Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tell me about your "underdog" system. What would you build?

I've been saving for a system, and was told today during my bi-annual inspection that the thought of replacement should start crossing my mind.

Assume that money isn't the limit.

I want a system that shouldn't work as well as it does, a system that competes with the high end systems, but costs less. A system that needs a knowledgeable installer to get the most out of the equipment. If the infinity is the best, then fine, but that isn't any fun. Strut your stuff, and be creative.

I'm in northern AL, assume a 4 ton unit, hybrid system, good year round humidity control, no dry skin in the winter. Please include a short blurb about why you chose what you chose.

I think this will be an informative thread with great potential. Please take this seriously.

Caveat: OK, My pro membership is because I design AC systems for airplanes , I have never done a 'for hire' residential install .

6 Years ago when I first came onboard here and asked a similar question, Robin (Robotek) assured me that Goodman was not the junk as many others said at the time, so I bought and installed a goodman (lowest price for me not being an authorized dealer at any of the majors) at both son and mom's house, no complaints, both have functined perfectly since then.

That said, the goodman sheet metal did need some beefing up, so if your installer is competent, that person can do that -- e.g the air handler for the son's house install needed a reinforcement bar down the middle, just a piece of emt across the middle.

Think just about every pro here would say it is the competence of the installer these days vs. the brand name.....any disagreements??

Goodman is my brand of choice to install. Probably the best warranty out there. Easy to service, best bang for your buck.

OK, but which model pump, air handler, furnace, computer system, humidifier if you chose one???? and why, why, why???

This WILL NOT be a self install on my part. It will help me to ask installers questions.

Like I said before, be creative. No bashing peoples ideas in this thread either. Create your system, and support why you chose the pieces you chose.

Thanks for a good start guys

York 2 stage heat pump with Mod furnace. Honeywell envirozone zoning pane(need third part dual fuel control), with the duct system set up for 3 to 4 zones.

Either an Aprilaire bypass humidifier, or a EWC Autoflow steam humidifier(Because they actually put moisture in the air).
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I wish I had natural gas. If I did, I would incorporate a hot water coil into my duct system. This would not come with the air handler but be external to it. I would then take a serious look at the new on demand hot water units with the capability to heat this coil. They no classify them them as on-demand boilers. I would also have a heat pump.
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    I wish I had natural gas. If I did, I would incorporate a hot water coil into my duct system. This would not come with the air handler but be external to it. I would then take a serious look at the new on demand hot water units with the capability to heat this coil. They no classify them them as on-demand boilers. I would also have a heat pump.
    That's a neat idea. Combine it with a hot water return reservoir, and the tankless water heater would probably not need to heat very much. I winder how hot a water fed coil needs to be in order to sufficiently heat the incoming air. Run the water line through the ductwork like a spring.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Caveat: OK, My pro membership is because I design AC systems for airplanes , I have never done a 'for hire' residential install .

6 Years ago when I first came onboard here and asked a similar question, Robin (Robotek) assured me that Goodman was not the junk as many others said at the time, so I bought and installed a goodman (lowest price for me not being an authorized dealer at any of the majors) at both son and mom's house, no complaints, both have functined perfectly since then.

That said, the goodman sheet metal did need some beefing up, so if your installer is competent, that person can do that -- e.g the air handler for the son's house install needed a reinforcement bar down the middle, just a piece of emt across the middle.

Think just about every pro here would say it is the competence of the installer these days vs. the brand name.....any disagreements??

Yep, wouldn't install gooman, Infinty is tops,no competition ,when you add zoning. Hearing that the next generation will really separate them from the competition,if there is any.

zoned or unzoned???
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

no zoning

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The dehumidifierguy will be along soon,dehumidifier,with a cheaper A/c is the best,maybe an "underdog".

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    The dehumidifierguy will be along soon,dehumidifier,with a cheaper A/c is the best,maybe an "underdog".
    LOL!!!! Maybe an "underbear" to be more specific!!

The theme from the dehumidifier pro (TB for Teddy Bear) is consistent: that for the spring/fall periods of wet weather with no AC calls, you need a dehu for lowering home humidity. I am a homeowner who has one of his brands, it really is a fine piece of machinery. But ever since my AC pro diagnosed an iffy install of the TXV, the AC itself has been admirable about lowering humidity. I live in S.Texas where there is lots of summer and most of those with 75F dew point. We do NOT seem to have much of that weather with much outdoor humidity yet no AC calls, even in the spring and fall such days are very transitory and we seldom if ever have a full week of that.

While I am glad to have a dehumidifier, it is most important to have a completely well tuned AC, and certainly I would choose the latter if there was a budget.

As I see it, a very important question is where you live. Do you have the kind of weather TB refers to?

Best of luck -- Pstu

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast