Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    He saw no way to fix the furnace and wanted to sell me a new furnace.
    All of you who thinks he should be paid... Is this how you run your businesses? With an inducer-equipped furnace we aren't talking a 50s relic. Sounds like he didn't want to work on it, just sell a new one. OK, if the 2nd tech suddenly can't fix it either, then I might agree. But we have way too many "salesmen techs" around town that if they see something over 10 years old, they won't even try to fix, just pressure the customer into new equipment. It's amazing how many of these furnaces need little or nothing to keep them going.

Pay the man. You called and he came. Unless he gave a guarantee he could fix it that day. $105 is cheap for a Sunday.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

KANE,Your'e the kind of customer that really chafes me!If you get called into work on week ends you get overtime don't you? The man showed up didn't he? He may not have been the best service tech.(which is another whole story)But you need to pay him.This is the part of job that gets to me sometimes,customer wants to pick your brain, you get them going(maybe temp,) and now the problem is resolved,they don't "think" they should have to pay.IMHO.

do the right thing and pay the tradesman. He left his family to help yours!

wouldn't it be wise to explane to customers

#1 our service tech. will do there best to fix YOUR problem, but
    in the event they can't, you will still have to pay a min charge of
    $$$. is this agreeable? I feel it's also wise to tell the customer what you won't do ! like baby sit there children and pets.

OH and wet ,rat infested crawelers are double time charges during normal work hrs.

Being the owner and also the person that would go out on a sunday call, if I could not fix it there would be no charge. I have to agree that if it is fixed by the last guy you have reason to be upset but you called them and they came so I would pay. I would talk to the owner (after you get it fixed) and see what he says. I have paid service guys alot more to work on machinery and not have the problem fixed but solve it myself later. I like getting what I pay for just like everyone else but sometimes you pay for on the job training and still have a problem. If you don't pay you can bet next time he won't come back and he maybe the only one answering his phone on sunday.

He might have seen a fault the next guy missed.Why did he suggest a new furnace??If you say he found a crack & the other guy did not.you need to have them back so he can show the problem to the guy that missed it.You might be not wanting to pay the better tech & the guy that is trying to keep you & your family safe!

[Edited by markwolf on 01-15-2005 at 10:53 PM]
    Take your time & do it right!

You "fetched" him the tools????.....By any chance......
    is your name Jethro Bodine?
    Did ya invite him for a swim in the ceeeeeeement pond?
    You should have.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Would also like to know what was done to "show me how I could make furnace work for time being." The first tech showed you how? The second tech says new inducer? So did the first tech jump the safety?

Hmm new furnace!!

OK i get it, I will pay the man when I recieve his bill. Tech. #2 did not get it fixed either with a pressure sw or a inducer. The inducer is not sucking on the pressure switch hard enough to keep the contacts closed, no water in unit. So I am looking at a new furnace.

Tech 1- $3000 to install a trane

Tech 2- $1600 to install tempstar and will not charge for anything he has done so far, even the two parts he changed!

Both 90+ systems

BTW- to answer OT question - I fix airplanes and am on salary, no overtime when I get called in and I cant say no to Uncle Sam.

What did they say was wrong with the furnace? Unless you have a bad heat exchanger this would be something easily fixed by someone that knows what they are doing. You might need a third tech to look at it.

The think there is a internal problem(heat exchanger)? They are at their witts end! So am I! I just want heat. I have nothing but problems every winter with this furnace so I am ready for a new one.

Bird in the horizontal vent pipe blocking the vent, preventing the pressure switch from "making?"

With the reference to the "on going" problems with the furnace, I would KNOW absolutely what the problem is BEFORE I either repaired OR replaced the furnace. Otherwise, how do you know, or how does the service provider know, for sure, that replacing the furnace is going to correct the problem? Nothing worse than going through a replacement whether $1600 or $3000 only to discover there was a problem external to the furnace that STILL REMAINS. Replacement may in fact be the proper avenue to take, but I for one, would still want to know why I was replacing the unit. Question: After you have replaced the furnace and handed the HO a bill for $3000, how are you going to address the problem and anticipated screaming when the system does the exact same thing? Being "parts changers" can apply to equipment as well you know. Just like the homeowner needs all the available information to make an informed decision, I as the industry "expert" have to have all the available information to make an informed "recommendation."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast