Mini-split heat pump low outdoor temp help

Mini-split heat pump low outdoor temp help

First post here and looking for help. I had installed a Climette (ICP) 12000btu mini-split heat pump (R410A). All works well however I have a concern about low outdoor temperature, I live in an area where outdoor temperatures can easily reach -20f, I do not believe the heat pump will produce heat at that low temperature and all the literature and research I have done does not point to any type of low temperature cut off for the unit. I am concerned about possible damage to the unit at low outdoor temperature and the fact it would run for nothing wasting electricity. Are my concerns valid, are there kits to cut out the unit, would you cut the main power or a control wire. Any help would be appreciated.

Who installed it?

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclarry View Post
    Who installed it?
    Let's just say someone who doesn't seem to be able to answer this technical question.

ok this is a no dyi site so i can not give you tech advise..... at -20 yes you will not get good heat out of it, not 100% familer with that unit you can call a service company and see if they could add an ODT so it wont come on, at those temps without some sort of aux heat you will just waist energy. or you can just shut it off at the control so it wont come on

Thanks, this was not for a DIY, just like to be knowledgeable when having a contractor over to repair the issue.