Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Lottery

Re: From a British Website...........

Originally posted by icemeister

open and Kevin is confronted by the voice of God Himself:

"Kevin, meet Me halfway on this. Buy a ticket."

This explains everything. No wonder I never win.

Good one ice.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Told my mother that if i win i would get my eyes fixed and then have the family killed. My daughter said daddy thats awful why would you do that? Well thats simple you always hear about the wife or kids killing off the old man for the dough, so thats why. But don't worry i like you best so you'll be last. That seemed to make her happy.

All kidding aside i believe that everyones life is centered and you always return to center. So if you win a really big lottery it will put you way off center in a good way. Then something will have to happen in a bad way to bring you back to center. So there, chew on that.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

The odds of winning.........

Jackpot (all six winning numbers selected)

There are a total of 13,983,816 different groups of six numbers which could be drawn from the set {1, 2, ... , 49}. To see this we observe that there are 49 possibilities for the first number drawn, following which there are 48 possibilities for the second number, 47 for the third, 46 for the fourth, 45 for the fifth, and 44 for the sixth. If we multiply the numbers 49 x 48 x 47 x 46 x 45 x 44 we get 10,068,347,520. However, each possible group of six numbers (combination) can be drawn in different ways depending on which number in the group was drawn first, which was drawn second, and so on. There are 6 choices for the first, 5 for the second, 4 for the third, 3 for the fourth, 2 for the fifth, and 1 for the sixth. Multiply these numbers out to arrive at 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 720. We then need to divide 10,068,347,520 by 720 to arrive at the figure 13,983,816 as the number of different groups of six numbers (different picks). Since all numbers are assumed to be equally likely and since the probability of some number being drawn must be one, it follows that each pick of six numbers has a probability of 1/13,983,816 = 0.00000007151. This is roughly the same probability as obtaining 24 heads in succession when flipping a fair coin!

The Lottery is a tax on those who failed math.

If you play two tickets instead of one do the odds reduce by half?...... no, the odds are now reduced from 1:13,983,816 to 1:13,983,815.........WhooooHoooooo!!!

Several years ago we knew a couple who were distant relatives of someone who won the Pa. lotto. You should have heard the stories, unreal. The daughter always bought the tics, the mom left her money on the bureau every day for the daughter to pcik up, this day the mom forgot so the daughter used her own, it hit. Needles to say, the daughter now felt it was her money even though it was mom's numbers she played day after day.
    And the daughters hubby was out spending and borrowing money on next years installment. Buying fancy cars and the like.It was a real mess and the fam was fighting like jews and arabs.
    Money not earned is often money that you shouldn't have.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Re: The odds of winning.........

Originally posted by icemeister
    [i]Jackpot (all six winning numbers selected)

If you play two tickets instead of one do the odds reduce by half?...... no, the odds are now reduced from 1:13,983,816 to 1:13,983,815.........WhooooHoooooo!!!
    You would be amazed at how many people don't know that.......... and don't wait for the lottery to tell you either.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

never mind

[Edited by glennwith2ns on 01-09-2005 at 06:26 PM]

I play when the pot is over $20 mil. In my opinion the conversations that buying a ticket create are worth much more that $1. My wife and I know that we would never win but you can not beat the entertainment value.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Who said, "The Lottery is a tax on the stupid?"

Ross Peroit, like I said on the first page.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Ross Peroit, like I said on the first page.
    You loved that line so much I just thought that I would repeat it. You, horny goat lover, you.

Me thinks you were just too lazy to read the entire thread...........

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I live in the same town as this family does.It wasn't the money they where a bad family to begin with.

FRAMEHVAC; Ask them if i can borrow some money, i'm a little low and can't play my two tickets tomorrow.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast