as replaced them. Have even experienced leaks on the new replacement coils in less than 4 years. All of the leaks occur where the tubes pass thru the tube sheet casing, both at the ubend tube sheet end and also at the center casing. When the tube sheet is moved exposing the coil contact area, rub marks can be seen indicating it is vibration induced. However, we have measured vibration and there does not appear to be excessive vibration as compared to other chillers and AC equipment on site. Also, we have seen this on a Trane RTAA series 250 Ton Chiller, repairing at least 7 leaks over the last 5 years, also in the same casing area. We have asked Trane several times if this was product issue, but each time we were told that it was not.

The last coil we ordered was from Nationwide. We ordered a special tube thickness of .020" instead of the OEM .016" and also had the tube sheet casings constructed of 304 SS in lieu of the OEM galvanized. Nationwide engineers suggested we try the SS just in case there was some corrosion issues with the galvanized which we really have not seen, but the cost difference was not that great and we felt it was worth a try.

Is there any new info out there? Has anyone else seen this with Trane coils.
    At this one facility, there are several other brand chillers of the same size and vintage and not one coil failure has occurred.

CGAFC504ACA1000D S/N C99K20595M
    CGAFC504AGA1000D S/N C02F05841

Quote Originally Posted by draino View Post
    HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH TRANE CGAF CHILLERS LOSING
    CONDENSER COILS ? THIS WILL BE THE FOURTH IN 5 YEARS
    THEY KEEP GETTING LEAKS IN THEM.
    We have had to replace several coils on cgaf's. Some were still under warranty. Ask your local Trane office.

there was a documented issue on these units...

CGAF, 20-60 ton, serial number range J96 through C07

can't tell you much more than that...it's a secret!
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

Original member of the Raccoon Brotherhood.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast