Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This happens to me sometimes -- even on an all day installation. I was changing out a gas furnace and swinging 'S' cleats around, and nearly caught the guy in the face. I finally said to him :' How about if i come and get you when im done with the installation ?' . He got the message and took his dog for a very long walk.

What are some tactful ways to tell a HO to 'please take a hike' ??? Or..perhaps you believe since they are paying the bill that its ok (??)

I would tell them

The more they watch, the more I charge!

I dont mind it half as much if im not having to concentrate on something ; but, if im tracing out a schematic diagram or rewiring something...i like total solitude and quietness so i can do the job correctly the first time. Know what i mean ???

I don't.

I have a "special" screwdriver that is several inches shorter than it originally was, JUST for this type of situation.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    I don't.

I have a "special" screwdriver that is several inches shorter than it originally was, JUST for this type of situation.
    LOL I used to do the same thing. Nothing makes a customer leave you alone quicker than short to ground !!

Yeah that leaves a great impression of your craftsmanship!
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Originally posted by condenseddave
    I don't.

If that's an uninsulated screwdriver, that would explain a lot

drink lots of coffee so you have bad coffe breath and always eat onions and broccolli and eggs with black bean sauce. the gas you emmit should be enought to have you declared an enviromental hazard.

But seriously there is no easy way to have a HO back up. Your in his personal home working on his furnace. "I'm having a little trouble concentrating here perhaps I need a bit more room to think" that may work keep it polite though
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Originally posted by The Penguin
    drink lots of coffee so you have bad coffe breath
    Ah jeez Penguin. Bad coffee breath? I drink coffee by the gallons, now you've got me wonderin if that's how I backed that customer up all over his house the other day

I kept trying to discuss his furnace with him, but he just kept backing away from me. I think he backed down the basement stairs. I just left the bill on the table.

[Edited by midhvac on 01-15-2005 at 09:30 PM]

Just put them to work? lol

Talking

three ideas;
    1)ask them to go listen for the sound of air moving in the ductwork elsewhere or some other off the wall task, or ask them to fetch you a tool or two and keep doing it till they get the point ?

2) carry something really rotten smelling in a sealed bowl and peel the lid when they show up ??

3) tell them you need to go uot to the van for a minute, then come back, keep doing it until they get the point ???
    Da Threadkilla

It gets bad sometimes. On friday I had this home owner, he was a nice guy. He wanted me to show him how to change the filters and where the breakers were. I was in a hole back in the back of his house. I crawled out showed him then went back. It was a long crawl. Its part of the job!

Originally posted by hvacfella

What are some tactful ways to tell a HO to 'please take a hike' ??? Or..perhaps you believe since they are paying the bill that its ok (??)

The way i understand is the answer to that question is how the whole 9mm thread got started
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast