Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trane: my apologies. my observations in regard to this and other threads and not necessrily directed to the author, but hopefully are made for the benefit of all. I would hope that anyone that does sell, service, or install these unis would digest the comments made here by all contributors.

when the pilot light went out, unburned gas filled the house. therefore the carbon monoxide detector detected it.

Do they make a special CO detector that detects combustible gas? I have never seen one. CO is not present in unburned fuel.

That unit had problems or was very old. If pilot goes out gas valve shuts of in a couple of seconds, unless gas valve as bad. Usually this is due to valve getting wet. Very few standing pilot gas valves fail in the open position. A rareity indeed.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

if youd like to read the article i read in the paper i'll send it to you.or i could put you in touch with the family it happened to.either way, the family is very lucky whether or not their smoke detector worked like it was supposed to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12