Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Our test is about half theory and about half questions that arise in the field. We use the test to weed out pretenders and to justify the pay scale the tech is asking for. Some examples of theory questions are: Define superheat and subcooling? An example of a practical knowledge question is: What information would you need to replace a condenser fan motor? There we're looking for voltage, RPM, frame, air over or enclosed, etc. We do a lot of "antique restoration" and can't get OEM parts for a lot of that stuff. Here's the simple question that trips up way too many people: How many amps can be drawn off a 48va transformer with a 120 volt primary and a 24v secondary on an ordinary gas furnace?

Let's see what kind of answers I get.

48va / 24v == 2amps

It can't be that easy if people miss it, so what did I do wrong?

Volts x amperes
    ---------------
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

No, you got it right. For some reason giving them the primary voltage confuses them and they start doing complicated math trying to figure it out. I would estimate that only 20% of the applicants get that right. Why the hell do they think all those units with a 75va transformer have a 3.2 amp fuse!

I got it wrong ahhhhhh! my brain.

Oopsi...my equasion is for kVA.

kVA= volts x amperes
    ---------------

[Edited by coolwhip on 01-10-2005 at 09:08 PM]
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Purchase a copy of the Technician Certification Exam Prep book at the top of this sites pages. The book covers the very types of questions that also appear on employer exams.

Many employers get their questions directly from RSES test materials and questions that appear at the end of RSES training materials.

Employers need to be careful about giving pre-employment entry tests. Many states prohibit them out of fear that that the test has not passed a discrimination oversight review. That is why many employers use certifications like NATE and RSES instead. The employer can ask for certifications without getting into a discrimination problem.

Norm

I got that right only because I recently read a thread here regarding this exact subject matter. This site rocks.

Originally posted by NormChris

Purchase a copy of the Technician Certification Exam Prep book at the top of this sites pages. The book covers the very types of questions that also appear on employer exams.

Many employers get their questions directly from RSES test materials and questions that appear at the end of RSES training materials.

Employers need to be careful about giving pre-employment entry tests. Many states prohibit them out of fear that that the test has not passed a discrimination oversight review. That is why many employers use certifications like NATE and RSES instead. The employer can ask for certifications without getting into a discrimination problem.

Norm
    Geez Norm, give me something else to worry about. We are a small company but are fully owned by a fortune 500 company so we have to follow all of those big company rules without the people in place to oversee and monitor it all. We use the test as more of a way to weed out pretenders. I often tell candidates on the phone to come on in and fill out an application and take a test and never hear from them again because they want no part of a test.

Seaboard, if anyone challenges you, your company can be in trouble for not using a standardized and approved test. You could also be accused of having several versions. The one you hand to people you don't care for and want to fail. And then the other one for everyone else.

There are several ways prospective employees can charge you and any lawyer can easily build a case against the company.

Cases like this have gone to court and the company usually is the looser.

Requiring prospective employees to show their NATE certifications is the better way to do it. The exams are already approved and are standardized. Plus, an outside agency conducts the exams and corrects them. An agency that has absolutely no direct ties to your business. Actually, you can even send the prospect to a NATE examiner or HVAC Excellence examiner and tell them to return with their test scores and you will then interview them.

Purchase a copy of the Technician Certification Exam Prep book at the top of this sites pages.
    Does that book come in hard back??

Originally posted by mattm
    Purchase a copy of the Technician Certification Exam Prep book at the top of this sites pages.
    Does that book come in hard back??

No. Why would you want it in hardback?

Thanx. I do CSR a bit diffrent then the book idea. I ohm out all the leads then take the pair with the highest resistance and those are Start and Run the odd man out is common then I ohm both leads against common ..the hiest is the Start winding and the lowest is the Run winding. And we did mess with dirty condenser coils. As for Diagrams I can read them very very well. Thanx for all the help I guess I'll just have to study a lil bit huh. Also getting certified with propane is pretty cool so congrats on that. Once again it is proof positive that as long as ya live you learn.

No. Why would you want it in hardback?

I just like my books in hard back, only reason. Will you autograph my book if I buy one??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast