Trane XE90 Control Board

My unit started blowing cold air with 4 flashes on the control board. After Ohming everything out it was determined that the control board was at fault. My unit is 11 years old and had White-Rogers part number 50A65-475 control board. According to every source I could find that old board was replaced with a 50A65-843. Installed the new control board and now I have 5 flashes indicating a Rollout error. The unit doesn't seem to have a rollout sensor. When I look at the large connector that plugs into the control board the RO1 and RO2 spots don't have any wires in them.

Should these be shorted together on the new control board?

Did a service company install it? That's not a genuine Trane board but a generic module. My guess is the installer doesn't know how to read the instructions Call him back!

trane code 5 flash

I have a Trane gas furnace:

The instructions state on page 3 states:

“ Trane application – Jumper wire 151-2906 (provided with control) must be installed on the furnace from RO1 to RO2 of the 12-pin connector.”

This instruction leaves no doubt that this is to be a permanent modification to this installation.

Here is my concern, by implementing this modification, it will in effect, bypass the Circulating blower’s “SAFETY LIMIT SWITCH” which I understand is supposed to shut down the furnace if it overheats! Isn’t this a dangerous state to leave my furnace (home) unprotected? Who will be liable if the fan overheats and causes a fire?

Shouldn’t I be able to wire the blower’s limit switch into RO1 and RO2 instead of leaving it bypassed for safety reasons? What's the difference of wiring in blower's limit switch to ro1 and ro2 instead of the rollout switches (which is wired in other ports of controller per instructions from white/rodgers)? This way if the blower overheats and opens up it's limit switch, the controller will shut down the furnace and avoid burning down my house! Or, what is the benefit of leaving out the blower's limit switch by keeping Ro1 and Ro2 jumpered?

Yes, jumper Ro1 and Ro2 per white rodgers instructions, but what about blower limit switch?

I have a Trane gas furnace:

The instructions state on page 3 states:

“ Trane application – Jumper wire 151-2906 (provided with control) must be installed on the furnace from RO1 to RO2 of the 12-pin connector.”

This instruction leaves no doubt that this is to be a permanent modification to this installation.

Here is my concern, by implementing this modification, it will in effect, bypass the Circulating blower’s “SAFETY LIMIT SWITCH” which I understand is supposed to shut down the furnace if it overheats! Isn’t this a dangerous state to leave my furnace (home) unprotected? Who will be liable if the fan overheats and causes a fire?

Shouldn’t I be able to wire the blower’s limit switch into RO1 and RO2 instead of leaving it bypassed for safety reasons? What's the difference of wiring in blower's limit switch to ro1 and ro2 instead of the rollout switches (which is wired in other ports of controller per instructions from white/rodgers)? This way if the blower overheats and opens up it's limit switch, the controller will shut down the furnace and avoid burning down my house! Or, what is the benefit of leaving out the blower's limit switch by keeping Ro1 and Ro2 jumpered?

no

I've replaced lots of those Trane boards, never had to put any jumper in that I remember.

I think it is about time; You need to call a Pro.

Theres inst with the 843 module,those get jumped on certain applications,but I want to know how do you know its the board,besides just ohming out?no diy here,did you call a pro?

Quote Originally Posted by hbsbtrouble View Post
    Here is my concern, by implementing this modification, it will in effect, bypass the Circulating blower’s “SAFETY LIMIT SWITCH” which I understand is supposed to shut down the furnace if it overheats! Isn’t this a dangerous state to leave my furnace (home) unprotected?Who will be liable if the fan overheats and causes a fire?
    YOU WILL MY FRIEND!!! If a qualified service person did not install the board and you were the one who put it on, then you are responsible!!

The fan motor has its own overload/overheat protection.

The roll-out ro1 and ro2 terminals should be jumped because that furnace doesn't have those components....AND BTW, there are many other safeties on that furnace to keep it from catching afire...
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

American standards the same,(trane)