Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    All empires rise and fall. Look at France, Look at England. And the long line to Rome and even Egypt. History shows that no one stays on the top forever. Mainly because they grow larger than they can sustain. Usually when they loose control of the world outside their borders that at one time was used to sustain them.

Mind you China has a continuous history that goes back to the time of the Egyptian Pharaohs.
    I am well aware of history my northern friend...

What concerns me is my gut says there might be a desire for the USA to fail... This is not something I take lightly... Call it nationalistic pride.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Indeed!!! If anyone 'deserves' to be top dog, it would be China. They have more history than about any country currently in the world... yet they are just a large 'factory' to the world.

I bet before communism came along; The government of China bailed out many a financial institution... as they do now: ALL the banks in China are government owned and funded. Sound familiar?
    Hey John I think you been eating to much Chinese lately, back off for a while and eat some good Southern cooking and your mind will clear up. Hell we go out and have a few beers at the Southern Air. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Hey John I think you been eating to much Chinese lately, back off for a while and eat some good Southern cooking and your mind will clear up. Hell we go out and have a few beers at the Southern Air. Thank you, thank you very much
    Hi Glenn,

Yeah, I have been eating Chinese lately... Dad seems to like it... and I will take care of Dad while he is still on the earth...

Read the posts between Printer and I... should show where I am coming from.

One can say: ABC country deserves to be on top; While they live in XYZ country and know their country will remain on top.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I am well aware of history my northern friend...

What concerns me is my gut says there might be a desire for the USA to fail... This is not something I take lightly... Call it nationalistic pride.
    And I would probably feel the same way. The English are proud of their mark on the world, the French still think they are a driving force, Americans will still be a major force in the world. It is not a question of failing but overextending oneself and future glories will never live up to those 'Golden Times'.

One of the things that are changing the dynamic is that nationality is not really a driving force in the world today, at least to the ones that have great control over where the world is going. Just today Vale, a Brazilian company, has decided to shut down a local smelter and ship production to another site. Australia's BHP tried to perform a $40 billion hostile takeover for PotashCorp of Saskatchewan giving it over half the world's supply of the compound used to make fertilizer which is vital for modern farming. The Canadian government decided to squash the sale as it had no net benefit to Canada. Investors around the world are pissed that the Canadian government put national interest in front of business.

The big players in the world no longer care about the countries they originated from or where their head office resides. They seem to be an entity only interested in themselves. If they see greener pastures where they can squeeze another buck they seem to take it. From my point of view as much as I hate to say it, it seems they are willing to wring out as much wealth out of the US then allow it to hang out and dry. Living next to you and with our economies so entwined it is the last thing I want to see.

And I would probably feel the same way. The English are proud of their mark on the world, the French still think they are a driving force, Americans will still be a major force in the world. It is not a question of failing but overextending oneself and future glories will never live up to those 'Golden Times'.

I agree that it could appear the USA peaked in the 70's and 80's... However I also think there is not a world force that could trump the USA. Lots of reasons, too numerous for late in the evening when I have a LONG day tomorrow.

One of the things that are changing the dynamic is that nationality is not really a driving force in the world today, at least to the ones that have great control over where the world is going. Just today Vale, a Brazilian company, has decided to shut down a local smelter and ship production to another site. Australia's BHP tried to perform a $40 billion hostile takeover for PotashCorp of Saskatchewan giving it over half the world's supply of the compound used to make fertilizer which is vital for modern farming. The Canadian government decided to squash the sale as it had no net benefit to Canada. Investors around the world are pissed that the Canadian government put national interest in front of business.

Big corporations tend to be that way... most of the time the govt of the country the corp is home to will kiss up... Sometimes the govt will 'arrange' a mutual agreement...
    There is one thing going for the USA here: This is the most free envoironment for a company to do business anywhere in the world... And the corp bosses know it.

The big players in the world no longer care about the countries they originated from or where their head office resides. They seem to be an entity only interested in themselves. If they see greener pastures where they can squeeze another buck they seem to take it. From my point of view as much as I hate to say it, it seems they are willing to wring out as much wealth out of the US then allow it to hang out and dry. Living next to you and with our economies so entwined it is the last thing I want to see.

Here I would have to disagree. The reason is the USA is the world's police... And having good standing with the 'cops' does give one an advantage. Think in terms of the hegemony of the US$... A clearly unfair advantage to US based firms doing business in US$'s.

Having said this: The US$ is kinda weak lately... like it was in the late 1970's and early 1980's... Look what happened when we got our act together again...
    My case rests.

Time to call it a night.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Here I would have to disagree. The reason is the USA is the world's police... And having good standing with the 'cops' does give one an advantage. Think in terms of the hegemony of the US$... A clearly unfair advantage to US based firms doing business in US$'s.

Having said this: The US$ is kinda weak lately... like it was in the late 1970's and early 1980's... Look what happened when we got our act together again...
    My case rests.
    Actually I agree with you also. But if you do not get your finances in order it will compromise this relationship. Nothing unfair about providing a service and reaping the rewards. Well at least that is my opinion. There are others see it as imperialism.

Actually I agree with you also. But if you do not get your finances in order it will compromise this relationship. Nothing unfair about providing a service and reaping the rewards. Well at least that is my opinion. There are others see it as imperialism.
    Mornin Printer,

Here is my prediction... may go a little different in the details:

As much as Wash DC and the Fed deny it... the goal IMO is managed inflation. (Remember that ALL inflation is monetary in nature... it just appears in segments of the economy). As the price of goods goes up, wages will go up... repeat...repeat... And I suspect we may have a period of managed (they will deny it) stagflation. The end result will be paying down debt with cheaper US$$$... When debt is lowered enough for optimism... the US economy will start humming along again.

Along the way, some asset classes (like bloated corporations, over priced commercial RE, lofty leveraged deals, etc) will loose significant value. (This is where Japan stubbed their toe, they bought at the top of the market... like China is doing now).

The thing I hope does NOT happen is another brush battle (military conflict) along the way to divert public attention and pump the economy. I fear sooner or later, we will have some 'hot' conflict on N American soil... Besides not wanting it in my backyard... I am not sure the public of either of our countries understands how to handle that kind of stress. And it goes without saying; it would be tempting for the polcats (politicians) to declare marshall law and strip freedoms... in the name of safety... We may NEVER get back the freedoms we lost in the name of safety... Think TSA here... How do you like having your body gropped... in the name of safety?

Thoughts?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

The only reason anyone would take on debt is so they can pay for what they buy today and pay for it with money that is worth less in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by zzonko View Post
    Hey DW; looks like you have competition!!!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I am sure it was a lot longer than someone making a sketch on the back of a napkin. Yes the parts were made off site. It goes to show the planing and the infrastructure the Chinese are going through in their industries. They are not a bunch of backward third worlders that are willing to sit still.
    Imagine the lack of impact this type of construction would have on traffic and infrastucture in general especially when building in a large city. In and out in one week, construction would barely be noticed. Was any mention made of the scheduling of the workers? Was it in shifts with work being done around the clock?
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    Imagine the lack of impact this type of construction would have on traffic and infrastucture in general especially when building in a large city. In and out in one week, construction would barely be noticed. Was any mention made of the scheduling of the workers? Was it in shifts with work being done around the clock?
    They were using lighting so it looked like round the clock.

since when vehicle made in china will hold up in the long run? had chinese copy of honda motor cycle back home, and what junk is that thing... same with chinese made cars. you wouldn't trust your kids in them, or would you?.

and those poor sailor that will sail under the water w/ boat... hopefully the weld will hold up in corrossive water. the local party leader might skim some of the money that is used for the build...
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast