Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thinking about a fishing vacation in the south. This will be in March or April. Maybe Texas, Arkansas or anywhere warm. Freshwater with a good lake where we can hire guides and gear. We aren't very good at the fishing but it would be nice to catch more than bluegills and bullheads. Also a nice cabin or lodge with good food and clean rooms.

So, there it is, let's hear your suggestions
    R2B4BTU

Lake Okeechobee, and the Kissimmee River in Florida have some Great Bass fishing. Guides available.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Freshwater fising is ok,but if you want to feel the real
    power,you need to do some deepsea fishing.

Nothing like hooking up to a marlin,or a shark for that matter.Feel the burn.

otto...go east on Schaumburg Rd then go south on Roselle Rd take that to the Jewel. they sell fish there.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by simpleman
    Freshwater fising is ok,but if you want to feel the real
    power,you need to do some deepsea fishing.

Nothing like hooking up to a marlin,or a shark for that matter.Feel the burn.

Amen...tuna is a tough fight too...never went for mako but the got charters going for them off of Long Island.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

To heck with the South, come up HERE to Minny Sota and do real real fishin, on the ice If your a Crappie fan, it doesnt get any better that Red Lake, Mn. 14" Crappie is your AVERAGE size. The bite is on this winter too, great one!
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Otto....go to Port Aransas....I can hook you up with a great deep sea trip....snapper, shark, tuna...I have been going for the last 5 years....worth every minute

larry

Geez, Otto, why don't you email Poppa who is a member here.
    He is out fishing all the time down there in Texas. Not only does he know how to caught them but he knows how to cook them.

Bet he would have a beer handy too. (not that this part would interest you.)

otto

Originally posted by benncool
    Geez, Otto, why don't you email Poppa who is a member here.
    He is out fishing all the time down there in Texas. Not only does he know how to caught them but he knows how to cook them.

Bet he would have a beer handy too. (not that this part would interest you.)

That's right. North Texas has pleanty of good crappie and bream lakes. Lake Fork would be one that comes to mind. There is a woman crappie quide there that will limit you out every time. You could go with her one day and I'll take ya out one day for free if ya remember where she takes ya.

I'll get some numbers if ya want, let me know. That is an excellent time of year to fish here but the guides would know best.

Otto best fishing trip is a little south and west of Texas, Cabo San Lucas Mexico I go every year leaving on February 8th. My Daughter and her new Husband left this morning.

As to fishing in Texas we have many great lakes, as Poppa says lake fork is nice but there tends to be allot of incautious fisherman; at least for Bass. The Crappie fishing is great there and guides can be very reasonable.
    That time of year Sam Rayburn is probably my choice for Bass or even Crappie. Lake Whitney between Fort Worth and Waco is the best Small mouth fishing in the Country. If you like very consistent fishing with the opportunity for a Lunker bass try Choke Canyon in South Texas between San Antone and Corpus Christi. Choke Canyon is a small 3500-acre power plant lake that I have more fun fishing except for Guerrero in Mexico. Choke also has a plethora of wild game that is always present for viewing, like wild turkey's Quail White tail some Fallow and Axis deer. All of these lakes have numerous guides available and Coke has an Inn and restaurant owned and frequented by Nolan Ryan.

Do a search on the Internet for these lakes or just fishing in Texas you can also look up TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife) it has a complete listing and synopsis of all Texas lakes and parks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/inf...fishreport.php

If you want the ultimate bass fishing trip that should not be that expensive contact Jimmy Houston fishing trips and find out about going to Cuba. Tell Jimmy Al Fowler jr. told you to call.

http://www.theperfect.com/forfishingincuba/

http://www.cubatravelusa.com/bass-fishing.htm

BTW I have a nearly 19# bass on my wall from Cuba.

If you come down around Houston I can take you out to several good Bass lake or and the bays around Galveston. Problem for me is I will be very busy and would probably not have the time.

The Lodge idea sounds promising. I have been surfing around this morning looking for something like that. I want to find something at or near the water with guides available and a lake that is not crowded with plenty of fish. Asking alot, huh? Is the lodge frequented by Mr. Ryan in Coke or Choke?
    R2B4BTU

otto

there is going to be a tackle show next week. I'll get some guides websites for ya. White bass, striper, crappie, catfish all good then. I don't black bass fish but I know some good bass guides.

classical sounds more versed in the farther south.

Look at http://www.texasfishingforum.com

btw classical are you on the "forum"?

I use the same name their.

[Edited by poppa on 01-09-2005 at 12:13 PM]

Poppa I think I was a few years back when I was buying a new boat. I really don't have time to fish anymore except on vacations. When we go to the lake during the summer it is mostly to tube ski and just relax.

My father was the big fisherman he was one of the first bass tournament fisherman in the country. He had allot to do with the Texas bass tournament (oldest bass tournament in the country) he was original member of BASS president of Project Sports Inc. owned American Anglers Association one of the first to go to Cuba in 1976. My younger brother is doing some tournament fishing around Indiana & Kentucky. I personally actually saltwater fishing and Fly Fishing best.

Otto I am not sure if Nolan still owns the Bassin Inn it has been several years since I was there. I have seen him there 3 or 4 times during 8 trips but that was right after he bought it. This is not a resort just a fisherman’s motel with a nice restaurant. It is in a small town about 150 miles south of San Antonio and about the same distance north of Corpus. For Texas these are considered close together. My understanding is there is a nice fishing lodge below Lake Whiney past the Trail races of the Dam the have guides for the lake which holds the worlds record Small mouth and there are some very large stripers above and below the dam.

Do you plan to drive down or fly if you are flying and all you want is fishing and beer look into one of the Mexican lodges like Guerrero. Here again Jimmy Houston travel can set you up. You may also be able to get in some dove and quail hunting. These resorts are very isolated and provide no diversion for the wife if she likes looking around or shopping. They are compounds and you don't leave until ready to go home.

If you want to go to Cabo it is really very reasonable as far as airfare and I have several timeshare weeks each year that I can make you a real deal on if you want. However if you like good food and don't want to cook in the room yourself Cabo is pricey. The fishing trips will run from $250.00 for a half day to most commonly around $550.00 to $650.00 per day some boats run $1500.00 and more per day.

A good guide here will run $250.00 to $550.00 per day depending on what you are doing. A bass guide is in the $250.00 to $300.00 per 6 hr. day includes rod and tackle. A bay trip for Specs and Redfish will run the same to around $450.00. An offshore trip to deep water is generally and overnight or 2-day trip and can run upwards of $2500.00. It may be less expensive around Corpus as they don't have to run as far for blue water. Also down around Corpus is the Laguna Madre and it has some of the best bay fishing available anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast