Hi - my parents are almost completed building their home and have had 2 ventless fireplaces installed. [1 is located on an exterior wall and the other is a 2-way on an interior wall] The house is 1 finish on the floor and a couple of countertops short of being moved into, so basically construction is completed.

Is there any way to convert either of these vent-free to a vented, or are there any other cost effective solutions available to them other than replacing either/both existing fireplaces with vented models?

I've recently read alot online about the dangers inherent with vent-free fireplaces and am trying to figure out their options and best course of action.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide!

Talking coming over from the Dark Side

Sorry but replacement is the only option and the correct one.

check out: http://www.fireplaces.com for some alternatives

Thanks for your reply Hearthman. Unfortunately, you've confirmed what I expected.

I was thinking direct vent might be best for the exterior wall fireplace. What kind of gas fireplace would you recommend for a 2-sided room divider fireplace installed in an interior wall though? Do you know if there are 2-sided fireplaces that can be vented down through the floor and along the basement ceiling to an exterior wall perhaps?

same website:
    Heat& Glo Gateway. B-vent down and out power vent.
    HTH

Thumbs down Makes me sick......

Did your parents want this vent free in the first place in thier new home??

If it came part of a "Package" of the house, I would ask the builder that you don't want to risk thier lifes with these death-waiting-to-happen fireplace, and you want a direct vent fire place.

Thanks Hearthman and Mayguy for both of your responses!

Heartman, I'll pass along your suggestion for installation of a vented see-through fireplace to my parents. [That seemed like a very good and detailed website that you provided.]

And Mayguy, my parents actually served as their own contractor for their home. So, unfortunately, there's no one to hold responsible. [I just happened to become aware of the negative research on the vent-frees when actually trying to find the best price on a 3rd unit that they were previously considering for their bedroom.] I think the only possible recourse for my parents is to attempt to negotiate an exchange or credit of some sort with the manufacturer as they haven't been used, but I'm not too hopeful as they were already installed.

At this point I'm just hoping that they won't use them and perhaps install vented fireplaces sometime in the future. I appreciate all of your help though - if only we'd gotten your input sooner...

[Edited by riannab on 01-12-2005 at 02:48 PM]

Fresh Air Kits?

Hi - it doesn't look like my parents are going to be able to replace their ventfree fireplaces with vented models in the near future. I recently heard about fresh air kits and was wondering if you thought it would be worth it to install one for each fireplace? Are these effective/worth it in lessening the harmful output of the ventfree fireplaces?

And, if you think it might be helpful to install these, can you recommend a source or actual model(s) that they might use?

Thanks!

air kits

Because you're using a listed product, you should only use air kits listed for use with that appliance. Do NOT hack holes into a VF that wasn't designed and tested for them. If you feel you need makeup air, introduce it into the house and it will help feed the Fp. As for sources, you can range from a hole in the wall to powered makeup air systems. Keep in mind these aren't going to change the way the Fp burns unless it's in a really small room in a tight house. It will affect the indoor air quality. However, don't expect miracles.