Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dash,
    My Honeywell 20x25x5" Fc100 filter has been in place since 6/18/04 when the system was installed. It does have dirt on it but I am not sure if it needs to be replaced?? They told me 1 yr on these filters?

I agree with you about getting it fixed now. I have the service manager coming to my house on Thurs to see the install. I just want to get as much info from you guys so I can make better suggestions

I am problably missing something but I was thinking why not replace the 6" flex with 8" flex that should increase air flow to the upstairs and reduce ESP?

I wish you guys were local then this would have never happened. If you ever decide to move to Southern CA I think you could make millions!!

Titan,
    Most honeywell filters that I see and similar 4-5inch filters last 3-6months not a yr...
    So I would say that your over 6months and that might be all you will get out of that honeywell...

I take it they have turned off your filter warning on your infinity controler because of the filter warning kept going off..

Good luck
    J

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by titan7
    Dash,
    My Honeywell 20x25x5" Fc100 filter has been in place since 6/18/04 when the system was installed. It does have dirt on it but I am not sure if it needs to be replaced?? They told me 1 yr on these filters?

I agree with you about getting it fixed now. I have the service manager coming to my house on Thurs to see the install. I just want to get as much info from you guys so I can make better suggestions

I am problably missing something but I was thinking why not replace the 6" flex with 8" flex that should increase air flow to the upstairs and reduce ESP?

I wish you guys were local then this would have never happened. If you ever decide to move to Southern CA I think you could make millions!!

Actually you may need to do both,how many six an four inch runs do you have?

Each 6" may be able to handle 110 to 120 cfms,I'm thinking it's 4 upstairs and three down .So 7X120 is 840,plus 50 each for the 4" runs is 940,plus the the 9" run at 220(Plugged)is only 1160.Still kinda "Ify".
    A lot depends on the size and type of grilles,the actual length of the flex runs,etc. etc.

Is he going to test the Static when he comes out(supply and return,separately)???If so testing it at several places in the "trunkline" can be very helpful in designing a cure.

Oh,I'd have him bring a new filter,and test with it as well as the existing one to compare.

Actually you may need to do both,how many six an four inch runs do you have?

Upstairs: = 7 ducts with grills above the doors. Longest run from the 14" to the guest room is 15 feet.

I have what looks to be 6" R6 going to all four bedrooms (actually 2) in the master, they did add another duct in the ceiling of the master bedroom.
    Total of five in the bedrooms all with 12x8" OD grills.
    there is two bathrooms with 12x6" grills.

Down stairs: = 4 ducts.

Familyroom has the 9" duct off the plentum which turns into a 14x10 grill.

Living room: has a 14x10" grill that is fed from the upstair run via the attic down the stairwell.

Kitchen and Dinning room have the same duct run but there is a 12x8" grill on each side of the drywall(I think there is a "T" that feed both side they are in the same wall facing opposite directions, one to the kitchen one to the dinning room.

The runs to the kitchen/Dinning room must be at least 25 feet from the 14" suppy in the attic. 20 feet for the livingroom supply.

All the Grills are the high flow grills.

Is he going to test the Static when he comes out(supply and return,separately)???If so testing it at several places in the "trunkline" can be very helpful in designing a cure.

I will ask him to do this.

Oh,I'd have him bring a new filter,and test with it as well.

Will Do!

Guys I really do appreciate your time and effort on this, I know this is your sparetime and not your problem. I just want you to know my wife and I thank you for the very helpful suggestions you have provided. If you come up with anything else let me know, I will discuss all of this with the service manager later this week.

For any HOs reading this DEMAND a Manual J & D before you go with any bid. I thought I did my homework and, well, you can see what happened to me with the "rule of thumb" installation, however they did the Man J, not sure what happen? Actually I have it in my paperwork. Is there anything that would help you?

Thanks!

titan7,

If they did a Man.J,"room by room",the btus needed to heat and cool each room,are required to determine what size branch run and grille is needed for each room.

Often a "whole hose" Man. J is used,this won't help for duct sizes,just needed to get the correct equipment size.Might want to post the btus needed,just to see how it compares to equip. selected.

Fixed, well sort of...

Installer were back today, they ran a new t-stat wire, went well except for the 1"x2" hole in the family room wall while they were drilling.

As for the Return, They decided that we would first try opening the return area by making the return area wider added about 6"x12" of return area and butted up 2 24"x14" bar return grills side by side to cover the area, the old grill was a stamped 36"x13".

Current reading are:

Low heat ESP is .22 @ 825 CFM
    Low heat ESP is .43 @ 1069 CFM

Low cool ESP is .23 @ 883 CFM
    High cool ESP is .61-.62 @ 1450 CFM

Are these ok? If not the next option is tearing all of the equip off the platform and raising it 5-6" to open up the return. That's ALOT of work.

I should note that I took the media filter out and left the door open while the system was running, that dropped ESP on High Cool to .52.

I'd say it's acceptable.Lower is always better down to say .4,but not always attainable without major surgery.

In our arae,we would be satisfied with what you have,and find the systems work fine at that static.

Thanks to all who helped me!

Post Nick Hooper... :-)

Originally posted by titan7
    I think my installer is lost on this one, See the thread below on Dumb Carrier 58cvx question and/or my posts from the summer when my Infinity system was installed. I think at this point I am going to have to pay to get a 2nd opinion from somebody who REALLY understands ductwork. Can anybody give me a referral in the Southern CA area (Orange County). This has just gone out of control. I don't know what else I could have done as a HO to avoid this, but at this point I am not going to have someone continue to guess.

thanks!

You'll want to call Nick Hooper of SOL Mechanical, Nick is formely from California Economizer and knows what he's doing.... You won't find anyone any better...

(949) 463-1415

Tell him Mel of AllTemp referred you, thanks...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Thanks Mel!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123