im wondering if anyone knows what type of cable to use to direct connect to controller via comm port i keep getting port initialization failures thanks to replies

The cable you need is a 9-pin null modem cable.

thanks

You have to modify the cable
    with a 470 Ohm resistor and swapping around a couple of wires
    I will post the diagram

Bobby, before building your own, or modifying something, first try a standard 9-pin F-F null-modem cable. For years, we've used a standard Radio Shack or electronics store cable right off the shelf with no modifications necessary.
    As far as port initialization errors go, even the wrong cable shouldn't cause that - you'd simply get a communications timeout from the program. Even though I'm probably preaching to the choir, I'll state the obvious that you need to make sure that no other application is trying to use the COM port. The one that catches our techs the most is that pesky Palm HotSync application running in the background, claiming the serial port even if not specifically called for.

Dittos with a standard 9-pin null modem cable

i have had sucess using a data or file tramsfer cable to connect to the dx9100 controller for several years and have had no problems. You can find these cables at most computer stores at a fair price.

yes, Radio Shack Circuit City they are about 15 to 25 bucks depending on the store

Yep, standard 9 to 9 null modem cable, I don't know what cleancondenser is talking about, when he mentions modifying the cable and adding a resistor. It almost sounds as though you have a software issue with your connection.

yes it was a problem with the laptop software now fixed thanks for your help