Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Mornin Printer,

Here is my prediction... may go a little different in the details:

As much as Wash DC and the Fed deny it... the goal IMO is managed inflation. (Remember that ALL inflation is monetary in nature... it just appears in segments of the economy). As the price of goods goes up, wages will go up... repeat...repeat... And I suspect we may have a period of managed (they will deny it) stagflation. The end result will be paying down debt with cheaper US$$$... When debt is lowered enough for optimism... the US economy will start humming along again.

Along the way, some asset classes (like bloated corporations, over priced commercial RE, lofty leveraged deals, etc) will loose significant value. (This is where Japan stubbed their toe, they bought at the top of the market... like China is doing now).
    Sounds about right.

The thing I hope does NOT happen is another brush battle (military conflict) along the way to divert public attention and pump the economy. I fear sooner or later, we will have some 'hot' conflict on N American soil... Besides not wanting it in my backyard... I am not sure the public of either of our countries understands how to handle that kind of stress. And it goes without saying; it would be tempting for the polcats (politicians) to declare marshall law and strip freedoms... in the name of safety... We may NEVER get back the freedoms we lost in the name of safety... Think TSA here... How do you like having your body gropped... in the name of safety?

Thoughts?
    Can not see a conflict within the US, for all your division politically there is no movement of one peoples wanting to separate from another. You did your fighting long time ago and resolved your differences. Mexico border is a crap shoot with the drug gangs and corruption, for all we know anything could happen.

The loss of freedom, well that is a concern. Americans if anything are passionate. One of the things that worry us up here is that something bad happens and a nationalistic movement starts up and takes hold of your country. One that mimics what happened in Germany with worthwhile intentions at first but then goes horribly wrong. And I think you are right on how they would sell it, that it is the only way to keep you safe.

That is what I would aim for if I was involved in a terrorist organization. Get the same thing going as with Israel and the Palestinians. As soon as the two sides get closer to solving their differences someone blows something up to separate the two. I would not bet any money against someone attempting to galvanize the US people into a similar mind on fighting an enemy within.

But then I see people now getting fed up and tired of the security and the hoops they have to jump through. You guys are not very good at being herded. I think you may even say enough is enough and if the odd terrorist has some success and kills some people you are not going to let them change who you are.

Contrary to what some may think here I do not make a good liberal. I am all for profiling, if you are a minority and it is shown that there is a much greater chance of your kind doing others harm you are going to get scrutinized to a greater extent. You don't like it move somewhere else. I am not for reducing risk to the point of strangling a society.

I do not think there should be labels on ladders telling people that they may be in danger if they use one. Anyone going to court and looking for compensation after hurting themselves on a ladder should be laughed at and thrown out of court. I think everyone should realize that human lives are important but to give in to others when they take a few lives just gives them power over you. And that just gives them reason to continue the cycle.

Well I did side track here a little but for the question of getting groped in the name of safety, I have no problem with it. Mind you if they can not prove that people of my profile have been known to be the cause of trouble I would get pissed off that they are wasting their time and not looking where the chances are more likely that they will find a bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    since when vehicle made in china will hold up in the long run? had chinese copy of honda motor cycle back home, and what junk is that thing... same with chinese made cars. you wouldn't trust your kids in them, or would you?.

and those poor sailor that will sail under the water w/ boat... hopefully the weld will hold up in corrossive water. the local party leader might skim some of the money that is used for the build...
    At one time you could not buy a cutting tool that would last five minutes from China. Now they are making tools as good as any made. CNC machines work just as good there as any other country. While all their industry meets the highest standards they can and do make products that do. They are getting better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Sounds about right.

Can not see a conflict within the US, for all your division politically there is no movement of one peoples wanting to separate from another. You did your fighting long time ago and resolved your differences. Mexico border is a crap shoot with the drug gangs and corruption, for all we know anything could happen.

The loss of freedom, well that is a concern. Americans if anything are passionate. One of the things that worry us up here is that something bad happens and a nationalistic movement starts up and takes hold of your country. One that mimics what happened in Germany with worthwhile intentions at first but then goes horribly wrong. And I think you are right on how they would sell it, that it is the only way to keep you safe.

That is what I would aim for if I was involved in a terrorist organization. Get the same thing going as with Israel and the Palestinians. As soon as the two sides get closer to solving their differences someone blows something up to separate the two. I would not bet any money against someone attempting to galvanize the US people into a similar mind on fighting an enemy within.

But then I see people now getting fed up and tired of the security and the hoops they have to jump through. You guys are not very good at being herded. I think you may even say enough is enough and if the odd terrorist has some success and kills some people you are not going to let them change who you are.

Contrary to what some may think here I do not make a good liberal. I am all for profiling, if you are a minority and it is shown that there is a much greater chance of your kind doing others harm you are going to get scrutinized to a greater extent. You don't like it move somewhere else. I am not for reducing risk to the point of strangling a society.

I do not think there should be labels on ladders telling people that they may be in danger if they use one. Anyone going to court and looking for compensation after hurting themselves on a ladder should be laughed at and thrown out of court. I think everyone should realize that human lives are important but to give in to others when they take a few lives just gives them power over you. And that just gives them reason to continue the cycle.

Well I did side track here a little but for the question of getting groped in the name of safety, I have no problem with it. Mind you if they can not prove that people of my profile have been known to be the cause of trouble I would get pissed off that they are wasting their time and not looking where the chances are more likely that they will find a bad guy.
    You surprise me Printer (unless you are a chemilian... little green lizzard that changes color to blend in... ). And yes, you do not make a good liberal... more of a fact driven pragmatist IMO.

The areas I would disagree are:

The conflict within the USA would be a race or faith rising up... and I will not make any references. Follow with me for a few minutes...

The part about terrorists, loss of freedom, and being herded... Well I am sure you know where the passion for freedom comes from: We WON it to become a country. And freedom and Capitalism and running one's business kinda all go together down here... Kinda our national heritage IMO.

The idea that we could walk in the steps of Germany between the wars... Well that was the reason Stephen Speilburg made the movie about the holocaust. Put it on record so NOBODY can deny what 'can' happen. IMO each generation needs to be painfully reminded what can happen if they do not choose their beliefs and actions carefully... (interesting that you guys up north are concerned about that... I had not ever given it a second thought)... read on:

OK: Here is something interesting: I am a gun-owner (no, that is not the point... LOL). I have not been much into the 'gun' world for a few years, decided I would go to a gun show in August. I looked online to find the weekend they would have it (they have one about once a month at a small building a few miles from me). Well in looking I find the following:
    *There are almost a half dozen gun shows within a reasonable drive on that Saturday...
    *There are about 25-30 gun shows that same Saturday just in GA...
    *There could be as many as 500 across the USA that Saturday...
    *AND: this goes on almost every weekend (except holidays like THXgiving, Christmas, etc).
    Now at the gun show, I see something like 1000+ tables with folks exhibiting all manor of firearms and accessories. There could easily have been over 50K guns in the building... and I would not be surprised if there were over 100K... And ammunition: I found over 2 dozen folks that had literally tens of thousands of bullets EACH for sale... no paperwork... cash. I also noted that many guns exchanged hands for cash with no paperwork.
    Now multiply this times 500 across the USA on only one day... and this goes on almost every weekend...
    Now tell me some banana republic dictator with a couple thousand goons with AK-47's is going to make a dent in the USA??? I doubt it.

The only division of this country being talked about is Texas seccceeding... and they talk about that all the time... never will happen... But if it does... I will be the first immigrant... (I grew up there).

Interesting you more or less agree with my prediction of the next few years of the USA economy... not too many folks understand what I wrote above.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Pragmatist, I could go for that. I am not really tied to one political way of thinking and look at what the net effect on society is.

I forgot about the race and religion element. While I do understand a fair bit of your society and mine are quite similar those two are where we diverge a bit. We tend to be more muted in our religious practices up here and the major race issues we have had between groups in my country was between the English and French. Recently our Indians have caused more friction than any other group but generally race is not that big of an issue. I did know that race and religion factor strongly in your country but I did not think to the extent where it may threaten the stability of the country.

Been to a couple of gun shows across the line. Another place where you are a little more passionate than us. They are more woven into the fabric of your society than ours.

We have Quebec that gives a serious attempt at trying to seperate every once in a while but I think that is less likely to happen as our demographic changes. We are adding more immigrants to our country every year but generally ones that we invite in. Not too much illegal immigration here.

Can't see why your thoughts on the economy would be hard to understand., seems fairly straightforward.

-----Canadians can not wrap our minds around the awesome responsibilities that come with living in this big bad world. How can we when we are too busy shoveling snow?
    Now that was funny!

BTW In Florida we have to shovel dead bugs and spray the live ones....

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Now that was funny!

BTW In Florida we have to shovel dead bugs and spray the live ones....
    Going out to shovel today. Had our first dump of the season on the weekend.

Chinese jet fighter 'sighting' raises fears over region's military power balance

Image reportedly showing prototype of China's fifth generation J-20 stealth fighter has been circulating on the internet

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...military-power

Wonder how much they copied.

Good excuse for a larger military budget... Gotta keep that Military Industrial Complex running you know...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

That was probably a mock-up model [like the old Godzilla movies] that was shown so that the Chinese could sell our Military a lot more stuff to try and "keep up with them". Without Chinese manufacted goods there would not be any equipment for our Military at all. These are just "budget inflators".

At one time you could not buy a cutting tool that would last five minutes from China. Now they are making tools as good as any made. CNC machines work just as good there as any other country. While all their industry meets the highest standards they can and do make products that do. They are getting better all the time.
    You would be surprised at the all american usa apple pie chevrolet companies that are setting up shop in china....improving the chinese manufacturing standards.....

I dont buy anything chinese.....that I know of....but it is just a given that the quality of their goods is increasing as they open their own markets to US manufacturing.....and US manufacturings Japanese manufacturing techniques......lol
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    You would be surprised at the all american usa apple pie chevrolet companies that are setting up shop in china....improving the chinese manufacturing standards.....

I dont buy anything chinese.....that I know of....but it is just a given that the quality of their goods is increasing as they open their own markets to US manufacturing.....and US manufacturings Japanese manufacturing techniques......lol
    Not surprised. Last year the car companies sold more cars in China than the US. And their economy is where ours was in the 50's.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456