I put in an AprilAire 600 last week and now I'm trying to get the right humidity level.

I live in Ottawa, Canada which has high temperature fluctuations. The humidifier was installed on the return air plenum and the probe was installed outside in an area not affected by direct sunlight.

I'm trying to judge how to set the correct humidity level. I started off at level 5 and had a fair amount of condensation on my windows in the mornings. So, I took it down a level.

Now, I have some tiny corners of condensation on my uncovered windows and a bit more condensation on the windows that I have that are covered with shutters. When I open the shutters in the morning there is condensation that disappears within an hour or so. (I assume that is because the air next to the windows gets cold when the shutters are closed).

What exactly should I be trying to achieve?

Are corners of condensation OK? Do I want absolutely no condensation? What about condensation on windows that are closed off with shutters?

If this were your home what would you be aiming for?

I would like to see no moisture on the windows, so I would set it down a bit more. If you have single pane windows, I would recommend upgrading them. Of course that is easy for me to say since I do not have to pay for them.

If you have a new home I am very surprised you need a humidifier.

How is your home ventilated?

What kind of windows do you have. Double pane? Argon? low e? what are the frames made of?.

Shutters and curtains keep the warmer air out. The inside surface of the windows gets cooler, and you get more condensation.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

The 600 has the auto trac system and should regulate with reguard to od air temp. Did you use manual mode or auto mode?

Thanks for the information.

It's a 3 year old home. All windows are double glazed, mostly casement style with vinyl frames. The house is airtight and I don't have an HRV or anything.

The air in the house is dry however (which is fairly common here, especially when temperatures stay down around -20C or so). Have had a lot of problem with static, which is related to dry air. Several family members, including myself, have dry skin conditions that are worse in winter. So we put in the humidifier to help.

My 600 is set in auto mode. But the installer and the instruction manual both said that I needed to find the right initial humidity level by watching the windows for condensation. Once I find the proper setting the temperature probe will then track the humidity levels up and down. I'm trying to find the right start level.

Any other guidelines you can offer would be warmly appreciated. Thanks for everything so far.

I set mine to where there is just slight condensate tips in corner of window. Only time there is more is when there has been drastic change in temp outside and the controler hasn't had enough time to compensate.

THANKS!

Just the information I was looking for.

What about the condensation behind the shutters in the mornings. Is that anything to worry about?

Take into account that up until you put the humidifier in, everything in the house was pretty dry. (carpet, woodwork, furniture,etc.) Might want to give it time to catch up. All of these things are acting like a sponge.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

So how long should I wait for my home to adjust to the extra moisture before I start obsessing about condensation on my windows?

so, get a humidity gauge from a reptile store ~$10.

kkeep RH% 35- 50% for best health, <60% for minimum mold growth.

a great antistatic spray is half water, half liquid Downy, esp on tile floors

[Edited by cem-bsee on 01-13-2005 at 05:13 PM]

Thanks again!

You guys are great.

I concur, you need to get a humidy gauge and put it next to the aprilaire.

I'm a bit south of you but still in the cold. Last week we had highs in the -20's F and lows in the - 30's F. Typically I set my house to about 35% when the temps are in the -10 to +15 range. When it gets colder like in the -20's I'll let the house go down into the high 20%'s on humidity.

Even with the best windows Anderson has to offer I'll get condensation on the inside at -25 F. Worse if the shades are drawn or if the windows are in an area that is colder, like in a vaulted entry as cold air holds less moisture.

But at normal temps like -10 F my windows are clear.

When its warm and humid outside and 72 with 41RH inside is condensation normal on the outside of double pane low E argon filled windows? NO condensation inside.