Thread: High pot test

Hi guys
    I'm gonna high pot test an electrical panel of our boilers.Actually ,I know the instruction of the Hi-pot tester which is from Biddle instrument ,but I've never done it before.The power line of the E-panel is one of 115v/208-230/1Ph/60Hz or 208-230/460/575/3Ph/60Hz and the control line is 115-120v/1Ph/60Hz or 24Vac.I don't know how to test this panel.It's a simple panel consist of temp controller,burner controller and relays and timers,actuators and ....Could you please help me to find out it?Thanks

Why would you High Pot a control panel? That is a destructive test. Even if you meant to say Meg test, why would you meg a control panel. That is typically a test done on motor windings.

This is one of Q.C factory test report items that should be done by electrical dep.All questions are just about electrical panel,e.g.:is the wiring of panel according to electrical wiring diagram?all wiring are tight?is hi-pot test done on panel?is it cleaned and vaccumed,...and to pass the Q.C test,panel shoul meet all listed requirements.I look forward to hearing from u guys and appreciate it.

Originally posted by november04
    ?is hi-pot test done on panel?
    No,I'm ignorant of this also and want to hear more.
    Hi pot/meggers are for checking insulation,right?
    What is the procedure?How will you connect,ect..

Geez,you're scarin me

Originally posted by november04
    This is one of Q.C factory test report items that should be done by electrical dep.All questions are just about electrical panel,e.g.:is the wiring of panel according to electrical wiring diagram?all wiring are tight?is hi-pot test done on panel?is it cleaned and vaccumed,...and to pass the Q.C test,panel shoul meet all listed requirements.I look forward to hearing from u guys and appreciate it.
    November04,

It sounds like you are reading a factory proceedure which is used to verify that factory personell (not you) have performed thier quality control tests before the unit is shipped from the factory.

Many years ago I worked in a factory on the assembly line and performed just such a test. In essence the test is indeed a megger test whereas very high voltage, low amperage is applied to the unit and a check is made to see if there are any short circuits , pinched wires etc.

These were UL required FACTORY tests and they knew which components of the unit could stand this test and which components (usually electronic) would be destroyed by the test.

I would not attempt to HI POT anything where even the slightest chance of damage to a component exists unless you want to assume full liability of the consequences!

Hi everyone,
    I'm still looking for a procedure to hi-pot test the panel according to some information in CSA-C22.2,No.3.I appreciate your advices ...

Angry Slow Down..

You Might want to Pull your Head Out Of (***) that Book.
    and think about it first. but just in case (see below)

1)Iso everything...controls/etc. before you test anything..

2)Why dont you Do a Inferred scan on the Pnl, instead?

3) Check every connection/reading etc..Before you Blow it up. (Might want to have some spare parts? just in case.)

Sorry we (real world) dont like to Test? Control stuff like this..Good Luck

O.K. November04,

Start here with a good quality Hi-Pot machine:

http://www.tequipment.net/VitrekPriceList.asp

Their manuals will explain procedures.