Can the TCONT900 be used with the 3 Ton XR15 and a XC80 combination unit 4CXCD061CC3?

I have been told by my local NC dealer that the TCONT900 thermostat does not work with the XR15 (non communicating) and XC80 (communicating) blower/furnace combo unit 4CXCD061CC3. So am looking for Trane documentation to clarify if that is indeed the case and to find out if anyone selected the XL900 for use with the XR15/XC80. Otherwise planning to use the TCONT803.

Your dealer is correct, all equipent must be communicating type to correctly use that thermostat. The communicating equipment can be used without utilizing that function and a regular tstat.
    Yes, I've seen that before and it doesn't mean I like it.

You can use that control. As long as the indoor unit is communicating, the XR15 can easily be hooked up to the furnace with the same type of 2 wire connection as it would with an XV80.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You can use that control. As long as the indoor unit is communicating, the XR15 can easily be hooked up to the furnace with the same type of 2 wire connection as it would with an XV80.
    I'm in a similar situation with a 16i heat pump...would like to use the communicating controller and air handler for dehumidification but the 16i is noncommunicating. Was told that it wasn't supported, not sure if this is specific to the 16i and two-stage operation though.

I also thought I was being told that the communicating controller has a 3-wire digital interface so without some sort of equipment interface module like the VisionPro IAQ has there wasn't a way to connect these.

I know it can be used with an A/C outside. Need to do some digging on whether it can be used with a HP.

So far, found no indication the 900 can be used with anything standard outside but a single stage A/C. So the original poster in this thread can use it with an XC80 and XR15. But don't see at least from the manuals online, that it can be used with other non communicating outdoor units.

I stand corrected. This is copied from manual.
    begin quote:
    2. Communicating Indoor Unit - Single
    Stage Cooling Unit
    For a partially communicating system, the communicating
    Comfort Control will automatically configure the indoor
    equipment configuration and cycle rates for each stage.
    See Figure 3.
    NOTE: The outdoor equipment configuration will default
    to a single stage cooling unit.
    Yes, I've seen that before and it doesn't mean I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith73 View Post
    I stand corrected. This is copied from manual.
    begin quote:
    2. Communicating Indoor Unit - Single
    Stage Cooling Unit
    For a partially communicating system, the communicating
    Comfort Control will automatically configure the indoor
    equipment configuration and cycle rates for each stage.
    See Figure 3.
    NOTE: The outdoor equipment configuration will default
    to a single stage cooling unit.
    Keith73 Thank You for also checking the manual.

May I have the full name of the Trane manual and page number you are referring to. Is there a link to it ? I would like to email my dealer that page. I am hoping that once he sees the documentation he will agree to install the TCONT900.

I just installed a xc 95 and an xr 13 yesterday with a humidifier and the tcont 900 yesterday.

Install manual
    Attached Images Attached Images