Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by o-ring View Post
    I thing I have learned over the years is to slow down and be methodical, it helps diagnose and diagnose safetly.The pressure to get to the service calls as they stream in can sometimes be overwhelming and that is when you start to rush and increase your chances of getting injured. It is also impotant to be respectful of your job because as they say "familiarity breeds contempt"

My father told me when I was young and would work with him ... you have to slow down to hurry up ... he was right. As time went by others told me the same thing. I learned what they meant as I matured as a young working man, now I tell others.

You're welcome ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
    Originally, no. You just posted too soon and your post came in between it's true intent and purpose and aim and mark but since you did post so quickly and have now since assumed that it was about you, yes, you are my undertow but since I make it a habit of following natural protocol and precautions, I grabbed a life jacket before entering the water so I'm good with it.

ha.
    This attitude is one of the reasons I am comfortable that the HVAC industry will continue to become stronger and more viable as we old timers retire. The passion I see in those who are taking over the industry may at times be aggrevating and frustrating, but it is also what is going to keep the HVAC industry progressing into the future.

In other words, as we used to say when my hair was halfway down my back and most of my life's wisdom came from Mick Jagger and Jim Morrison; keep on keeping on.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I was minding my business , driving to my next call, and a woman ran a red light , I hit her and put an end to field work for me.
    Not really related to the job itself, but certainly a factor. The fact that HVAC work is not performed in the same place offers up it's own dangers for the industry.

So, what happened to the lady you maliciously smashed into just because she got in your way?

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    There are dangers in any job, especially if you are stupid or don't pay attention, just because you can get hurt doing HVAC work due to stupidity does not make HVAC an inherently dangerous job.
    Yes, there are dangers in all jobs. Secretary's can get a mean paper cut if they do not take precautions to avoid it. And the thought of a blister from having to use a hole punch all day long just sends shivers down my spine.

Then again, if electrical work is dangerous, then so is HVAC because we have to deal with electricity in a more diverse way because of the internal wiring of HVAC equipment being different then electricians are taught.

If plumbing is dangerous, then so is HVAC because we have to do plumbing type of work using much hotter temperature torches that use more violatile gases on piping that carries more toxic substances.

If rigging is dangerous, then so is HVAC because we must employ rigging methods to get equipment in, out and onto where it needs to be.

If roofing is dangerous, then so is HVAC because we are often installing of performing service to HVAC equipment that is located on roofs.

Overall, I can't think of any other trade that employs so many other trades in order to get the job done.

Just because HVAC work is inherently dangerous does not mean that we have to be injured or killed doing it. It is still dangerous and should not be done by those who do not understand the inherent dangers.

My insurance man told me more techs get kill driving to and from the jobs, then at job site. I don't know where he got that information, but I know a few that got hurt and kill while driving.

I have done construction work and worked offshore on an oil rig. Those and many jobs have daily potential for disaster, but in this work everyday is a different minefield to traverse. Everyday you are in different surroundings working with different machines.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    My father told me when I was young and would work with him ... you have to slow down to hurry up ... he was right. As time went by others told me the same thing. I learned what they meant as I matured as a young working man, now I tell others.

You're welcome ...

I like that. That's a more positive way of looking at; The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get.

A few things. First off, I'd determine if someone could properly use "your" and "you're" in a sentence to find out if I'd care to ever work with them. Pretty elementary diagnosis of any an individual as a professional in the field as to whom might be more inclined to think they know it all and eventually get hurt.

Secondly, danger is only relative to whom is in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyray View Post
    My insurance man told me more techs get kill driving to and from the jobs, then at job site. I don't know where he got that information, but I know a few that got hurt and kill while driving.
    That is accurate. Accidental deaths by vehicle accidents tops all lists for causes of accidental deaths no matter the reason for us being on the road;
    Motor vehicles accidents account for more deaths than all natural disasters combined. In fact in the United States your chances of being injured in an motor vehicle accident is better than one in a thousand, in any one year.
    http://www.disastercenter.com/traffic/

This is of course in the United States, where more of our citizens per capita drive vehicles on a regular basis. In some countries it may be snake bites that cause the highest number of fatalities. We just drive more.

If we do include vehicle death statistics into the equation of job dangers, then HVAC is more dangerous in that respect because of how often we are on the road traveling from one job to the next. I have had years where I have driven nearly 100K miles per year in my various jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by catcher View Post
    I have done construction work and worked offshore on an oil rig. Those and many jobs have daily potential for disaster, but in this work everyday is a different minefield to traverse. Everyday you are in different surroundings working with different machines.
    That certainly is a major factor. There are a whole different set of safety precautions we must take when switching from working on an oil boiler in a basement to a heat pump unit on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
    A few things. First off, I'd determine if someone could properly use "your" and "you're" in a sentence to find out if I'd care to ever work with them. Pretty elementary diagnosis of any an individual as a professional in the field as to whom might be more inclined to think they know it all and eventually get hurt.

Secondly, danger is only relative to whom is in charge.
    You're looking at things from a very cocky viewpoint which could be your downfall.

Danger is danger and is relative only to itself. Danger remains the same. It is we that must change in order to deal with levels of danger. In the case for this discussion of "how dangerous is HVAC work", we must consider that dangers are always present but because we can prepare accordingly, we can avoid the dangers. But! The dangers are still there.

I see this discussion as one that could cause severe harm to very new members of the HVAC profession or more so to those who want to do HVAC work as a DIY project. Let's not diminish the danger aspect of HVAC just because we as professionals are prepared to deal with the dangers.

so how are you now????

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    I was coming down off a roof and at the top of the hatch it was greasy, my hand slipped off the hatch as I was just reaching the rung with my other hand. I went over backwards and down, luckily for me about half way down I hit a unit heater. Hitting that heater straightened me out and I went down feet first and slower. I hit the floor and rolled to a safe landing, as I was laying there I thought how lucky I had just been. I was the only one in the building (something that always bothers me) and if I was hurt badly I would be in big trouble. There was a squirrel running around the building and I was looking at him thinking ... he would have a field day with me ... what would he munch on first ...

how bad were you hurt and how are you now???? hope you didn't have the usual comp hassle that most people have .

Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    how bad were you hurt and how are you now???? hope you didn't have the usual comp hassle that most people have .

Just a good sized welt where my back hit the unit heater, at first I was mad at the unit heater then I realized if it was not there I may have not been around any more. I did cry for a while, but nobody was there to give me a hug so I stopped.

I have only (hmm only) fallen one other time, the other time was from a ladder to a roof hatch as well. That time I fell about ten feet onto some cardboard box's ... kind of like in the movies, I was not hurt at all that time. Seems I have a fall about every fifteen years or so.

OH, I'm not counting slipping on ice, I've done that maybe five times, once on a roof, never seriously hurt.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast