Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ASZ16 or ASZ18

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22

    ASZ16 or ASZ18

    I am looking to buy new heatpump. I live in PA where its more on colder side than hot.

    I am bit confused as whether I should go with ASZ16 or ASZ18.

    The ASZ16 3tonne can give me 16 SEER, 12.5 EER and 9.75 HSPF AHRI 3611050
    The ASZ18 3tonne can give me 18 SEER, 13 EER and 9.5 HSPF - AHRI 3611066

    The cooling btu and heating btu ( at high and low temp) comes out the be the same in both cases.

    So If I do not use AC a lot in summer and use more electricity in winter to heat the house(~1600 Sqft) should I go with ASZ16?

    I would think ASZ16 should be considerably cheaper than ASZ18.

    I am bit confused as why the ASZ16 is better in terms of heat efficiancy than ASZ18.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,017
    That is a good question about why the HSPF rating is lower.

    I have installed many of both and I do like the ASZ18 units.

    They have a very nice fan motor. Its even quieter than ASZ16.

    That is basically the only difference.

    The EER rating does show savings in Heat with nicer fan motor.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by amasuperbike View Post
    That is a good question about why the HSPF rating is lower.

    I have installed many of both and I do like the ASZ18 units.

    They have a very nice fan motor. Its even quieter than ASZ16.

    That is basically the only difference.

    The EER rating does show savings in Heat with nicer fan motor.
    Thank you very much for your reply!!

    So other than ASZ18 being quiter, I would not see better heat output, or better efficiency compared to ASZ16?

  4. #4

    Got an ASZ-18 and really like it

    Quote Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply!!

    So other than ASZ18 being quiter, I would not see better heat output, or better efficiency compared to ASZ16?
    Had some issues w/it but you can't beat it for heat eff. Pretty quiet, the outside unit is outside the bedroom and you can barely hear it. Nice tax break on it too.

    Amana does treat you right got the entire outside unit replaced under warranty b/c of a reversing valve became "unsolder-ed".

  5. #5
    If your concern is heat and there is much of a price difference between the 16 and 18, I would go with the 16.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply!!

    So other than ASZ18 being quiter, I would not see better heat output, or better efficiency compared to ASZ16?
    More heat output? No

    Better efficiency, well yes a tiny bit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Thank you all for your help. There is significant ( at least to me) difference in price between 16 and 18 ( about 20%).

    It seems to me that for that extra bit of efficiency, It would take a long time for me to recover extra cost in equipment.

    I am more concerned about heat anyways...so will go with 16 model.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by amasuperbike View Post
    More heat output? No

    Better efficiency, well yes a tiny bit.
    Thanks amasuperbike.

    The tiny bit efficiency that you mentioned with 18 model, would be 18 seer vs 16 seer, i.e. in cooling only? In the winter both perform at the same efficiency right? I always thought that if it has higher seer rating it would be more efficient in heating too...but I guess that is not always the case(depending on coil design etc??)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantGarde View Post
    Had some issues w/it but you can't beat it for heat eff. Pretty quiet, the outside unit is outside the bedroom and you can barely hear it. Nice tax break on it too.

    Amana does treat you right got the entire outside unit replaced under warranty b/c of a reversing valve became "unsolder-ed".
    Thanks. You are right, I looked up the specs of the two to compare sound, the 16 seer - 3t is 73db, and 18 seer 3t is 72db. I am not sure how much difference that would make... I know its not linear.

    Did you have to get the yearly service plan so that they would honor labor warranty? I heard from someone that they are giving 10 year labor warranty but you have to get it serviced every year etc( its in their fine prints..) I have not seed warranty text...but if you can let me know your experience, that would be great.

  10. #10

    Yep, I got the whole shebang w/the system

    Quote Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
    Thanks. You are right, I looked up the specs of the two to compare sound, the 16 seer - 3t is 73db, and 18 seer 3t is 72db. I am not sure how much difference that would make... I know its not linear.

    Did you have to get the yearly service plan so that they would honor labor warranty? I heard from someone that they are giving 10 year labor warranty but you have to get it serviced every year etc( its in their fine prints..) I have not seed warranty text...but if you can let me know your experience, that would be great.
    Glad I did. Had an issue w/the rev valve in March of this year...rep under warrant. I let the do a system tune up before the blazing summer (I had to pay for that).

    Kept having intermittent prob. w/the AC simply not wanting to cycle on and finally failed in OCT. The repairman said he could try to resolder it but prolly on THIS unit Amana will elect to replace the entire compressor and that's what happened.
    The ASZ-18 and matching AH blows up a zephyr and will quickly warm/cool your home w/out the penalty in your power bill.

    Re heating: last winter was extreme here in the south, but the Amana handled w/oblong and never paid more than 110 bucks last winter for power (we're straight electricity here). The emergency heat kicked on thrice...temps were solidly in the low-teens all night.

    Hope this helps, perhaps Amana got the bugs out of the rev valves now and you get a reliable unit for years

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW FL
    Posts
    176
    What about the paradox, for someone that lives in FL, albeit NW FL who uses more A/C vs heat? Would I be better off spending extra for the ASZ18?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    What about the paradox, for someone that lives in FL, albeit NW FL who uses more A/C vs heat? Would I be better off spending extra for the ASZ18?
    I do think the 18 is a superior unit.

    The fan and mount system is a better design IMO. Which is a extremely important part of the unit.

    With that said, - Will you, the end user notice much difference in the actual operation? Not really. As Avante pointed out they are not much different.

    Yes It is slightly more efficient than 16 in both heating and cooling modes.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event