Thread: Honeywell IAQ w/ Arzel HeatpumpPro

Post Likes

Honeywell IAQ w/ Arzel HeatpumpPro

Hello,

I recently installed a new HVAC system: Amana ASZC18 Heat Pump (and matching coil), MBVC air handler, and 20kW heat pack. I also upgraded my old ARZEL 2-zone system to a newer HeatPumPro 4-zone system, with a Honeywell IAQ thermostat.

In hindsight the IAQ may have been overkill, but I had it in my last house and really liked some of the integrated controls like humidity and stuff. I also have a large first floor (zone 1) so I installed a remote temp sensor to average temps along the first floor area.

So here is my question. I'm not sure how best to configure the IAQ to work with the HeatPumpPro. The Arzel board stages heat and cool based on leaving air temperautre (LAT), so in heat mode there are two stages on the heat pump and two stages of resistance heat. The arzel board will do this independent of the IAQ call for heat, but can also be driven by the IAQ to call for additional heat too.

So does anyone have experience with what IAQ setting work well with the Arzel board? Should I tell the IAQ there is an external fossil fule kit? It's not really a fossil kit, but the pricipal seams similar.

Also would you set 176 (number of heat stages) to four?

Thanks!

Post Likes

Post Equipment Numbers

Not sure it matters much, but here are the model numbers of the equipment installed:

Amana ASZC 18048 4 ton heat pump
    Amana MBVC2000 air handler
    Amana CAPF4961 coil unit
    Amana 20 kW Heat Kit

Arzel HeatPumPro 4-zone unit.

Post Likes

if your going dual fuel, you should make sure you have a zone controller that caters to dual fuel

because the other stats signals may cause a control problem if the zone controller does not know it's dual fuel

Post Likes
    I had some time to look the IAQ diagram over and simulate the inputs on the HPP Board
    My recommendation;
    From the IQA stat - (R, C), Y, G, O/B, Aux, H
    To HPP Zone 1 input - R, C, Y1, G, O, W&E, H

Set Installer set up;
    ISU 174 @ 1 stg
    ISU 176 @ 1 stg

Zone 1 will initiate "Emerg Ht Mode" with a W/E call (once it calls for heat while in the EH mode.

jcr
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Post Likes

Thanks

Thanks jcr,

This seems to jive with what ARZEL recommends, which is to let ARZEL board to all staging and set the IAQ to single stage. They said it is possible for conflicts between the two if both are trying to manage the stages.

You also hit on an important question about emergency heat. My current setup treats Em. Heat as a normal call for heat. I had a bad TXV, so was trying to only run Em. Heat until repaired and ARZEL didn't recognize the call. ARZEL says I may be able to use the "L" terminal on IAQ with the "E" terminal on ARZEL board, however this caused an #40 error on the stat.

I will try changing to single stage settings on the IAQ and see if this makes a difference in the controls.

Thanks Again!

Post Likes

is your zone controller setup for dual fuel?

in other words does it have dual fuel options, if not you may have a control problem even if you use the IAQ as the DF controller

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    is your zone controller setup for dual fuel?

in other words does it have dual fuel options, if not you may have a control problem even if you use the IAQ as the DF controller
    His HPP Zone panel is designed for Dual/Fuel and will engage FF if the ODT drops below the Balance Point setting or if the discharge Temp (LAT) does not exceed the set "Heat Stage Threshold" in the HPP panel.

jcr
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jramunni View Post
    His HPP Zone panel is designed for Dual/Fuel
    10-4 thankyou

Post Likes

Question One More Clarification

Hi,

Just to be clear. I do not have any FF heat. I only have the equipment described in the original post (HP & resistance heat).

The only reason I experimented with telling IAQ I had an external FF kit was to allow the HPP board to manage all the staging, balance points, etc.

It seems to be working okay, I think. On a mild day, I'm only running stage one heat and stage one blower, which is what I'm after.

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense. Basically I'm trying to adapt the IAQ to play along with the HPP board. I like the IAQ stat; but it has a lot of different options for set up. My two main concerns are staging of the heating and whether it is possible to manually engage emergency heat from the IAQ stat (i.e. compressor does not run). I admit the emergency heat option is a low priority because I've only needed to do this when my TXV failed. Plus I can always kill the power to the compressor and eventually the HPP will activate the heat strips. But it would be nice to control things from the stat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derailer View Post
    Thanks jcr,

This seems to jive with what ARZEL recommends, which is to let ARZEL board to all staging and set the IAQ to single stage. They said it is possible for conflicts between the two if both are trying to manage the stages.

Thats because he is Arzel. Or at least the VP of technical for Arzel.

Post Likes

Hmm One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Quote Originally Posted by jramunni View Post
    I had some time to look the IAQ diagram over and simulate the inputs on the HPP Board
    My recommendation;
    From the IQA stat - (R, C), Y, G, O/B, Aux, H
    To HPP Zone 1 input - R, C, Y1, G, O, W&E, H

Set Installer set up;
    ISU 174 @ 1 stg
    ISU 176 @ 1 stg

Zone 1 will initiate "Emerg Ht Mode" with a W/E call (once it calls for heat while in the EH mode.

jcr
    Hi Joe,

I probably spoke to you on the phone Friday about my system. (thanks Beenthere!).

I was hoping it was more of a tuning issue with the IAQ set up. Apparently there may be a wiring issue too.

What confounds me is my system was wired based on the diagram provided on the Arzel website and is different than your notes above. I guess I can contact my installer and have them check out your wiring recommendations.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Post Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Derailer View Post
    What confounds me is my system was wired based on the diagram provided on the Arzel website and is different than your notes above. I guess I can contact my installer and have them check out your wiring recommendations.
    I did talk with you on Friday...There are so many wiring variables that we only show a few basics scenarios on the web-site. Please have them call with any questions (800-611-8312)

jcr

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in