Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Printer
    I just plain give up. There is no way I can see how to communicate with you. Anyway, do you realize that every person living in a dwelling anywhere where citizens are allowed to own real estate are paying off or have paid off a mortgage even if they are renting?

Anyway ....onward and upward we go!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Printer
    I just plain give up. There is no way I can see how to communicate with you. Anyway, do you realize that every person living in a dwelling anywhere where citizens are allowed to own real estate are paying off or have paid off a mortgage even if they are renting?

Anyway ....onward and upward we go!
    Yes but the ones renting should not be subsidizing others (Well maybe the ones they are renting from but that is part of the agreement.)

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Yes but the ones renting should not be subsidizing others (Well maybe the ones they are renting from but that is part of the agreement.)
    OK. I'm getting the picture here.

You think things such as mortgage deductions down south are subsidizing others which is taking away from them and that is a bad thing.

And I see that incentives for people who want to work harder and smarter are a good thing.

Ironically, I'm betting you work under a system that will give some of your fellow employees credits or money for training or assist them in taking courses on and off the job with such things as tuition help in total or to a degree.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

OK. I'm getting the picture here.

You think things such as mortgage deductions down south are subsidizing others which is taking away from them and that is a bad thing.

And I see that incentives for people who want to work harder and smarter are a good thing.

Ironically, I'm betting you work under a system that will give some of your fellow employees credits or money for training or assist them in taking courses on and off the job with such things as tuition help in total or to a degree.
    We do have options to take courses which the union pays for paid through our union dues. Any member can apply for being sponsored for a course. Our government also subsidies our teaching institutions which in turn helps our citizens better themselves and the country grows from the investment.

I do not see these in the same light as your mortgage deduction as there is no gain to society but only to those that are wealthy enough (as in having enough cash flow and a secure job as to give confidence that they may pay back the funds) to be able to acquire a house. The larger the purchase price of the house the more money that is removed from the government coffers which in turn has to be made up by someone else's contribution.

People will buy houses to live in and an identical home ownership rate in Canada shows that a government subsidy is not needed to promote home ownership. Let's face it, this is just another program that politicians threw to their voting public as a bribe for their vote. And over time it has become enshrined as a right to those that want to be homeowners. But that does not change the fact that it reduces your taxes and someone else has to make up for it. And that is not fair.

Why do Americans need incentive but Canadians do not?

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    We do have options to take courses which the union pays for paid through our union dues. Any member can apply for being sponsored for a course. Our government also subsidies our teaching institutions which in turn helps our citizens better themselves and the country grows from the investment.

I do not see these in the same light as your mortgage deduction as there is no gain to society but only to those that are wealthy enough (as in having enough cash flow and a secure job as to give confidence that they may pay back the funds) to be able to acquire a house. The larger the purchase price of the house the more money that is removed from the government coffers which in turn has to be made up by someone else's contribution.

People will buy houses to live in and an identical home ownership rate in Canada shows that a government subsidy is not needed to promote home ownership. Let's face it, this is just another program that politicians threw to their voting public as a bribe for their vote. And over time it has become enshrined as a right to those that want to be homeowners. But that does not change the fact that it reduces your taxes and someone else has to make up for it. And that is not fair.
    Why do Americans need incentive but Canadians do not?
    Ok. I'll attempt to reduce it to a simplification again.

You believe that the government is the central supplier of all.

I, we, believe down here that government is the servant to the citizen and all progress comes from individual responsibility and ingenuity.

BTW, your post describes incentives.

I, we, believe down here that government is the servant to the citizen and all progress comes from individual responsibility and ingenuity.

I'll simplify it also. You think government should pay you a kickback (mortgage deduction). I do not think that is their job.

Until it comes to pouring asphalt. Then they feel they are the kings of all damnation.

10% +/-. No tax incentives for business. All pay the same, large and small.

As far as individuals go, the Bible tells us to take care of the NEEDY, not the "wanty". It says that if you can work and you won't, then you don't eat.

Now why would you take a conservative stance on taxes and a take a quote from a liberal book, The Bible, about work. Which is Ironic because Jesus said 'give unto ceasar that which is ceasars' and 'give up all you own and follow me'. And the most important quote from the Bible 'It would be easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to get into heaven'.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Now why would you take a conservative stance on taxes and a take a quote from a liberal book, The Bible, about work. Which is Ironic because Jesus said 'give unto ceasar that which is ceasars' and 'give up all you own and follow me'. And the most important quote from the Bible 'It would be easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to get into heaven'.
    I think the stance he was taking had nothing to do with taxes.

He clearly stated 10%

His biblical comment was intended to be interpreted as (and I'll quote)

"Be good to each other........Party on, Dude!" (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, 1989)

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    I think the stance he was taking had nothing to do with taxes.

He clearly stated 10%

His biblical comment was intended to be interpreted as (and I'll quote)

"Be good to each other........Party on, Dude!" (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, 1989)
    but what if ceasar wants 15%?

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    but what if ceasar wants 15%?
    15% indeed.

And that's exactly what has happened, only now Caesar wants 39% and wants to make you give half of your earnings to the deadbeat wino living in a van down by the river so he can also have the "right" of home ownership.

I do undeerstand what you are saying. However, there were times that ceasar needed more and he'd sent his soldiers into villages and take Everything or undertake wars of conquest to fill the treasury with looted riches.

The underlying message Christ was giving was to not worry about what Ceasar wanted, because in Christs kingdom you did not need money.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast