Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Airport alternatives to invasive searches

How about we all see what we can come up with as alternatives to the current highly personal invasive searches and Xrays now used at airports. Here is what I thought of:

1) Profiling- start by looking for the very type of person, characteristics and actions that match previous terrorists.

2) Place explosive sensing devices on the planes themselves. In the main cabin and in the restrooms.

3) Place video cameras in the passenger area and record every minute from the time people board to the time they get off.

4) Place an air marshall and a dog on every single flight.

5) Allow regular travelers and those proven frequent flyers to obtain a clearance thru a background check and flying history to move thru a less intensive search line.

Perhaps there are other good ideas you may have. Perhaps we ought to compile a good alternative list and forward it to our senators and representatives. It seems to me that TSA is not very creative and needs some common sense sent their direction.

Hugh
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

write a letter to your local airport explaining that you won't use their services until they remove the TSA and hire a private security firm that is given permission to profile passengers.

i'm sure there are individuals in Israel that would love an opportunity to share their expertise in this field, for a modest fee.

Profiling is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Dog's trained to sniff out explosives. Everyone gets sniffed.

I remember a episode of All in the Family where Archie Bunker said he could end all hijacking by issuing hand guns to everyone as they get on the plane and they return them when they get off. As ridiculous as that is...it would probably work.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Profiling is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Dog's trained to sniff out explosives. Everyone gets sniffed.

I remember a episode of All in the Family where Archie Bunker said he could end all hijacking by issuing hand guns to everyone as they get on the plane and they return them when they get off. As ridiculous as that is...it would probably work.
    I remember that episode and agree that would eliminate hijacking but handing out guns to un-trained people would cause many other problems. That's a whole other discussion.

If someone boards a plane with a bomb, they have most likely already decided to die taking the plane and everyone else with them. A gun probably wouldn't do any good.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

If a bomb makes it on the plane there is not much you can do. Guns, dog, marshall, sensing device, etc. all go boom! The best it will do is to keep the plane on the ground as this happens.A good last line of defence. As far as trusting someone not to be a bomber, I think that would be a bomber's best wish.

This is all just so silly, just require that everyone fly in nothing but their birthday suits

Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    I remember that episode and agree that would eliminate hijacking but handing out guns to un-trained people would cause many other problems. That's a whole other discussion.
    Agreed, but it does make one think....what if. It was funny though.

On a serious note, they could have xray machines that show the skeleton features instead of just the naked body, which does not tell you if they got something stuffed up their bum.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I would have three lines to choose from.

Scanner

Body Search

Exit to waiting trailways or greyhound bus
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    This is all just so silly, just require that everyone fly in nothing but their birthday suits
    Amusing idea... If you think pat-downs and groping would raise the public's dander... just try this... I think the real issue may well be more embarrasment than modesty...

Back to the subject: I like the idea of sniffing dogs at the airport. Kinda takes away the feeling of a person doing something invasive to me... yet the pup's nose is probably better than anything short of the x-ray machine.

I think they tried the idea of a special pass; something like I pay a couple of hundred bucks for a profile and background check... and go through a special line of TSA for those with the pass. Anyone remember if this worked or if it went broke?

One thing I think would help is for all government employees except POTUS and VPOTUS and a few heads of state be required to ride public airlines. Congress-critters need to be x-rayed or groped also...

I also like the idea of private firms... however there needs to be a way to measure their professional behavior (as in polite and respectful behavior to citizens).

While I am talking about 'citizens'... When the Roman Empire was at its height: A person that was 'A Roman Citizen' had rights others did not. And everyone in the world knew not to cross that line because they FEARED what would happen if they did. Anyone see a problem with American citizens having better rights than non-citizens on our soil? Might revive the idea of respect... It might also remind folks that if you want the goodies of this great country, join us and become part of us... or you are little people.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    Better stop and think about this...would you want to be on a flight next to a nekked acmanco?

Next idea....

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Better stop and think about this...would you want to be on a flight next to a nekked acmanco?

Next idea....
    No, but I can think of a few 'political stars' (ladies that is) that sound good to me...

Ken, you knew someone had to say it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    No, but I can think of a few 'political stars' (ladies that is) that sound good to me...

Ken, you knew someone had to say it...
    We all have our inner perv.

Obviously I was joking about flying sans clothing, but the current procedures are just wrong.

What people should do is just refuse to go through the machines and refuse to be groped - sure they will be denied access to planes - but when all the planes end up totally empty the rules will change in one day or less.

The problem with what they are doing, besides violating civil rights, is that it is ineffective. Terrorists are quite smart, and willing to die for their cause - they will find ways around this. They will just put the bombs up their orrifices, and the current system won't find them. So does TSA then resort to prostate exams and pap smears to make sure people don't have bombs, what about MRI and CAT scans to fly? When they do that the terrorists will simply injest plastic exposives. Their partners will take them to the planes restrooms to gut them to get the weapons, their plan was to die anyway.

The point is, what we need to do is stop being so F'ing political correct and use the methods that El Al has used for years that have been proven to work.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast