Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 76
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Building a Carrier is only part of what it takes to have them in a Navy.

    You also need trained pilots and crews. But I think they should start helping with policing the oceans.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cool4us View Post
    Considerable wealth and natural resources, Canada doesn't own a carrier itself. Canada depends on the USA for defense.
    Defense from who? List of world aircraft carriers.

    United States.....11
    United Kingdom...2
    France.................1
    Russia.................1
    Italy....................2
    India...................1
    Spain..................2
    Brazil..................1
    Thailand..............1

    Now which ones have been a threat to Canada? Russia? And considering the shortest distance between our countries if a brief plane ride away does it make sense to have an aircraft carrier? Sure it would be nice having one but we put our eggs in other baskets.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Defense from who? List of world aircraft carriers.

    United States.....11
    United Kingdom...2
    France.................1
    Russia.................1
    Italy....................2
    India...................1
    Spain..................2
    Brazil..................1
    Thailand..............1

    Now which ones have been a threat to Canada? Russia? And considering the shortest distance between our countries if a brief plane ride away does it make sense to have an aircraft carrier? Sure it would be nice having one but we put our eggs in other baskets.
    ya, the basket going to mamby-pamby land
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    ya, the basket going to mamby-pamby land
    Where would that be?

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cool4us View Post
    Considerable wealth and natural resources, Canada doesn't own a carrier itself. Canada depends on the USA for defense.
    That is because we need ice breakers first!
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

  6. #19
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Where would that be?

    800 miles North-North east
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    888

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Defense from who? List of world aircraft carriers.

    United States.....11
    United Kingdom...2
    France.................1
    Russia.................1
    Italy....................2
    India...................1
    Spain..................2
    Brazil..................1
    Thailand..............1

    Now which ones have been a threat to Canada? Russia? And considering the shortest distance between our countries if a brief plane ride away does it make sense to have an aircraft carrier? Sure it would be nice having one but we put our eggs in other baskets.
    Your thinking clearly shows that Canada is not a superpower that projects military might worlwide. Therefore Canadians like yourself can't wrap your minds around the awesome responsibility the USA carries on it's shoulders.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cool4us View Post
    Your thinking clearly shows that Canada is not a superpower that projects military might worlwide. Therefore Canadians like yourself can't wrap your minds around the awesome responsibility the USA carries on it's shoulders.
    The vast majority of Canadians, Australians and the British are quite aware of the burden borne by the US on the world stage and are very respectful of this fact. Policing the world is a thankless job and it costs a lot of money. From a US perspective I am sure that it also brings a lot of pride having the cutting edge in military technology and power.
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by o-ring View Post
    The vast majority of Canadians, Australians and the British are quite aware of the burden borne by the US on the world stage and are very respectful of this fact. Policing the world is a thankless job and it costs a lot of money. From a US perspective I am sure that it also brings a lot of pride having the cutting edge in military technology and power.

    ya, right up to the point of Friendly fire, at which point the world jumps back and gasps~~~how could this happen in a war zone??
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    ya, right up to the point of Friendly fire, at which point the world jumps back and gasps~~~how could this happen in a war zone??
    The anti war brigade in any country are up in arms when friendly fire incidents happen, the reality is they happen we just need to try to limit them.
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

  11. #24
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by o-ring View Post
    The anti war brigade in any country are up in arms when friendly fire incidents happen, the reality is they happen we just need to try to limit them.

    I'll drink to that
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,620
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Building a Carrier is only part of what it takes to have them in a Navy.

    You also need trained pilots and crews. But I think they should start helping with policing the oceans.
    Perhaps you prefer commie police over American huh ace? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Perhaps you prefer commie police over American huh ace? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you, thank you very much
    I don't remember saying that Glen. Heck the Chinese are fighting a war in Africa right now and nobody says anything about it.

    Besides, the Chinese were our Ally in the last war of importance.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event