Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad ceiling fan advice

Why does every Tom, Dick and Harry HO think they can give advice on proper ceiling fan usage? This guy is not addressing any of the diverse applications for ceiling fans and his advice is just wrong for any application; http://www.youtube.com/v/uhLN8Tnsw48?version=3"><param
    Last edited by RoBoTeq; 11-16-2010 at 06:13 PM.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I think he has it backwards.

Using a fan to trick someone into comfort adds to your electric bill, especially if you have one in every room.

ceiling fans look better than box fans are all I have to say. motor can add heat (althought minimal) to space. If ceiling is not well insulated, will induce heat into air, etc, etc, . If you want it for looks buy it would be my advice.
    Every problem gives us the opportunity to choose from several solutions: stupidity, ignorance, indifference, or brilliance. Which one will you choose?

Wow, at first I thought you were talking about the guy that told you that you could stop a ceiling fan with your tongue ... I was almost sure you were not that dumb ... turns out I was right ...

So please expound on the virtues’ of the lowly ceiling fan.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I think he has it backwards.

Using a fan to trick someone into comfort adds to your electric bill, especially if you have one in every room.
    Ceiling fans can increase comfort and save energy if they are used properly.

If you have a standard 8'+- flat ceiling, a fan blowing down in the summer can make you feel cooler by stirring the air so that it evaporates the moisture from your skin, making it feel cooler. In this way, you can have a higher temperature setting for your cooling system and save money.

That same ceiling configuration can help on heating by having the fan....very slowly (very slow is the key to all heating applications) blowing the air up toward the ceiling, the warmer air at the ceiling will push out to the walls and curtain down to the floor. This keeps stratification of air from letting the floor become cool.

If you have a higher or vaulted ceiling where warm air can stratify above the ceiling fan, then it is better in most cases to have the fan very slowly push the warmer air down into the room. In this case, the fan should also blow down for cooling as well. It can be run at a higher speed for comfortable cooling.

There are always variations that may work best for specific types of rooms, but these are the general ways a ceiling fan can best help save energy by creating a more comfortable air circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith73 View Post
    ceiling fans look better than box fans are all I have to say. motor can add heat (althought minimal) to space. If ceiling is not well insulated, will induce heat into air, etc, etc, . If you want it for looks buy it would be my advice.
    All good points. My wife is a fanatic about ceiling fans. She just likes having air blowing on her all the time. I can't stand having the fan over our bed running when we sleep so I wait for her to go to sleep and turn it off.

However, in our family room where we are most of the time, we have a vaulted ceiling with two fans and a wood stove. I keep one fan blowing up slowly and the other one blowing down slowly (on the wife). In this way, we keep the heat from the wood stove circulating which allows it to dissipate through the rest of the house as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    All good points. My wife is a fanatic about ceiling fans. She just likes having air blowing on her all the time. I can't stand having the fan over our bed running when we sleep so I wait for her to go to sleep and turn it off.

However, in our family room where we are most of the time, we have a vaulted ceiling with two fans and a wood stove. I keep one fan blowing up slowly and the other one blowing down slowly (on the wife). In this way, we keep the heat from the wood stove circulating which allows it to dissipate through the rest of the house as well.

Maybe she turns it on to drown out your snoring?

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Maybe she turns it on to drown out your snoring?
    If that fan could drown out my snoring, it'd have to be more like a jet engine.

How about an old fan from a circa '89 Goodman??? . That oughtta do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    How about an old fan from a circa '89 Goodman??? . That oughtta do it!!!
    Nope. That would be soothing white noise in comparison.

I swear ROBO, were in the same boat. No matter what the room temp is, my wife has to have the ceiling fan on. Directly over me while sleeping.

I sware if I turn it off, it has a lightest click sound known to the human ear..and she wakes up "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" lmao

Not only has it on, but sometimes i wake up and feel like im underneath a friggin Blackhawk!!!!

I can be bald and still feel my hair blowing into the pillow!!!!

i told her i wanna change the room around, she thinks its for looks...but she has NO IDEA!
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Up down just depends like Robo observed. It's the mixing effect that really makes the difference by eliminating the stratified layers. As far as the Duffus in the video, I kept hoping he would stick his hand in the fan blades, now that would have made the video a lot more entertaining.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Maybe there's another need for air circulation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast