Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the original post is from 2005. this guy might be retired by now

anyhow the "im in school and should i do controls" posts always get under my skin. choosing controls is not like picking fries with your burger. "doing controls" should be what an accomplished hvac tech or hvac engineer evolves too after paying their dues and spending time in the trenches learning this complex trade.

give me a break and learn some basic building science before you think you can do what i do for a living. talk to me after 20 years in the buisness and maybe i can re-train you. its doubtful but possible.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

I want to know how I stop doing controls? It's like Groundhog Day, wake-up , do controls , go to bed , wake-up , fix yesterdays screw-ups (both mine and the installers) , got to bed , repeat............................................ ........

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    the original post is from 2005. this guy might be retired by now

anyhow the "im in school and should i do controls" posts always get under my skin. choosing controls is not like picking fries with your burger. "doing controls" should be what an accomplished hvac tech or hvac engineer evolves too after paying their dues and spending time in the trenches learning this complex trade.

give me a break and learn some basic building science before you think you can do what i do for a living. talk to me after 20 years in the buisness and maybe i can re-train you. its doubtful but possible.
    I've been wanting to say this same thing everytime I see this once-a-month question (it seems that often anyways), but I didn't want to get sent to the corner.

I did T&B for a looooong time before I felt like I had a pretty good grip on what was happening in the whole picture. Doing T&B is where I think alot of guys need to start. It gets to be monotonous as hell, but It will definitely help you see and understand how most everything works.

Alot of guys think all we do is walk around with laptops and "download devices"-WRONG. That is just one of the many various things we do. We are usually the ones after the dust settles make it actually work.

Not trying to be an a-hole, but you will probably be so far in over your head with out any real world experience you would probably be regretting it.

Be an installer for a while and see if it's even something you like first before you waste your time and money.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

I'd take a green newbie with character over an experienced know it all who just hates life anyday... There is not anything in our industry that can't be taught, but you can't teach character.

Quote Originally Posted by WebCTRL View Post
    I'd take a green newbie with character over an experienced know it all who just hates life anyday... There is not anything in our industry that can't be taught, but you can't teach character.

Very true. The correct attitude means everything.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

start in controls ... first get a lobotomy to cut off everything you think you already know.

- Thermodynamics fundamentals
    - Electronics fundamentals
    - Electrical Eng fundamentals
    - Digital fundamentals
    - Drafting and graphics skills ... no, what you know now IS NOT enough
    - psychology
    - diplomacy
    - sharpen the bull-crap cutter
    - iron-plate to cover arse
    - asbestos suit for meetings
    - stay up all night again and again until YOU have the answers because the rest of the industry dont really know jack about controls
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

The correct attitude means everything That goes for the TRAINER as well as the TRAINEE

Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    I want to know how I stop doing controls? It's like Groundhog Day, wake-up , do controls , go to bed , wake-up , fix yesterdays screw-ups (both mine and the installers) , got to bed , repeat............................................ ........

kontrol out
    This made me laugh..

Quote Originally Posted by WebCTRL View Post
    ... you can't teach character.
    ...certainly plenty of 'characters' in this industry that's for sure
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12