Thread: Rheem Wont' Stay Lit ----HELP

Post Likes

Frown

Ok, I know i probably should read some post before I ask my question in case of redundancy; but I have no heat, it's 11 O'late, the temp is in the 20's, and the wind is blowing 20+mph...
    I went to the attic and watched the furnace sort of wind up. the Igniters started to glow and then I heard the gas kick on for like 2 sec. Then Pop. The gas goes off and the blower quits. We have a small second unit for the kids play room upstairs (where we are huddled for the night I think). Its on the same gas pipe and is working fine. Is there anything I can do tonight to fix this? If not, what should I tell the service guy in the morning?

BTY- Our unit is 13 months old. New House. Should have opted for the extended warranty huh... Figures..

Cheers,
    Big JeepXJ

Post Likes
    Sounds familiar, a buddy of mine had the same problems a couple of days ago. My post was under somthing like "short ignition" anyways, it's probably not somthing to where you can just go flip a switch or something. I'd say call a pro. Good luck!

Post Likes
    Sorry, guess I didn't read all of your post. I would tell them exactly what you wrote here. That will give them a good idea where to start. Possible gas valve problem or limit. Being that new I would still call the original installer and see if they could give you any kind of break, it being so new. Couldn't hurt.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Thanks.
    I just saw the short ignition post too.
    I guess we'll have plenty "quality time" tonight. I'll give the builder a call and see what they can do. I'll post and tell what happened.

Cheers,
    Big JeepXJ

Post Likes
    reem wont work if the polarity of the hi voltage wires arn't
    correct.

Post Likes
    Stimp speaks soothe

Rheems Criterion furnaces cycle the flame off after 2secs if it fails to detect flame. Your flame sensor is bad and/or as Stimp said the transformer is not polarized properly. Whereas if it were running once with no work done to it, it's most likely the flame sensor and not the polarity.

Also the burner assembly needs to be firmly in contact with the unit chassis as the burner is the ground path for the flame sensor. Sometimes the screws get loose and rusty.

Post Likes
    Don't start condemning and replacing parts. Look at the symptoms and narrow this problem down. A call for heat is initiated and the furnace begins the cycle. Everything is fine until time to sense and prove flame. The unit drops out. Attic installation and the unit was probably operated while the house was under construction. Unit worked okay last heating season. Maybe all it needs is the flame senser cleaned. Have the technician try that first.

Post Likes
    that unit should still be under warranty (parts).
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    [i]Originally posted by big jeepxj
    (I went to the attic and watched the furnace sort of wind up. the Igniters started to glow and then I heard the gas kick on for like 2 sec. Then Pop. The gas goes off and the blower quits.
    Cheers,
    Big JeepXJ)

(Rheems Criterion furnaces cycle the flame off after 2secs if it fails to detect flame. Your flame sensor is bad and/or as Stimp said the transformer is not polarized properly. Whereas if it were running once with no work done to it, it's most likely the flame sensor and not the polarity.

Also the burner assembly needs to be firmly in contact with the unit chassis as the burner is the ground path for the flame sensor. Sometimes the screws get loose and rusty.) [/B]
    I have had the same problem and what I do is clean the flame sensor and it is fine for about 4 months or so. I have done this for about 2 years. I was wondering if anybody would know if there is a underlying problem that I am not finding that is causing this.
    thank you for time
    Pat

Post Likes
    Problem could be condensation in line from fan housing to vacume switch, vacume switch very sensitive.
    Proves inducer fan operating.

Post Likes
    Hey Kpheat....
    Unit must be grounded properly to have flame rectification if you need to clean every 4 months try a new sensor. They are not that costly and maybe you just have a weak or very sensitive one. Thats what I would do anyways.

Post Likes
    No that furnace doesnt look for a solid flame signal for 7 or 8 seconds after the gas valve opens, if its shutting down in 2, odds are the pressure switch is opening. Its not a gas valve or limit switch. If there is a small window in the blower door, count the flashes and report back.

Now find out why.

Could be overfired, could be a venting issue. Could be a weak inducer or inducer capacitor. Im not so sure about moisture since it will recycle. Moisture in the PS line would hold the PS in one position or the other.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    No that furnace doesnt look for a solid flame signal for 7 or 8 seconds after the gas valve opens, if its shutting down in 2, odds are the pressure switch is opening. Its not a gas valve or limit switch. If there is a small window in the blower door, count the flashes and report back.

Now find out why.

Could be overfired, could be a venting issue. Could be a weak inducer or inducer capacitor. Im not so sure about moisture since it will recycle. Moisture in the PS line would hold the PS in one position or the other.
    Is the inducer capacitor on the board ?

Post Likes
    No, he didnt give a model number so I cant even verify if there is one or not. I'm just throwing out things to check rather than letting him be misled by the flame shutting off.

Im sure a service tech has been there by now, and she will post the news shortly

Post Likes
    Originally posted by madmike
    Hey Kpheat....
    Unit must be grounded properly to have flame rectification if you need to clean every 4 months try a new sensor. They are not that costly and maybe you just have a weak or very sensitive one. Thats what I would do anyways.
    madmike

I checked the ground (traced + took connections apart everything looks okay) and put a new flame sensor in and it works okay. We'll see in about 4 months.

thanks

Pat

Post Likes
    Just curious, but what would the failure mode be of a flame sensor that requires replacment? (outside of course dirty or broken).

It is merely a peice of metal with a ceramic insulator, no magic there. If replacing it works, if it wasnt damaged, then it was a poor connection or placement.

Post Likes
    the OP is over a month old. i hope he's straightened it out by now.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in