+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commercial Cooking, should we......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Lightbulb

.....ask for a new Forum Topic for Appliances and Cooking Equpiment? Are there enough of us that are Hot/Cold side that would take advantage of this?

A very large chunk of my business is Commercial Cooking. I think I would like to see it happen.

Any one else?

Post Likes
    I fell into doing bakery equipment work. My ex was a baker at a grocery store bakery. Their oven died and they couldn't get a commercial equipment guy out of Denver for 2 days. The ex suggested to her boss that I might be able to fix it.

Just a commercial burner like on a small boiler...Honeywell R4795 hi-lo fire combustion damper linkage.

A Bakery Proof Box is just a walk-in lookin box with a humidifier and an electric heater and fan that makes a warm humid place for bread dough to raise.

They had been payin 3-4 hours traveltime for techs out of Denver. wasn't long...before was doing all the grocery store bakeries stuff in town (6 stores). Beat freezin my bells off on the roof. Extra revenue source....you guys in small towns should go for it.

I like Lusker's idea...I'm out of it now, but it could help some of the member's business grow.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    Certianly cooking equipment is more up our alley than is plumbing. The broad category of our industry is HEAT transfer. Cooking equipment is the controlling of heat. You can trace the trail of energy. This equipment is rated in BTU's.

A toilet on the other hand has pipes going to it. There the similarity to our trade stops. A toilet is transfering something but I for one don't want to get into it.

Being an old timer I have seen a transition over the years. In the OLDEN days when big restuarants (chains) started to come on the scene a kitchen equipment contractor was hired to design and supply the kitchen needs. The kitchen contractor would sub out to a refrigeration contractor to hook up the walkins and any remote equipment.

Now the kitchen contractor has precharged tubing that any monkey can unroll. Everything else is self contained. There is no concern about warranty. So a company like ours had to find some other source of revenue. Fortunately around here the need or interest in air conditioning rose up.

So now everyone can buy their air conditioning equipment on the internet. Our State is forcing us to get propane licenses. Who knows I may have to start Popin' Fresh Oven Service in a few years.

[Edited by benncool on 01-15-2005 at 09:35 AM]

Post Likes
    I offer factory warranty service on Easy Bakes.

Post Likes
    And, Benny?

I think toilets are extremely important to our trade.

Where else would we go to solve the tough problems?

Post Likes
    Or read the I & O' s.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    Isn't that how you a/c guys get rid of brain farts???????
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    Isn't a plumber just an HVAC guy with half his brains knocked out?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvac student_4063
    Don't forget they typically have more buttox crack

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvac student_4063
    You're funny. I used to make fun of plumbers, too.

How'd YOU like to have their job? Think you could handle service plumbing?

OK, Happy, Rich?

Post Likes
    Relax, I'm just kidding.

I've done enough plumbing to know that you should be VERY nice to the guy that likes to run the drain machine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in