Payne VS Tempstar Any difference?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Payne VS Tempstar Any difference?

I have been quoted a couple of prices on some systems for my house. I am replacing a 20 year old Heil 3 ton Heat pump. I am looking at getting a basic 13 seer system with a variable speed handler. I have narrowed it down to two service companies both of which have been around for 20+ years with good references. One is offering a tempstar the other is offering a Payne. I thought that both of these are under the "Carrier" umbrella. Is there any preference for one over the other? I heard that the Payne heat pumps are made in Mexico. is that true and/or it is the same quality as those made in the US?

Any comments and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

correct

The Paynes are made in mexico and the Tempstars are made in Collierville, Tn. I have been there and seen it with my own eyes lol. I would for sure go R410a refrigerant and may ask the Tempstar dealer to quote you mainline so you can get a no-hassle warranty. Also, with the right combination and you get your seer rating higher, you could qualify for a tax rebate. Most of all, help the American worker, buy a Tempstar.

cain is right, buy american......get the tempstar.

paynes are a PAIN!!!!
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Which T*?

They have the low end line which is essentially a Payne with a different color paint. Not sure if still Tennessee or not. The premium Tempstar is very nice with great warranties. I'd sure want to go that way.

Around here, Payne is sold to the public so you can't always be sure of the contractor.

Reading through previous posts on here. One member said the Paynes were made in the USA if not mistaken. Did Payne recently move to Mexico?

I apologize. The Tempstar I believe says its aN N4H4 14 seer Heat Pump.

That is a low end Tempstar, essentially the same as a Payne mechanically and cabinet wise. Probably American though. And there is a match with modular variable speed blower and coil that would qualify for the tax credits.

The T4H4 is the nice unit. Quiet, better cabinet, better compressor protection, 7 year replacement unit pledge. Also has several matches that get the tax credit up to $1500 smackers!

First off i doubt there is much difference between the two but ive installed a lot of Pyne units and have had zero issues with them..

secondly dont drop the heatpump make sure you downgrade ,you need to upgrade and or keep the Heatpup unless you have natural gas for heat..

If you keep the heatpump you can get the 14 seer with the proper matchup tp meet the 15 seer ratings for the rebate with the staright ac you would need a 16 seer condenser and coil.so its a wash up front but your winter utilitys would be much lower with the heatpump..

anyway im a contractor and i would feel bad not to explain this upfront,no straight ac condensers with electric resistence heat as main heating !

seriously

There is a big disparity in price between the two contractors. One contractor said that the payne is made in the same place as carrier, while the other said Tempstar is?

Someone must not be tellling the truth or is misinforme. I like to go with someone who knows exactly their product.

By reading the replies it says that the Payne is made in Mexico. Is this confirmed to be true?

Thanks

even if its made in Mexico i dont see the issue ,there are cars and trucks made for big companys there ,blame nafta but plain and simple the Payne has a great warranty and the parts can be picked up at any carrier/bryant Totaline location by any real hvac contractor so you are covered .

So go with the contractor you feel will do a great job installing it and will be there if an issue does arise..

If the Payne unit has 'X' in the middle of the serial number then yes it is made in Mexico. Serial number format is as follows: 1234X12345. The first 4 digits tell you the week and year of manufacture. Ex: 2308X12345 manufactured 23rd week of 2008 in Mexico. Both Payne AND Tempstar have 10 year warranties going now. Be sure to register the unit on the website within 90 days of installation. I think you'd be happy with either unit so long as it is sized and installed properly.

Tempstar ( made by ICP) is made in Collierville TN with some stuff still coming out of Indianapolis. ICP was bought by Carrier. The Payne is equal to a base model Carrier unit in my opinion. As far as ICP goes, I would only go with a Tempstar or Heil unit. The Comfortmaker/Keeprite/Arcoair lines made by ICP leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion. Carrier and Payne use different distributors than ICP. Both have a great network of warehouses, so I don't think you need to worry about availability of replacement parts.

Payne can be sold to anyone with a license. Not sure about ICP. I know with Carrier/Bryant you generally need to be an authorized dealer to get equipment from them.

ICP serial numbers start with 1 letter and have 9 numbers. Ex: E082312345. The letter tells you where it is made, if I am not mistaken. Same goes for Carrier/Bryant/Payne. I have listed the letters below. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of these!

E=Collierville
    A= Indy
    X=Mexico
    V= Tyler
    B=Charlotte

also

I believe all the heat strips and evaporator coils for both Carrier corp and ICP are made in Mexico. Payne condensing sections are made in mexico. Tempstar in Collierville. Air handlers and furnaces in Indy, Package units in Tyler, Tx. I know this because i used to work for Carrier Corp.
    If you can, go with the Baldone's suggestion T4H4.

On the serial numbers, I think the V means outside vendor. Had one today on an old Ducane made horizontal and boilers made by Dunkirk also have a V.

So packaged units in Tyler, what do they make in Charlotte?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast