Dirty sock syndrome questions on payne unit

Dirty sock syndrome questions on payne unit

Hey guys I need some help with a problem one of my customers is having. I installed a new 5 ton payne heat pump system with a air handler about six months ago. Unit has been running great.

Since it started getting colder and he had to start running the heat pump he says he is getting an odor like a drity sock. He also told me he had the same thing about ten years ago when he had his unit replaced (the unit I just replaced). He said the contractor tried several things and finally replaced the indoor coil and it went away.

I'm just trying to figure out if payne will warranty the coil because from what I have read up on this problem you have to get a coated coil to solve the problem and that going back with a standard coil will not fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

have heard of several paynes with issues related to wet insulation due to carryover from too much air velocity. this was evidenced by installing plexiglass to see it in action by one contractor.

What did they end up doing?

I have been told that there are only two ways to get rid of dirty sock syndrom. 1- change the coil out. 2- install U.V. lamp inside the air handler. If you replace the coil' there is no guarantee that it's going to stay (spore free) if there is any of this stuff in the ductwork. But, with a U.V. lamp it's supposed to kill the spores and keep them from getting back on the coil. Oh and don't use clorox, I can tell you from experience, this just pisses it off.

lowered airflow and installed a good uv light

What about mini splits?

Hey guys sorry to post jack, but still on topic. Got a couple mitsu mini splits that have had similar problems. Tried disinfecting with a mold killer, but it doesn't seem to last. Unit is in an office area, away from any source of nastiness (bathrooms, garbage etc.). Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    have heard of several paynes with issues related to wet insulation due to carryover from too much air velocity. this was evidenced by installing plexiglass to see it in action by one contractor.
    The plexi glass is exactly what we use to show the customers and to see whats going on, it's a great tool.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings